Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 01:35 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,812,279 times

Advertisements

I wait until I get my nastygram from the city to know when it is time to trim the strange folliage in the alley-side of my back fence. It comes about once year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 01:57 PM

15,523 posts, read 10,487,502 times
Our neighborhood is pretty cool and everybody keeps their surroundings in check, lol. Just one time, I got a knock on the door and handed a warning notice (the code guy was actually pretty nice). My red tipped photinias were hanging over the concrete in the alley and the garbage truck lost it's side mirror. I had been out of town and didn't notice, oops. Easy fix.

Old 09-12-2011, 02:24 PM

2,348 posts, read 4,816,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Our neighborhood is pretty cool and everybody keeps their surroundings in check, lol. Just one time, I got a knock on the door and handed a warning notice (the code guy was actually pretty nice). My red tipped photinias were hanging over the concrete in the alley and the garbage truck lost it's side mirror. I had been out of town and didn't notice, oops. Easy fix.
And there is a classic argument for Code Enforcement right there. Boooyah! Saves a vehicle from getting damaged, which could result in an insurance claim when you think about it. But moreover, completely removes the potential for conflict among neighbors by leaving it up to Code Enforcement. All with the benefit of keeping the place neat an tidy so everyone can enjoy it without any questions.

I like, I like it alot. You just can't expect people when living in very tight proximity to one another like in DFW, to have the time to or voluntarily do the right thing. Code Enforcement makes certain behaviors that could cause blight (not saying this is) don't get carried away.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:03 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,263,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skids929 View Post
And there is a classic argument for Code Enforcement right there. Boooyah! Saves a vehicle from getting damaged, which could result in an insurance claim when you think about it. But moreover, completely removes the potential for conflict among neighbors by leaving it up to Code Enforcement. All with the benefit of keeping the place neat an tidy so everyone can enjoy it without any questions.

I like, I like it alot. You just can't expect people when living in very tight proximity to one another like in DFW, to have the time to or voluntarily do the right thing. Code Enforcement makes certain behaviors that could cause blight (not saying this is) don't get carried away.
I'll give you that but writing someone a ticket for more than 5 flower pots. We only have two planters out side year round At our West Texas home except through October, November, and December. The wife likes to decorate the front entrance way with seasonal flowers...and she doesn't stop with just 5 either lol thankfully the HOA doesn't have an issue with it.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:19 PM

2,348 posts, read 4,816,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
I'll give you that but writing someone a ticket for more than 5 flower pots. We only have two planters out side year round At our West Texas home except through October, November, and December. The wife likes to decorate the front entrance way with seasonal flowers...and she doesn't stop with just 5 either lol thankfully the HOA doesn't have an issue with it.
If the rule were there before the homeowner moved in and then they decided to disagree with it after the fact I have a problem with that logic, most of the time this is the case. The adage, ignorance to the law is no excuse applies. For me personally, I don't have a problem with planters in someones entryway, if they like a cluttered look so be it, as long as it doesn't effect me I generally don't care..With that said, CE really sets out to address that mentality from getting carried away to the point it's 50 planters, or a car etc. Its not just about the planters, that seems to get lost on people, it's about a mentality getting away from a personto the point it effects someone else. That I agree with completely, people sometimes need rules to keep them in check-whether we agree with how it's delivered to you or not.

I live in an area where all of this falls under the jurisdiction of a Government official who has other primary responsibilities. I would LOVE to be able to call a Code Enforcement official and tell him the guy across my neighborhood who owns a pool install company has had backhoe on his side/front yard for 2 years. Or the guy next to me owns a small construction co and parks a trailer filled with construction debris outside his house in plain (very close) view of my house for months at a time. But I don't, and I hate both of those douche bags for ruining the curbside appeal of my lovely neighborhood, and interfering with my right to enjoy my RESIDENCE with Commercial vehicles and trash. I see things like this and I have little faith in humanity when people choose not to understand these concepts. Its common decency..

Last edited by skids929; 09-12-2011 at 03:29 PM..

Old 09-14-2011, 11:57 PM

931 posts, read 2,133,947 times
Every day I thank God that I am not under the thumb of an HOA. We do have a HOA Group but its voluntary.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:42 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,263,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete53FR View Post
Every day I thank God that I am not under the thumb of an HOA. We do have a HOA Group but its voluntary.
Me too. We call ours a 'neighborhood association' rather than an HOA, too. Dues are $15 yearly and include having your address painted on your curb.

As for landscaping and other amenities in the community...our city taxes pay for that, as it should be.

Old 09-15-2011, 01:11 PM

373 posts, read 635,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skids929 View Post
If the rule were there before the homeowner moved in and then they decided to disagree with it after the fact I have a problem with that logic, most of the time this is the case. The adage, ignorance to the law is no excuse applies. For me personally, I don't have a problem with planters in someones entryway, if they like a cluttered look so be it, as long as it doesn't effect me I generally don't care..With that said, CE really sets out to address that mentality from getting carried away to the point it's 50 planters, or a car etc. Its not just about the planters, that seems to get lost on people, it's about a mentality getting away from a personto the point it effects someone else. That I agree with completely, people sometimes need rules to keep them in check-whether we agree with how it's delivered to you or not.

I live in an area where all of this falls under the jurisdiction of a Government official who has other primary responsibilities. I would LOVE to be able to call a Code Enforcement official and tell him the guy across my neighborhood who owns a pool install company has had backhoe on his side/front yard for 2 years. Or the guy next to me owns a small construction co and parks a trailer filled with construction debris ouside his house in plain (very close) view of my house for months at a time. But I don't, and I hate both of those douche bags for ruining the curbside appeal of my lovely neighborhood, and interfering with my right to enjoy my RESIDENCE with Commercial vehicles and trash. I see things like this and I have little faith in humanity when people choose not to understand these concepts. Its common decency..
Click here: Heart of Darkness - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This sounds like conditions right out of the heart of darkness....

The unfathomable darkness within every human being for committing heinous acts of evil.[2] could apply to situations like this.

The story centres on Charles Marlow, who narrates most of the book. He is an Englishman who takes a foreign assignment from a Belgian trading company as a river-boat captain in Africa. Heart of Darkness exposes the dark side of Belgian colonization while exploring the three levels of darkness that the protagonist, Marlow, encounters: the darkness of the Congo wilderness, the darkness of the Belgians' cruel treatment of the natives, and the unfathomable darkness within every human being for committing heinous acts of evil.[2] Although Conrad does not give the name of the river, at the time of writing the Congo Free State, the location of the large and important Congo River, was a private colony of Belgium's King Leopold II. In the story, Marlow is employed to transport ivory downriver. However, his more pressing assignment is to return Kurtz, another ivory trader, to civilization, in a cover-up. Kurtz has a reputation throughout the region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas