Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 04:27 PM

41 posts, read 117,870 times

Advertisements

Quick story about me: I am single male, 40 years old. Lived my whole life in Chicago, until 5 years ago, when I decided I wanted to live somewhere else at least once before I died. Whittled my choices down to Texas or Florida. Ended up choosing Florida. I moved. I enjoy living here, but due to the job I found (I am an accountant) I live in a smallish city, with not alot to do. After 5 years, being bored, I am getting the moving jones again, and think maybe I should move to Dallas. Here are the questions I need advice on:

-How is the weather year round: I hate cold weather..how long does the winter last in Dallas: is it short enough to be dealt with?
-Sorry to be naive, but a have a liberal political bent (not crazy liberal); is Dallas popular and public culture predominately conservative?
-Is there such a thing as a suburban commute under 45 minutes?
-Is there such a things as a new 3-2-2 with pool under $200,000..in a middle class neighborhood?
-Any other things I should consider about Dallas?
-I thought about San Antonio and Austin also...any feedback on those cities?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 05:28 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,475,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUGoofy38 View Post
Quick story about me: I am single male, 40 years old. Lived my whole life in Chicago, until 5 years ago, when I decided I wanted to live somewhere else at least once before I died. Whittled my choices down to Texas or Florida. Ended up choosing Florida. I moved. I enjoy living here, but due to the job I found (I am an accountant) I live in a smallish city, with not alot to do. After 5 years, being bored, I am getting the moving jones again, and think maybe I should move to Dallas. Here are the questions I need advice on:

1. -How is the weather year round: I hate cold weather..how long does the winter last in Dallas: is it short enough to be dealt with?
2. -Sorry to be naive, but a have a liberal political bent (not crazy liberal); is Dallas popular and public culture predominately conservative?
3. -Is there such a thing as a suburban commute under 45 minutes?
4. -Is there such a things as a new 3-2-2 with pool under $200,000..in a middle class neighborhood?
5. -Any other things I should consider about Dallas?
6. -I thought about San Antonio and Austin also...any feedback on those cities?

Thanks
1. Not fab. Summer is hotter than hell. Only two months of continuous 100 degree days is darn near as bad as a CHI deep freeze. Winter - to me it's no problem. I haven't donned a pair of gloves in two years. Allergy season has been going two solid months now. All in all I consider it I slight downgrade from BOS due largely to my allergies here which were largely a non-issue in BOS. I would wager it a break even for you too relative to CHI, but perhaps an downgrade from FL.

2. Yes but not absolute. Red Sox fans do go to Yankee games and survive. I personally hate politicians altogether so I'm fine - I pay them no heed or respect.

3. Sure. Start with an apt, then just get a house near your job. It's doable.

4. Sure. Plenty. Won't be a problem.

5. There's no ocean.

6. Yeah, they're smaller.

Old 05-21-2010, 05:45 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,303,518 times
Dallas is a great city! I chose it over Florida when I was relocating. The quality of life is just much better here. There is a very long warm weather season here with long hot summers but winter is usually from mid december to mid feb. with warm spells throughout, I personally like a little taste of winter but for a short period of time. I grew up in the midwest myself. The political environment in Texas is funny because it has such a backward conservative reputation yet Dallas, Austin & Houston are all pretty liberal and accepting. If you are moving because you are bored where you are then I would definitely stick to the bigger cities in Texas like Dallas or Houston because while Austin and SA are great cities their offerings arent what youd find in the larger cities. Good luck on your relocation I'm sure you'll find Dallas a great place to live.

Old 05-22-2010, 12:45 PM

8 posts, read 16,073 times
I agree with what everyone has said. When I relocated here with my family in 2007, it was largely due to the wonderful quality of life in a vibrant and affordable area. There is always something to do! The weather is wonderful, too! I moved from New York (upstate near Buffalo, where it is common to see 70" of snow each year). I hate the cold, and I hate shoveling! The great thing about TX is that the cold season is short, and it never stays bitter cold for long. It does get crazy hot here, but AC is everywhere, and you can always go inside! Oh, and you never have to shovel the heat!

Keep us up to speed on what you decide! DFW is wonderful!

Last edited by FarNorthDallas; 05-22-2010 at 12:47 PM.. Reason: edited solicitation

Old 05-22-2010, 03:50 PM

563 posts, read 1,711,001 times
Quote:

-How is the weather year round: I hate cold weather..how long does the winter last in Dallas: is it short enough to be dealt with?
Weather is fantastic here. I lived in brutal Kansas for a couple of years (it's probably comparable to Chicago winters). You will not think Dallas is cold. We rarely go below freezing here in the winter, although we will have some days where we do. I think what you will notice is how bright the sunshine stays here, all year long. Up north it gets gloomy in winter time.
-Sorry to be naive, but a have a liberal political bent (not crazy liberal); is Dallas popular and public culture predominately conservative?
I am very liberal and have a lot of liberal friends. All depends on the circle you hang out with.
Definitely. In fact, I know very few people who commute more than 45 minutes.
-Is there such a things as a new 3-2-2 with pool under $200,000..in a middle class neighborhood?
Definitely. But you will have to get further out of the city to find it, which will increase your commute.
People are some of the nicest in the country, I feel. You should be able to make friends fairly easily here as compared to some places. It's very diverse here, lots of singles too.
Can't give much on those two cities except Austin is slightly less diverse (smaller African American population), and is big but isn't the same metropolitan feel that you will get in Dallas, Houston or San Antonio. San Antonio's population is more than 50% Hispanic, so you will find slightly more of that influence down there. But really it's all over the state anyway.

Thanks
I have lived here almost my entire life so feel free to DM me if you have specific questions! :-)

Old 05-22-2010, 09:01 PM

1,256 posts, read 2,492,556 times
Quote:
Here are the questions I need advice on:

Thanks
Hello! We're just moved back to DFW after living in another state for 15 years. Dallas is pretty great overall -- excellent restaurants, lots of culture -- the art museum is a gem, we've been to several Broadway shows, the Arboretum is spectacular, plus all major league sports. Public transport is available - no match for Chicago, but after living without it all these years it's great to have the DART.

In comparision with San Antonio/Austin: Apples and oranges. San Antonio has a lower cost of living, while Austin has a cool, liberal vibe. Both are prettier and more scenic than Dallas. But I think the job market is better in DFW. Salaries are lower in San Antonio, and it's always been hard to find a job in Austin (the coolness factor, music scene, etc, means a lot of people want to live there). Neither city has as good public transport; and the traffic in Austin worse than Dallas, imho.

As for your other questions:
1. Weather can reach any extreme -- we had lots of snow and ice this winter (an anomoly, perhaps) and summers are hot and humid. This spring has been fantastic -- not too hot, not too rainy!
2. There are liberal pockets all over the city. Many areas -- East Dallas, Lakewood, Turtle Creek, Oak Lawn, north Oak Cliff -- are known to be very liberal. I've actually not run into too many of the redneck conservative archetypes -- most of my neighbors moved here from Chicago, California, etc. I think you'll be able to carve a niche with no problem.
3. Depends on where you work! Almost everyone will tell you to find the job first and base your home search accordingly. It can be done, just takes planning.
4. I think this would be a stretch. Have you considered a condo?

I hope this info helps -- best of luck!

Old 05-22-2010, 09:46 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,888,798 times
We've been down here 11 years and while the cost of living is great, the job market is booming, and the people are nice, Texas isn't all wine and roses.

The climate, scenery, transportation infrastructure, and public school systems all suck rocks. Wanna go almost anyplace, you'll have to pay a toll. Wanna go someplace scenic? Try Oklahoma. Will your kids even make it to high school graduation? Almost 40% don't. Winters are great but summer blows. I don't care how much one dislikes cold. You can always add layers. During the summer, you're kinda limited on how much you can take off. It's so &*^%ing hot and humid here that you spend probably 80% of the day indoors in A/C from June through mid-September. Nothing beats waking up at 6am in mid-July, looking at the thermometer, and seeing it already at 80 degrees and 75% humidity.

Last edited by bluescreen73; 05-22-2010 at 09:57 PM..

Old 05-23-2010, 12:16 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
texas like fl is a stratified layer of social/cultural groups, political points of view, old/young, conservative/liberal, fair-minded/foul-mouthed...
our government is as bad or worse than FL
our taxes are worse
depending on where you live in FL we probably have more illegals and fewer seniors
better Mexican food, worse seafood (although after this oil spill armageddon I don't know who will have decent seafood)
I bet there are many people living in your town who are perfectly happy--
have you considered that you should change before you change your location...
my experience has been that location is not as important as personality...
sorry if that sounds harsh...just mean look within not outward for what to improve your life...

Old 05-23-2010, 10:19 AM

289 posts, read 1,138,736 times
Dallas is great for the "average" person and not so great for others.

Dallas weather has few really terrible months, but also no month of the year where you can be sure of warm (but not hot) non humid weather. There are usually about 2 weeks in April and 2 weeks in the fall where I think "wow, it's really nice outside." There are 4 months where it can snow and that's a few too many for my liking. If you're from Chicago, it'll be much better than that. But compared to Florida, worse. This is not a place to move if you don't like winter.

Dallas has a lot to do if you like average things - malls, movie theaters, chain restaurants and chain stores. If you like something slightly unusual (my ideal day out is a really great library, a few fine craft galleries, and a Japanese bookstore) then you are out of luck. If your interests coincide with the majority then you are fine.

Dallas has few things that I'd call world class. It's got a "good enough" zoo, a "good enough" aquarium, etc etc.

It's not scenic, but not unattractive - bonus points if you love the look of brick. It's a great place to save money, but there's not much worth spending money on. I expect it's a great place to raise kids because kids like sameness.

So, I'd say whether to move to Dallas depends on what you are looking for. I wouldn't come to Dallas for excitement or because you are bored where you are, because I think you'll be bored here. If you have 2.5 kids and are looking for a nice place to raise them and you have generally average likes and dislikes, then you'll probably love it here.

Old 05-23-2010, 12:17 PM

41 posts, read 117,870 times
Default Reply to Loves2read

"I bet there are many people living in your town who are perfectly happy--
have you considered that you should change before you change your location...
my experience has been that location is not as important as personality...
sorry if that sounds harsh...just mean look within not outward for what to improve your life..."

Loves2read:

Yes, there are many people living in my town who are perfectly happy...I am one of them. My issue is that the number of things to do here is limited, so I would like to live someplace more urban, with more varied activities. If you can explain to me how I 'look inward' to create more things to do (that doesn't involve psychotropic drugs) I'm all ears.

It's wonderfully ironic to hear you talk of the importance of personality, as you then go on to demean, denigrate and lecture...you sure know about personality!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas