Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 03:41 PM

3 posts, read 10,129 times

Advertisements

Hey, I am going to move to Dallas in a few days.

I am wondering if anyone can recommend some cheap furniture stores. I am here for a job for 1 year, so I don't need good quality furnitures. I want to keep everything within my budget.

I don't own a car, so I am looking for a store will delivery and assemble for you. I don't mind paying a fee for that. Of course, free service will be the best.

Any recommendations are welcomed and greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 08:57 PM

95 posts, read 279,177 times
There's a store called The Dump that has lots of name brand stuff, but at reduced prices. Open Fri-Sun I think. It's in Irving.

Old 05-21-2010, 09:43 PM

424 posts, read 1,816,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL70 View Post
There's a store called The Dump that has lots of name brand stuff, but at reduced prices. Open Fri-Sun I think. It's in Irving.
Oh, oh! Word of warning...do your research before shopping there. I lost 1100.00 on a mattress set they would not guarentee and unfortunately, my story is not the only one. They have an "F" rating on the BBB sites. There are many stories of people getting ripped off from this place (unfortunately we were actually return customers when everything fell apart...literally). Customer service is very bad, management is worse and they do not stand behind anything they sell. Most of the complaints on the sites are crappy furniture that seems to fall apart within weeks of purchase and they won't return.

I am NOT saying to avoid that place...but PLEASE do your research before you shop! I actually went there the first time and had good luck with the product itself (except they delivered my stuff to the wrong home).

There are tons of respectable furniture places in DFW to shop. Go around the Grapevine Mills area and drive around. You will find a ton of furniture stores (Ashley, Rooms to go, etc.). Lots of things around...google it and good luck. My personal favorite for business practices, style and quality was Ashley's.

Last edited by catluvr; 05-21-2010 at 09:45 PM.. Reason: make a correction

Old 05-22-2010, 07:53 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,478,415 times
Target.com ships. I bought a futon mattress from there and it was free shipping plus a discount because I spent over a certain amount of money.
Only problem is, you don't know when it will come exactly.

Ikea also delivers - they have a delivery schedule at the delivery desk with prices depending on where you live. I believe they also have an additional service where you hire someone to assemble.

Old 05-22-2010, 08:32 AM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper131 View Post
Target.com ships. I bought a futon mattress from there and it was free shipping plus a discount because I spent over a certain amount of money.
Only problem is, you don't know when it will come exactly.

Ikea also delivers - they have a delivery schedule at the delivery desk with prices depending on where you live. I believe they also have an additional service where you hire someone to assemble.
If I had to choose between Target.com and Ikea, I'd pick Target. Ikea's "Designed in Sweden, Made in China" crap isn't much better quality than Target. Both are substandard and flimsy, you'll just pay more for the Ikea experience.

Old 05-22-2010, 08:41 AM

333 posts, read 1,021,512 times
Target clearance! you have to kind of "stalk" items, but I've found things like chairs and otomons for as low as $30. That being said, if you're only here a year, I would just buy a good quality air mattress (the kind that sits up high off the floor) and cover it with sheets, etc. instead of spending on a bed frame, mattress, etc. A year is going to be here and gone before you know it and unless you are planning on having company over all the time, how much furniture will you really need?

Old 05-22-2010, 08:50 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,478,415 times
My husband spent a year in Houston and bought some furniture from Ikea in the clearance section (and they delivered it w/in a window timeframe). When he moved, he sold just about all of it on craigslist. It worked well for his needs at the time.

But the my Target.com purchase - although I'm very pleased with it; they did not provide a window of delivery, just dropped off the futon on my front porch (which was fine for me). If you have an apartment, this may not work for you.

Old 05-22-2010, 09:01 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
IF you are only going to be here for a year and don't want to really invest in furniture
consider going to place that just rents furniture--they will deliver and set up--
it might seem costly to do it that way but what do you plan on doing with the furniture if you buy it?

if you buy cheap-as-you-can-get-furniture you are not going to get anything for it probably if you try to sell on Craig's List and that is a hassle anyway--
or you can donate it to GoodWill--at least what they will take...and get tax deduction

IKEA is probably good choice--
would not recommend The Dump--mishmash of availability and I don't think it is "cheap/low cost/bargain" as it advertises itself to be...
JC Penny often has some good sales on furniture online that will be delivered and set up==but there might be extra charge associated with that
Walmart and Target both have on-line furniture that is usually larger than what the stores carry
I bought two carts like this for my son's bedroom--he has black/contemporary furniture and needed bedside tables
rolling cart : Target Search Results
but they are out of stock online--are in some of my local stores--I think I got two for like $20 each...and they are the right height for his bedside
any furniture store will set up what they deliver but there is usually an extra charge...
check Overstock.com as well but you would probably have to assemble what needed doing with knock-down stuff...
Stratton 5-piece Dining Set | Overstock.com
Studio Five-piece Cherry Dining Set | Overstock.com
cheap but maybe functional enough for you--

there are discount funiture stores in the area--and I don't mean Ashley or Rooms to Go but places that are really cheap--problem is that the style is usually pretty tacky as well--

you can also shop consignment stores--there are some nice pieces of furniture in there because Dallas has some wealthy people who change furniture and also lots of people have had to leave homes and move into smaller places so they are trying to sell their extra funiture
but it varies from store to store and they will deliver/set up for additional charge

most of them don't have their inventory on their web sites but you can email and ask about specific types of furniture and prices...
I did that when looking for furniture for a game room upstairs...couple of places sent email photos of their stock...
just remember that you usually get a bed frame when you buy a mattress--you don't really need a headboard (use posters or other art work--maybe even unusual piece of fabric)
or matching storage pieces--because bedroom sets are really pretty expensive...
if you use wall-mounted side lamps you can get away with much smaller bedside tables--
maybe even something like this which gives some additional storage--
Five-tier Antique Black Ladder Shelf | Overstock.com
or this
Wall-mount 5-tier Shelving | Overstock.com

Old 07-03-2010, 03:44 AM

1 posts, read 4,011 times
Wooden garden furniture can suffer through exposure to the elements and therefore needs to be periodically treated.
Furniture Utah

Old 07-03-2010, 03:19 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,210,493 times
I used the RoomStore for a good deal on a couch. And it was a no pressure shopping environment.

635 @ Marsh Lane
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: