Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 12:55 AM

37 posts, read 91,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guingirl View Post
Actually...its all about assimilation. Not everyone moves here for "cheap housing". I think what they find is if that is their only motivation, the do end up leaving because it is so different from where they came.

I am a new Texan and embrace all that Texas has to offer. Don't come here trying to make it something that you left because you got tired of it As far as I see it, Texas has always been a state about making a second "go of it". Its not for the weak of heart for sure...geesh, just driving around here will get ya a start!
Don't be offended, but Texas really isn't about making a "second go of it", you either ARE or you AREN'T! By that I mean, you either have an oil well or you don't. (meaning rich or lower middle class- or just plain o'l middle class-that would be the suburbs of Dallas). And just to clarify things, you can't be a "new" Texan, an "old" Texan or a "maybe" Texan. If you were born here you are a Texan if you weren't then you're NOT! Period. Just like I could never be a "New Yorker", just cuz I decided to move there for a change of scenery. No offense, that's just the way it is. And, boy are you right, trying to drive in this state is a nightmare. You hit the nail on the head.

Old 10-18-2007, 08:24 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,214,988 times
Which means George W. Bush is not a Texan!

Old 10-18-2007, 08:55 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,942,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Which means George W. Bush is not a Texan!
AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-18-2007, 08:56 AM

1,298 posts, read 4,292,043 times
Bush was born in Connecticut as I think most of us know but the family moved here when he was a toddler. He was raised here so he thinks of himself as Texan.

And Guingirl may not have been born here but she sounds like a Texan at heart so by God, she is a Texan!

Old 10-18-2007, 09:28 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,942,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskies49 View Post
And Guingirl may not have been born here but she sounds like a Texan at heart so by God, she is a Texan!
And as a true Native Texan she sounds to be a HECK of a lot better personality wise than some natives. I'll take that ANYDAY over a native from anywhere that has a sourpuss attitude and walks around w/ a chip on their shoulder!

Old 10-20-2007, 10:31 PM

37 posts, read 91,154 times
Quote:
Bush was born in Connecticut as I think most of us know but the family moved here when he was a toddler. He was raised here so he thinks of himself as Texan.

There ya have it! Point made, many times over!

Old 10-20-2007, 11:40 PM

28 posts, read 110,080 times
I came from CA. One simple suggestion that works for me. Buy a big luxuary house that you can afford here even if you don't need a house that big, you will enjoy your home so much that you will miss CA less and be less bothered with the heat.

Old 10-22-2007, 02:57 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,159,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lategreattex View Post
Don't be offended, but Texas really isn't about making a "second go of it", you either ARE or you AREN'T! By that I mean, you either have an oil well or you don't. (meaning rich or lower middle class- or just plain o'l middle class-that would be the suburbs of Dallas). And just to clarify things, you can't be a "new" Texan, an "old" Texan or a "maybe" Texan. If you were born here you are a Texan if you weren't then you're NOT! Period. Just like I could never be a "New Yorker", just cuz I decided to move there for a change of scenery. No offense, that's just the way it is. And, boy are you right, trying to drive in this state is a nightmare. You hit the nail on the head.
Right on...I feel the same way.

Old 10-23-2007, 05:49 AM

3,127 posts, read 7,640,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lategreattex View Post
Jesus Christ!!!!!Somebody make it stop. Enough outsiders here! Enough Transplants here! I know you get all giddy about reasonable housing, but this is Texas and we have a way of life here that we would like to somehow salvage and restore. This can not happen with so damn many Transplants coming here. There are actually people who welcome the 150,000 Katrina victims and the millions of illegal aliens here more than they do Californians and Midwesterners. (possibly because at least they know there is a chance that they may have to leave someday). But come on already, over population is never a positive thing. Those affordable houses that ya'll are so drawn to will be the slums in 10 yrs or less.
Dude I actually agree with you. And if we continue to have our population explosion at the rate its going (I've read we'll be at between 9-10 million by 2025), there won't be any affordable housing ANYWHERE!!!! Its already getting overpriced in many neighborhoods, and at the same time losing their character.....for example, my neighborhood....UPTOWN/OAKLAWN!

Old 10-23-2007, 07:14 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,159,705 times
Quote:
He could think of himself as Superman and it would be equally untrue. Born in Connecticut != Texan. Simple as.

(For non-geeks out there, != means "not equal to")
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas