Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 09:29 PM

613 posts, read 1,054,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
The Village is a series of apartments. It is very important that you stay south of Northwest Hwy. The neighborhoods south of Northwest Hwy are very nice while those north of Northwest are really bad. In this case one block can be a huge deal.
What can I expect as far as the people in the villiage? Will it be easy to meet people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 09:48 PM

686 posts, read 2,436,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1282 View Post
What can I expect as far as the people in the villiage? Will it be easy to meet people.
Yes, it can be easy to meet people. The communities usually have dinner or some other activity a couple times a month you can go to. Also, there are usually pool parties/bands at the Country Club pool on weekends during Summer, which quite a few people attend. There are also sports teams you can join for flag football, tennis, softball, frisbee, etc. if you are into that.

Old 05-15-2010, 04:19 PM

11 posts, read 25,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
The VA is located in a not so good part of town, so it's good you are not looking in that immediate area.

Mesquite is an older mostly blue collar suburb with affordable housing.

The Village is an established apartment complex community that has been long known for being a place for singles.

Singles with more money to spend live in Uptown.

North Oak Cliff is a nice area, mostly Hispanic, pretty, has character.

DeSoto and Lancaster are mostly African-American areas, affordable.

When you start looking at buying a house on 45k you might look at Lancaster, Crandall because your money will go further, and maybe Mesquite or Forney.

The above summary is pretty much right on. Considering your young age, I would think you would be very happy at Uptown

Old 05-15-2010, 04:23 PM

11 posts, read 25,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1282 View Post

Wild, Wild, Wild. That is all I can say. The Village was the happening place 20 years ago too, when I was just getting out of high school and then college. I have younger friends now, who go there from time to time but mostly for the parties, they don't live there. They live in Uptown, Plano, far North Dallas, Addison. You might like Addison if you haven't checked it out. There are tons of restaurants, bars, festivals etc in Addison.

Old 05-15-2010, 08:47 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
frankly 45K is not going to go very far...

Old 05-15-2010, 09:44 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,872,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
frankly 45K is not going to go very far...
Agreed. The OP will need to pay no more than $800 rent, which will be 1/3 of their monthly take-home pay. In DFW, that won't go very far. Add a lengthy commute with high fuel prices, and the budget becomes even tighter.

Old 05-16-2010, 09:09 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
plus utilities for housing costs

money spent on recreation is always supposed to be over and above "living expenses"
if you start running a tab for those like many people do when they actually are at a bar--
you are going to get into debt quickly...

your best bet is to find a roommate to split part of living your apt costs and frankly I don't think you can afford to buy a home on that salary...

Old 05-16-2010, 03:50 PM

14 posts, read 37,356 times
I think it'd be hard to get by in uptown on 45k, unless you had a roomate, I'd recommend the village at that salary. There are newer and older communities in the village, you'd probably want to look at the older ones. They are very well kept for their age. I lived in the Corner's East for 3 years with no issues (1 bedroom apt, $650/month for rent). Haven't seen a lot of crime, just your normal car break in once in a while, but that'll happen anywhere. Don't leave expensive stuff out in your car!

Lot's of things going on at the country club, people are always outside in the summer walking dogs, running or out at the pool. Country club has parties, movie nights, fitness classes, etc. Easy to meet people!

Old 05-17-2010, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
plus utilities for housing costs

money spent on recreation is always supposed to be over and above "living expenses"
if you start running a tab for those like many people do when they actually are at a bar--
you are going to get into debt quickly...

your best bet is to find a roommate to split part of living your apt costs and frankly I don't think you can afford to buy a home on that salary...
I found a place in the villiage for 490 a month. I just got back from Iraq and saved all my money I got 50k. I figure throw thrity down on a house and my mortgage shouldnt be that high. The houses I'm looking at are around 150k and I can probably get one for 140k. 45K is just my base pay not including overtime or night diff. I'll probably make between 60k and 70k but I'm trying to see what I can do with 45k so the rest will be extra. I'm 28 not 21 I don't spend all my money in bars and stupid stuff. I just wanted to live in a area where I can make friends easy. Thanx for the help though any other suggestions?

Old 05-17-2010, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlekeri View Post
I think it'd be hard to get by in uptown on 45k, unless you had a roomate, I'd recommend the village at that salary. There are newer and older communities in the village, you'd probably want to look at the older ones. They are very well kept for their age. I lived in the Corner's East for 3 years with no issues (1 bedroom apt, $650/month for rent). Haven't seen a lot of crime, just your normal car break in once in a while, but that'll happen anywhere. Don't leave expensive stuff out in your car!

Lot's of things going on at the country club, people are always outside in the summer walking dogs, running or out at the pool. Country club has parties, movie nights, fitness classes, etc. Easy to meet people!
Ya thats the place where im moving got 1bd room for 490.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas