Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2010, 04:13 AM

5 posts, read 9,083 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We are an Asian couple with a 1 year old daughter, planning on moving to the metropolis by July. My workplace is in Plano, and my wife would be looking out for a programming job few months down the line. We are looking at renting a fully furnished apartment within a large community with a monthly rent in thousand-dollar range. I would be travelling quite a bit so need to be within 20 mi of DFW. Other desirable criteria are:

1. Close to shopping areas and water bodies
2. Racism-free and safe
3. Cosmopolitan and liberal communities
4. Sport facilities like tennis and squash

Look forward to your experience and advise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 04:57 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
If you're working in Plano, then live in Plano. There are also lots more programming jobs in that part of the metroplex.

Old 05-06-2010, 06:18 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,462,012 times
Live in Ft. Worth and work in Plano?? Oh my. That is one long commute!

Old 05-06-2010, 06:57 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianCouple View Post
Hi,

We are an Asian couple with a 1 year old daughter, planning on moving to the metropolis by July. My workplace is in Plano, and my wife would be looking out for a programming job few months down the line. We are looking at renting a fully furnished apartment within a large community with a monthly rent in thousand-dollar range. I would be travelling quite a bit so need to be within 20 mi of DFW. Other desirable criteria are:

2. Racism-free and safe

Plano is home to the largest Asian community in the Metroplex. As a city, only Houston has more Asians in the Southern states. I wouldnt worry about racism there. Plano isnt far from Lake Lewisville, Lake Ray Hubbard, or DFW Airport, so that should work out for you. Plano has alot of shopping (Willow Bend Mall is the big one, but the Dallas Galleria isnt far either and the botique shops in downtown Plano are nice). Plano also has 3 stops along the DART rail which helps give rail access to different parts of Dallas.

However, on your list, the one need that wont really be met is liberal. Overall, Plano is a more conservative family oriented place. It is not as liberal as it used to be due to the high amounts of immigrants from other states and Asia, but it still isnt as liberal as a Dallas, Houston, or Austin.

If you were just choosing between Plano and Fort Worth, I would live in Fort Worth. However since you are working in Plano, I would live in Plano. All you needs will be met except the liberal one, so you should be fine.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:31 AM

2,346 posts, read 6,925,871 times
Lifetime Fitness on Preston/Legacy in Plano has 4 international squash courts.

Old 05-06-2010, 12:41 PM

6,818 posts, read 14,029,650 times
LaNaive 10 advice is spot on. If you work in Plano and your wife is looking for a programming job there is no reason for you to not set roots down in Plano. They have a large Asian community and great schools. Ft Worth would be one heck of a daily commute.

Old 02-29-2016, 07:07 AM

27 posts, read 30,674 times
Why would you even consider Fortworth if your work is in Plano? Plano has everything you need. If you want ultra liberal environment than don't look at Fortworth, try Austin. However, there is no shortage of liberals in Plano. Do you have family there in Fortworth or something like that? Don't do it unless you want a hellish commute.

Old 02-29-2016, 11:36 AM

641 posts, read 801,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianCouple View Post
Hi,

2. Racism-free and safe

I'm very familiar with Fort Worth. Trust me, you don't want to live here if you work in Plano. It's a very long commute. Yes there is shopping here. The most cosmo and liberal communities will be around mongolia and 7th street. I wouldn't call ft worth racisim free (no place is) but racism is not a problem in those areas. The bodies of water will be in more conservative parts of town.

I agree with those who say you have everything you need on the Dallas side. You will enjoy visiting ft worth and you should. I just wouldn't work in plano and live in fort worth bc I want a liberal community. I'm sure the dallas side has way more liberal communities

Old 03-02-2016, 09:10 AM

212 posts, read 459,545 times
Why on earth are you bumping a nearly 6 year old thread?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas