Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 07:50 PM

5 posts, read 79,607 times

Advertisements

Am currently considering transferring my child from a private school to either Stonewall (live in this area), Lake Highlands or Whiterock Elementary and am concerned due to rumors of underlying racial tensions (I am "African American") as well as the "renter" syndrome (a renter vs. home owner). Anyone care to share experiences, opinions and/or suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 07:23 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,473,607 times
So you live in the Stonewall attendance zone? Is the plan to move to Lake Highlands or White Rock attendance areas should you decide on one of those schools? Stonewall is in Dallas ISD and the other two are in Richardson ISD. You can't transfer from one district to another. You have to actually live in the district. Richardson ISD does not accept tuition students.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:33 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,903,112 times
yes--that will work better for your info gathering...

Old 03-29-2010, 04:09 PM

5 posts, read 79,607 times
Apologies for confusion. I was aware of the difference in school districts. Need to choose the school, will then move. What is a 'tuition student'?

Old 03-29-2010, 04:20 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,696,595 times
Default North Hills Prep

Why don't you try and apply to North Hills Prep? Charter public school. Random selection. Free to apply. I think next enrollment is for 2011-12 school year. Its part of the Uplift network but North Hills is the highest performing of their schools.
Uplift Education

Old 03-29-2010, 04:26 PM

126 posts, read 443,625 times
We have friends who live in the Stonewall district and they love the school. Their daughter is very bright and continues to do well. They are considering moving her to one of the highly-rated magnet schools within DISD.

Of the Richardson schools in Lake Highlands, other parents consistently say Merriman Park, Moss Haven and White Rock elementaries are the best. However, it seems Stonewall really stands out, so you might want to stay put. Your decision may also be based on plans for middle school and high school so that adds another layer of complexity. Many Stonewall parents opt for private school or a magnet school after elementary.
In Richardson ISD, a lot of parents stay all the way through -- but White Rock and the other elementaries in LH don't feed into their best middle school and high schools. You would want to look at schools like Brentfield, Bowie, Prairie Creek, Mohawk, etc.

Can't really speak on the racial tension issue. We are an AA family as well and I've been researching schools since the moment we moved to Dallas. The one things friends with kids in public school say is that the majority of AA children are "apartment kids" and people don't seem to expect much out of them. So I don't know that the kids are mistreated in any way, I just think people have different feelings about having transient kids in and out of their schools.

Old 03-29-2010, 04:31 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,175,792 times
I don't hear people around here (Stonewall - or anywhere in the Woodrow feeder system) saying "apartment kids". If it helps any, the first and so far only AA mayor of Dallas sent his kids to Stonewall. Olivia Henderson is a stellar principal - I just saw her at the International Baccalaureate meeting for all the Woodrow feeders (currently district plans apply to offer IB PYP and MYP solely in our zone) - I am sure if you went to talk to her she could ease your fears and answer any of your questions.

Old 03-29-2010, 04:33 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,473,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukdeemac View Post
Apologies for confusion. I was aware of the difference in school districts. Need to choose the school, will then move. What is a 'tuition student'?
Sometimes districts will allow students from other districts to transfer in, but they have to pay tuition. Most of the suburban districts don't accept these students. I believe Dallas ISD does since Highland Park ISD kids can transfer into Woodrow in Dallas ISD.

Old 03-29-2010, 04:50 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,696,595 times
Try Peak Prep.........great ratings for all school levels & kids can go to the same school K-12

Peak Preparatory
(Grades K-12)

4600 Bryan Street
Dallas, TX 75204
eChalk

Year opened: 2005-06
Number of students: 893
Ultimate school size: 1,300 students across grades K-12
First graduating class: 2009-10

School leadership team:
Jacqueline Ray, Senior Director
Teresa Khirallah, Primary Director
Teno Sigmon, Secondary Dean of Students

2008-09 TEA ratings:
Primary: Exemplary
Middle: Recognized
High: Exemplary

Old 03-29-2010, 05:19 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,175,792 times
Out of district transfer form:

http://www.dallasisd.org/parents/transferforms/teaoutofdistrict%20form.pdf (broken link)

DISD does not charge tuition anymore - however, you have to be accepted to the individual school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas