Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 01:16 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,480,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkgreenmover View Post

@pepper131 - Happy (belated) birthday! That spa looks awesome! I've never even heard of it and it's right here in Dallas! Portland, Oregon, right? Always wanted to go to Portland. Any suggestions on where to stay/what to do? What'd you enjoy most during your visit?
!
Apparently there are many Korean spas like this in the US. When I was there, a lady had driven up from Temple. It's quite and experience and you feel like you are in a foreign land.

I stayed with a friend in Portland who lives in the North section near the Mississippi neighborhood. What struck me the most is how everything is independently owned - hardly any chains of any kind. Great areas to shop and eat in tucked into neighborhoods where you can park your car easily (I'm looking at you, lower Greenville and your restrictive parking).
Wonderful small restaurants and coffee shops.
Since my friend was my guide, I can't remember everywhere we went and honestly, I was thankful to not have to plan, research and think too much knowing he'd take care of everything. We ate vegan the entire time since it's his diet - many restaurants cater to vegans.
Just 30 minutes away are wonderful hikes to tall waterfalls and gorges. I'm not usually "nature girl", but I'm trying to do as many new things in 2010 as possible.
We popped into two hotels for drinks - The Nines downtown and The Kennedy School tucked into a neighborhood. The Nines is luxe and Kennedy School is indie, kitsch. But I loved both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 09:28 PM

32 posts, read 57,414 times
I love exotic vacations. We had the most incredible safari in Tanzania which was AMAZING. We went to the Galapagos in Ecudor which was another incredible trip. This year is a cruise in Antarctica.

I love the US but have seen so much. The farther you go (to me) the better...
Tokyo is supposed to be incredible

I have heard spectacular things about Argentina (and its not too far)

And Recently my friends took a cruise throughout the Aegean sea in Greece and Turkey and LOVED IT. I think thatd be a very cool trip to look into.

In the US you gotta love Vegas! or if you want it more personal than there are some great places on the west coast. Also a grand, New York birthday can never be that bad

I wanna hear where u decide!

Old 05-01-2010, 09:43 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,275,575 times
You asked, "Maybe the Ozarks?" I wasn't thinking about them, but I'm sure they would be nice. The Blue Ridge, Appalachians, and Rockies are what came to mind.

Old 05-02-2010, 04:17 PM

146 posts, read 437,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickkraus View Post
I love exotic vacations. We had the most incredible safari in Tanzania which was AMAZING. We went to the Galapagos in Ecudor which was another incredible trip. This year is a cruise in Antarctica.

I love the US but have seen so much. The farther you go (to me) the better...
Tokyo is supposed to be incredible

I have heard spectacular things about Argentina (and its not too far)

And Recently my friends took a cruise throughout the Aegean sea in Greece and Turkey and LOVED IT. I think thatd be a very cool trip to look into.

In the US you gotta love Vegas! or if you want it more personal than there are some great places on the west coast. Also a grand, New York birthday can never be that bad

I wanna hear where u decide!
Sounds like we need to be traveling with you! What awesome locales. Just talked to a girl today who is moving to Tanzania for work. You've given me some out-of-the-box options I hadn't considered. I did think for a split second about Argentina. We're early in the planning, but will report back once we decide. Thanks for the feedback.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:53 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,463,503 times
I would pick an island in the Caribbean and go there. Doesnt really matter which one either. I love them all.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:58 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times
I vote for S. Africa - I've always wanted to go to C-Town and J-Burg...

Maybe you could go through London since you didn't mention that..a good suggestion would be to have champagne and cavair overlooking the Thames at The Savoy The Savoy, Managed by Fairmont Hotels and Resorts - it's reopening soon after a nearly 3 year £100 renovation. Also great celebration places there would be the bar at the Lanesbourough or Claridges (which also has a piano suite you can rent - I can suggest singer/player!). Non-alcholic - tea the The Ritz. A great place to stay is London 5 Star Hotels - Luxury London Hotels Covent Gardens | St Martins Lane you can walk everywhere and don't have to worry about when the taxis and the tube stop running..big soaker tubs for your tired feet, too...

If you really like Italy and have not visited the Amalfi Coast I would suggest http://www.ondaverde.it/ - only slightly isolated but I've always wanted to have a party on its veranda overlooking the ocean..not really that fancy but not pretentious like Positano. Miro can hire a car (usually a Mercedes) to pick you up in Naples and the driver (probably Umberto or his wife or son) can also take you on day trips to all the wonderful places around there - you can even catch the boat out front to Capri. There are also buses available at the front door (which is an elevator - all you can see from the street).

Old 05-03-2010, 03:27 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,267,022 times
I would go to Ireland, but that wasn't one of your choices!

I would also favor a road trip through the Northeast, as you mentioned, but I'd want to do in autumn when the spectacular Fall colors
could be seen.

Old 05-03-2010, 03:49 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times
*caviar -- preferably from a beluga sturgeon caught from he north shore of the Caspian in the month of June.

Old 05-03-2010, 04:00 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,683,373 times
Go to Africa for the Wildebeest migration. It is a marvel you will remember for the rest of your life and occurs about the time of your birthday. Google it. You will be amazed.

Old 05-03-2010, 04:18 PM

146 posts, read 437,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
I vote for S. Africa - I've always wanted to go to C-Town and J-Burg...

Maybe you could go through London since you didn't mention that..a good suggestion would be to have champagne and cavair overlooking the Thames at The Savoy The Savoy, Managed by Fairmont Hotels and Resorts - it's reopening soon after a nearly 3 year £100 renovation. Also great celebration places there would be the bar at the Lanesbourough or Claridges (which also has a piano suite you can rent - I can suggest singer/player!). Non-alcholic - tea the The Ritz. A great place to stay is London 5 Star Hotels - Luxury London Hotels Covent Gardens | St Martins Lane you can walk everywhere and don't have to worry about when the taxis and the tube stop running..big soaker tubs for your tired feet, too...

If you really like Italy and have not visited the Amalfi Coast I would suggest Hotels in Amalfi Coast Italy - Hotel Onda Verde between Amalfi and Positano - only slightly isolated but I've always wanted to have a party on its veranda overlooking the ocean..not really that fancy but not pretentious like Positano. Miro can hire a car (usually a Mercedes) to pick you up in Naples and the driver (probably Umberto or his wife or son) can also take you on day trips to all the wonderful places around there - you can even catch the boat out front to Capri. There are also buses available at the front door (which is an elevator - all you can see from the street).
Dave, so there. Caribbean = magical.

Lakewooder - As I read your descriptions, I could just see us there. I didn't mention London because we kind of wanna go in July for Wimbledon season. We may just go though and save W for another trip. Now, the AC would be loverly. This hotel is beautiful. Does one fly into Rome as a the best jumping off point to get to Amalfi?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas