U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 06:08 PM

66 posts, read 189,271 times

Advertisements

SOOO . . . I've researched some areas for my move in June and need to know which one of these areas would be best for me:

Grand Prairie,
Garland,
Irving, or
Addison

What I'm looking for:
Racially Diverse
Good public schools

Amount of choices in entertainment or proximity to it: movies, festivals, theaters, restaurants, shopping, clubs, parks, outdoor recreation, etc.
Affordable cost of living: 2 BR or 1 BR w/ Den or Study $850/month MAX
Clean and aesthetically pleasing: In other words, I don't want to live in an area where the majority of it look run-down or dirty, and everything looks ugly and brown - old brown buildings, ragged brown grass . .. it's depressing.
Safe: Crime happens everywhere. Everywhere. But that doesn't mean I would move to Compton.
Family Friendliest

I'm a young single mother of 1 under 5 yrs. I will be working in Dallas, but information on the job market in the above cities would be helpful. (clerical temp work or waitressing) If there's enough opportunity, I wouldn't mind working closer to home.

All advice, info, sharing of personal experiences, facts, or opinions would be greatly appreciated. Good or bad. And be honest!!

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2010, 06:57 PM

10,418 posts, read 22,166,700 times
Cross off Addison. Public schools are OK but not great, and rents there are pricey. I'd look at Carrollton instead. It is still close to Addison for the festivals, etc but rents are much cheaper and schools are better.

Old 05-08-2010, 07:10 PM

93 posts, read 333,367 times
I was born and raised in Garland, so I have to cast my vote there. It meets all of your criteria. Stay on the Northern side, and you can establish a nice life for you and your family.

Old 05-08-2010, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by follie View Post
I was born and raised in Garland, so I have to cast my vote there. It meets all of your criteria. Stay on the Northern side, and you can establish a nice life for you and your family.
Hey, what is Garland like? I mean, what are the people like, what kind of flair does Garland have?

Old 05-08-2010, 08:57 PM

93 posts, read 333,367 times
There's a lot of racial diversity in Garland. I loved it. The schools are great. There are community events all throughout the year (parades, etc).

When I was growing up, it was very family oriented. It's got a different feel than somewhere like Addison, which has a more "urban" vibe to it (even though it's a suburb). I have to be honest, I don't have a lot of experience living there as an adult, just growing up. There were a lot of kids, and it was safe. We'd ride our bikes all over the place. As teens we would drive to Plano, Addison, or Richardson for the "fun" stuff like malls and restaurants (granted, that was way before 190 got developed!).

It depends on what you are looking for. If you are looking for a place with more clubs, etc, than Addison is a good pick. But Garland is more of a family-school-pool-baseball-football suburb.

Old 05-09-2010, 01:05 AM

13,214 posts, read 7,747,466 times
You say you will be working in Dallas? I assume you have a job lined up? I would not come if you don't. Out of those you picked you would probably like Garland.

Old 05-09-2010, 08:08 AM

2,259 posts, read 9,065,254 times
I think you should add Richardson to that list and the north Dallas area that has Richardson as the school district.

Old 05-09-2010, 10:00 AM

1,621 posts, read 4,147,083 times
What is your definition of racially diverse? Depending on that, it will make a big difference. There are several majority-minority schools in DFW, many of which are largely Hispanic, and many of these face unique challenges because of this.

Then you have suburban schools with varying degrees of racial diversity, and various ethnic compositions within that diversity. You have anything from schools like Plano West, which is probably 10-15% non-white (the non-whites are largely Asian), to schools like JJ Pearce in Richardson which have a huge mix of white, Latino, black, and Asian students.

Old 05-09-2010, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
What is your definition of racially diverse? Depending on that, it will make a big difference.
By this I mean where whites are not the majority. I want my child to blend in and not feel as if something is wrong with him for being nonwhite. We live in an area that claims to be diverse, but the majority of the town is white. At four years old, my son has learned to discriminate against brown people (If he makes up a story and I ask if the person did it was brown or white, he'll say brown), question if I am his mother because we are not the same color (he asked me that one day because he said that I am not brown like he is), and he wants to be white (he asks if he can be white when playing video games where you have to create your character). He's only 4. Imagine my shock, so I have to get out of here. When I move, I don't want to move into the same problem. What good will that do? So by diverse, an area with about an equal mix of different races. You know 20% white, 17% black, 24% asian, you get the point.

Old 05-09-2010, 02:48 PM

6,585 posts, read 23,579,360 times
I think you are going to have to look at specific schools to get the demographics you want.

For instance Richardson ISD is a majority minority school distict (although the city of Richardson is majority white due to its elderly population). The majority of Richardson ISD is in the city of Dallas anyway. Some schools in RISD may be majority white, hispanic or black and some may have no group at 50%. (I think the only schools that are majority Asian are in Plano ISD.)

So if you go to this page: Richardson ISD - Schools - Elementary you can click on "click here for more about this school" and it will tell you the demographic breakdown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas