Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 07:28 PM

66 posts, read 202,333 times

Advertisements

Just thought about something, my son will be entering Kindergarten this fall, so childcare will only be an issue for the Summer. I can only work during the day anyway, so when school starts, he can go to an after-school program for a few hours. Childcare for interviews . . . didn't think about that. It might be best to get him enrolled in daycare/preschool right away (especially at a place I might be able to work at) so that while he's there, I can be on the job hunt and interviewing. Thanks for jogging my brain.

If you could spare me the trouble of looking myself: what areas of Dallas should I avoid moving into? My price range for rent is $850 or less for a 2br apartment or 1br with a Den. Size isn't that important, but nothing too small. That way when I get there, I can go straight into the areas I think would be best and not waste time driving all across town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Are you affiliated with a church? Perhaps a church in the same denomination here could help you out --- good luck to you.
Yes. Maybe. I guess I could look into that. Thanks for the idea.

Old 04-30-2010, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
You will be perfectly fine. Others have done what you are about to do.
Thank you.

Quote:
First off, search online for temp agencies that have offices in Dallas (all nationwide ones do). You have to upload a resume and do testing for them. You may do so where you live and just update your address to the Dallas area. This way, you already have possibilities lined up. Try Kelly Staffing, Dicker Staffing, I had luck with both (quick placements). You can also try websites like career builder or indeed and search dallas and choose the field you want a job in. Most jobs are placed through, once again, employment agencies, and you have to create the online profiles in order to apply and it is a process and takes time, so you will have options, but get the ball rolling before you move. Just put down any random Dallas street address for the time being and update it when you move so your resume is taken seriously.
Again, thank you for the referrals. You don't know how much this helps.

Quote:
Your money will last you assuming you choose an apartment that is affordable. Some apartments have all bills included (mine in East Dallas does) so this helps eliminate costs of deposits for new service to be turned on.
If you don't mind me asking, what is your current rent?

Quote:
Look for an apartment within the 635 Loop, in Dallas proper. That way, you will be central to most areas since you could end up working anywhere, but most likely somewhere in a triangle from downtown Dallas to DFW to Plan. So look for housing that would be central (in between) these locations...and that gives you a lot of choices, but based on your budget I would recommend something closer to dowtown or near East Dallas (near Baylor Hospital on a map).
Would you happen to know the zip codes for the areas you mentioned? That would help greatly in the apartment search. I can narrow it down by distance from entered zip code, or input the zip code and find all apartments in that area. Also, are those areas safe? I read someone stating that they wouldn't walk in downtown Dallas at night and that downtown Dallas is very dangerous.

Quote:
Good luck, stay positive and use this board as a resource. The people here helped me when I made the move and it went smoothly and I was on a tight budget, had never beenhere before and had no idea what to expect and had no job lined up either....so just stay positive, you will do fine.
I appreciate the encouragement. I needed it!

Old 04-30-2010, 07:49 PM

Thank you to everyone that responded. You all are so nice! <3 All of you have helped me to see that this move is not going to be impossible and I no longer have a panic attack just thinking about it! :-) ahaha. I really really appreciate all the feedback, questions, and suggestions. If people like you are what makes up the population of Dallas, I look forward to living there. Thank you so much!

Old 04-30-2010, 08:37 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,374,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbcookie View Post
Thank you so much. Having my mail sent to the post office is a great idea. I didn't even think of that. Here are the locations I found for Budget Suites in Dallas. Could you please tell me if any of these are in bad areas or far out in the boonies? :-) Thank you.

Las Colinas/Irving
700 Walnut Ridge
Irving, TX

Loop 12/Dallas
10222 Walton Walker

Empire Central/Dallas
8150 N Stemmons Fwy

North Dallas
9519 Forest Lane

The Colony
5289 S Highway 121
The Colony, TX

Lewisville
2175 S Hwy 121
Lewisville, TX

Lamar/Six Flags
1050 N Hwy 360 & Lamar
Grand Prairie, TX

Grand Prairie
2770 North Hwy 360

Fossil Creek/Ft Worth
3500 N.E. Loop 820

Addison
15130 Marsh Lane
I suggest the Las Colinas location. Decent police visability, plentiful variety of possible employers within easy driving distance. The area is full of retail, restaurants, medical offices, small and major corprate offices, call centers etc.. Many self storage units nearby. You're only a few miles from DFW Airport, which is also a huge employer.

Feel free to PM me.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:59 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,474,475 times
Quote:
HI. I decided to move to Dallas, and I am terrified. ...

Any advice? ... Just cause you don't feel the way I do, doesn't mean I'm stupid or deserve to be cut down. Thanks!
Hey Cookie, when I was young like you I was just like you. I was stuck in a truly dreary place called Springfield, MA and was raised in dump called Albany NY. Given that, I saw life as one big sad story at best.

So like you on a whim, I just said to myself there's got to be someplace in the world that's not so awful. The world just can't be all bad! I refused to believe it!

So one day walking through two feet of snow blowing in my face going to look for a job, I said to hell with it, if I have to look for a job, I'm gonna go do it somewhere where it's not snowing and see what the hell happens. I'll bet on the better angels. What's to lose?

So I took a bus to the Airport and thought Miami FL would be nice and warm so what the hell - I'll look for a job while enjoying a beach vacation.

It turned out to be one of the smartest moves I ever made.

I went down there, bought some new clothes, got a haircut, got a newspaper, made a phone call, and got a job and a place to stay the same day. With no background or baggage, I fell immediately madly in love with the Miamians and they clear felt the same toward me.

From that moment on I became convinced sometimes you just have to get away to someplace new and start over to get out from under whatever dark cloud is hanging over you.

I was a nice honest polite hard working kid and when I knocked on doors in MIA. It was astounding to me how happy so many nice (and even not so nice) people were to see me. As if they were flattered that I would care to seek their company. I could fill pages with stories of all the amazingly nice people I met then - it was a truly great experience - a veritable awakening!

Chelito is surely right. That formula worked for me too. If you're a decent girl with proper manners you can surely find something to get you started in the temps without much delay. People often underestimate what a valuable commodity something as simple as good manners is in business.

Granted managing with a child presents added challenge, but I think you could do as well down here as up there assuming you already manage your little one without much support from the fam. You might even meet some nice neighbors who will help you out.

I wouldn't consider Dallas a place where one needs live in fear of crime. And there's 10 billion retail stores here, so you're bound to find something. Where should you go? I'll leave it to the natives to guide you on that. Off the cuff I would say a working class neighborhood in the core or perhaps completely the opposite - a far out burb like McKinney where new stores are just opening and looking for help.

Most importantly, I just want to say I think your crazy idea might just work as my crazy idea worked for me. If you think the water looks warm and you feel like jumping in, you may just find out that you are right!

Old 05-01-2010, 02:10 AM

1,193 posts, read 3,517,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian08 View Post
Hey Cookie, when I was young like you I was just like you. I was stuck in a truly dreary place called Springfield, MA and was raised in dump called Albany NY. Given that, I saw life as one big sad story at best.

So like you on a whim, I just said to myself there's got to be someplace in the world that's not so awful. The world just can't be all bad! I refused to believe it!

So one day walking through two feet of snow blowing in my face going to look for a job, I said to hell with it, if I have to look for a job, I'm gonna go do it somewhere where it's not snowing and see what the hell happens. I'll bet on the better angels. What's to lose?

So I took a bus to the Airport and thought Miami FL would be nice and warm so what the hell - I'll look for a job while enjoying a beach vacation.

It turned out to be one of the smartest moves I ever made.

I went down there, bought some new clothes, got a haircut, got a newspaper, made a phone call, and got a job and a place to stay the same day. With no background or baggage, I fell immediately madly in love with the Miamians and they clear felt the same toward me.

From that moment on I became convinced sometimes you just have to get away to someplace new and start over to get out from under whatever dark cloud is hanging over you.

I was a nice honest polite hard working kid and when I knocked on doors in MIA. It was astounding to me how happy so many nice (and even not so nice) people were to see me. As if they were flattered that I would care to seek their company. I could fill pages with stories of all the amazingly nice people I met then - it was a truly great experience - a veritable awakening!

Chelito is surely right. That formula worked for me too. If you're a decent girl with proper manners you can surely find something to get you started in the temps without much delay. People often underestimate what a valuable commodity something as simple as good manners is in business.

Granted managing with a child presents added challenge, but I think you could do as well down here as up there assuming you already manage your little one without much support from the fam. You might even meet some nice neighbors who will help you out.

I wouldn't consider Dallas a place where one needs live in fear of crime. And there's 10 billion retail stores here, so you're bound to find something. Where should you go? I'll leave it to the natives to guide you on that. Off the cuff I would say a working class neighborhood in the core or perhaps completely the opposite - a far out burb like McKinney where new stores are just opening and looking for help.

Most importantly, I just want to say I think your crazy idea might just work as my crazy idea worked for me. If you think the water looks warm and you feel like jumping in, you may just find out that you are right!
I hope that your optimism is contagious!!! You remind me of myself when I moved to Manhattan in 1989 with NOTHING besides HOPE and a cheap place to stay for 3 months! It all worked out well and I came back to Dallas 11 years later with much to be proud of. Sometimes it really is all about taking a leap of faith and I commend all who are willing to take the plunge. I'm glad that it has worked out for you in DFW! Granted, it's not the most beautiful place on the planet, nor is the weather the most hospitable, but it is a place that does seem to get a lot of things right. Attitude is a HUGE part of success and it's important that everyone go into all endeavors with the right attitude. My life has taught me to be cynical, yet I am still a cautious optimist at heart. It's great to know that there are others out there who are willing to roll the dice and take a chance. Doing nothing is the bigger risk. I wish the OP nothing but the best!

Old 05-01-2010, 02:27 AM

1,193 posts, read 3,517,430 times
Quote:
I read someone stating that they wouldn't walk in downtown Dallas at night and that downtown Dallas is very dangerous.
While Downtown Dallas is probably not the most ideal place to live with a small child, it's hardly dangerous! You have to take some of the negative commentary with a grain of salt as it is often written by people who don't have a clue about living in the middle of a big city. There are MUCH worse places to be in this city than Downtown Dallas.

Old 05-01-2010, 06:19 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,684,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout_972 View Post
I suggest the Las Colinas location. Decent police visability, plentiful variety of possible employers within easy driving distance. The area is full of retail, restaurants, medical offices, small and major corprate offices, call centers etc.. Many self storage units nearby. You're only a few miles from DFW Airport, which is also a huge employer.

Feel free to PM me.
The only places I would feel good about saying are seemingly safe is the one in Irving on Walnut hill, the one in Lewisville on 121, and one in Addison is in a great location however I haven't seen that one. I just sold a condo near the one in Irving (actually that's not Irving but in North Irving on the LC border) and it is a very good location for many things and close to Dallas & MidCities. The one in Lewisville is in a more upscale location and also near many shops & restaurants.

Old 05-01-2010, 06:47 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,275,575 times
It sounds like your first priority is your son, which is as it should be. You don't sound like the bar-type, which is definitely a plus for you and your child. I believe with your attitude, you will find just what you're looking for in Dallas. Take that leap of faith. May you stay safe and be as happy as can be. I wish you the best and do keep us posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas