Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2010, 11:34 AM

1 posts, read 1,429 times

Advertisements

Any information is greatly appreciated! Due to the slow economy I am having the hardest time starting my career path in Kansas City, MO. I have been told by many that Texas is the route to go. Due to no family or social groups in the area I need you: ) Who's hiring and what areas are affordable to live in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 01:14 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
Well, what are you qualified to do? Did you intern or have work experience in a specific facet of marketing?

The marketing jobs in Dallas (esp public relations, events, and advertising), were hit particularly hard in last year's downturn. Lots of layoffs. I'm not so sure that hiring has picked up yet in those areas.

Old 05-21-2010, 06:34 PM

236 posts, read 1,203,033 times
I graduated in 2009 and got a great job through persistence. I worked a BS job for 4 months out of college and it lead to this great opportunity I'm at now. (I tried networking through forums as well.... it doesn't go anywhere sorry buddy)

You're just gonna have to swallow your pride and work somewhere doing something you know you're overqualified for and gain some experience.

(don't you think if people knew who were hiring, they'd be helping out their friends and family who have all been affected by the economy?)

Also, I'm ignoring the 2nd part of your question on purpose because you shouldn't be relocating anywhere if there's no job in line

Old 05-22-2010, 08:30 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
for an entry level job--it is very unlikely that any local company will want to hire you vs someone who IS local ...
the word on the boards is that IF you want a job here you have to relocate here to do the job shopping

create a profile on LinkedIN--try to network some real people in real/similar jobs in this area

get involved with your college alumni assoc and see if there are former grads in this area in your field--I am sure your college has mined its alumni for contributions and probably has bid database of info...

get involved with your professional organization--every business/professional category usually has more than one--see what local branches are in this area
you should have done an internship or gotten summer job in your field before you graduated--something to put on your resume to show intent/job skills...

Dallas is NOT a great job market in the sense that people are waiting with open arms to hire anyone who wants a job--
there are plenty of jobs listed that are just replicants of 1 job--and lots of those are just faux ads for companies that are trolling for what-ifs...they don't mean anything...and aren't likely to lead to an interview...

from what I am reading on these boards similar posts are from new grads who have waited until graduation to start looking for a job even though the economy has been in a tailspin for 3 yrs...
it reads like most did not have a gameplan when were working toward a degree...and took little initiative beyond just getting a diploma...
what company would want to hire someone who lets inertia rule his/her efforts---there is no value-added energy coming from that...

if that sound rude--I am sorry--but we are not headhunters here
there is a forum/board about EMPLOYMENT in different area of the board...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: