Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2010, 08:43 AM

563 posts, read 3,742,986 times

Advertisements

My 9yo son is interested in taking riding lessons and I was thrilled until I started looking around for horse riding lessons. First of all, some of the farms have prices that are prohibitive! Besides that he'll need riding gear (growing like a weed means new boots every six months) and it looks like I may end up driving 30-40 minutes each way!

I'm looking for a very basic beginners class for kids. We are in carrollton and I know that there are many stables in the Lewisville area. Does anyone have any recommendations on a good place for kids lessons?

Also, any recommendations on how/where to get reasonably priced riding gear?

I have no idea if this love of horses is going to last a lifetime or expire after the first few lessons so I'd prefer not to invest a ton off the bat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 10:41 AM

756 posts, read 2,279,127 times
I'm a bit too far removed from the beginner lesson scene to give you an educated recommendation there, but having ridden for 15+ years, I can tell you that it's not cheap - and you're just going to frustrate yourself by trying to make it fit into your budget. Either it does or it doesn't.

Another thing: yeah, you may be able to find a place that will give you cheap lessons, but are the horses safe? Are the instructors knowledgeable? I doubt you want to risk your son's safety, and sometimes, you do get what you pay for.

The only two things he'll need right off the bat will be boots and an ASTM/SEI-approved helmet. Once you find a place to take lessons, ask fellow lesson parents if they have anything they're selling - that's the best way to pick up clothes for kids. It's what my parents would do with my horse show clothes way back when when I was a kid and needed new show clothes every couple of months.

The helmet is something you should certainly buy new though, as you do have to replace them after every fall and you have no way of knowing if the used helmet you're purchasing has been damaged from a fall.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:32 AM

563 posts, read 3,742,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loratliff View Post
I'm a bit too far removed from the beginner lesson scene to give you an educated recommendation there, but having ridden for 15+ years, I can tell you that it's not cheap - and you're just going to frustrate yourself by trying to make it fit into your budget. Either it does or it doesn't.

Another thing: yeah, you may be able to find a place that will give you cheap lessons, but are the horses safe? Are the instructors knowledgeable? I doubt you want to risk your son's safety, and sometimes, you do get what you pay for..
I agree with you completely and the reason I'm asking for recommendations is that there seems to be a wide variety of prices out there. I'm looking for basic riding lessons in a good environment and some of the places seem more geared towards children who want to compete, etc and the prices are way up there.

As to the gear, I'm looking for recommendations on where these items are available at a reasonable price. I'm sure I can walk in to Dicks sporting goods and pick up everything we will need but people may know of a cheaper way to purchase these items - a smaller store or online.

Old 05-02-2010, 02:24 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
I know Terrell is a drive, but there is a good tack consignment store there: Texas Tack Exchange - Welcome (http://texastackexchange.myshopify.com/ - broken link) When I got out of horse ownership, I sold several items there. They also sell online.
Also check Craig's List under "sporting goods" and Ebay under "equestrian equipment."
If your son wants to ride English, rubber boots can be a less-expensive option. Western will still require cowboy boots. Look at Goodwill and thrift stores for used boots. The MOST important thing with boots is FIT. They need to fit really well, and if they are too small or too big, it is not safe. I consider my boots an investment!

A lot of the difference in pice is group lessons vs. private lessons. Obviously, the private ones will be more expensive. Go look at the place before signing up. Are the fences well-maintained? Are the horses clean and in good condition? Are the saddles also clean and in good condition?

I took lessons here YEARS ago: Capricorn Equestrian Center, Sachse Texas They have a wonderful reputation for working with beginners. I like that they teach you how to groom and saddle your own horse, not just how to ride. I see that they do summer camps, which might be a good option for your son.

Happy Trails!

Old 05-02-2010, 04:24 PM

756 posts, read 2,279,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
A lot of the difference in pice is group lessons vs. private lessons. Obviously, the private ones will be more expensive. Go look at the place before signing up. Are the fences well-maintained? Are the horses clean and in good condition? Are the saddles also clean and in good condition?
Yes, of course private lessons will be more expensive, but I've known of several places that don't give group lessons to beginners - it's too much of a risk to have 3 or 4 kids that don't know anything about horses in one ring together. If you're just starting out, private is the way to go.

Bookworm, regardless of whether or not your son wants to compete, the fundamentals are all the same. What is the price range that you're seeing? You should expect to pay anywhere between $50-100 for an hour long private lesson, maybe less if you get lucky.

As far as apparel, if you're looking into English riding, visit Just for Ponies Pony Tack Shop. They have a good selection of kid's riding gear.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:35 PM

46 posts, read 109,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookworm2768 View Post
I agree with you completely and the reason I'm asking for recommendations is that there seems to be a wide variety of prices out there. I'm looking for basic riding lessons in a good environment and some of the places seem more geared towards children who want to compete, etc and the prices are way up there.

As to the gear, I'm looking for recommendations on where these items are available at a reasonable price. I'm sure I can walk in to Dicks sporting goods and pick up everything we will need but people may know of a cheaper way to purchase these items - a smaller store or online.
Actually, I'm pretty sure you can't. I've never seen any sort of riding gear in a Dick's.

I would encourage your child to ride western. All you need is a good pair of boots with a 1" heel and a helmet.

You can get boots from any western wear store. If you're going to order online, go somewhere the carries the exact same product and fit your child to whatever it is. A helmet especially. A good fit is VERY important and most tack shops are more then happy to help and explain how to determine a good fit.

You can get a Troxel Sport (very fun helmet for kids): Troxel Spirit Helmet - Statelinetack.com for about $40.

You're more then likely not going to find QUALITY riding lessons (good horses, good instructors, safe facilities) for less then $30 for a half hour private or a 1 hour group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas