Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: what has been your experience with tornados in the Metroplex region?
my home was destroyed by one 0 0%
My home was hit but not destroyed 2 3.70%
houses in my neighborhood were hit, not mine 5 9.26%
houses within a few miles of me were hit 16 29.63%
i have close friends whose homes were destroyed 1 1.85%
i have close friends whose homes were damaged 3 5.56%
i know people whose homes were destroyed 2 3.70%
i know people whose homes were damaged 8 14.81%
never known anyone to have tornado damage 25 46.30%
other 1 1.85%
I just like voting! 13 24.07%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 09:58 PM

15,472 posts, read 10,396,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
1976?

I think it was 1976, a long time ago - lol. It touched down around Midway and Royal and then skipped along Royal until Central. It was small, an F1 or 2. Several million in property damage but only one injury if memory serves me correctly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 06:39 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,725,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
You can't always see them in the city. I got a call that one was headed my way and when I looked out the window all I saw was gray sky with shingles flying around in a circle. It was a few blocks over but the winds did enough damage that I got a new roof. You can still see a bent antenna on the south west corner of Preston Royal (don't tell them, I kinda like it).
One thing I've learned since moving to Oklahoma a couple of years ago is that you can't see always see them in the country either. They can be wrapped in rain, and be right on top of you before you realize they are there. Since I moved to OK I have learned way more about tornados than I ever wanted to know. Until I came here I had no idea that there were different types of funnels, tornados etc. However, I will say that the meterologists and strom chasers here are amazing. They go to great lengths to keep everyone safe.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:18 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,433,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
I think it was 1976, a long time ago - lol. It touched down around Midway and Royal and then skipped along Royal until Central. It was small, an F1 or 2. Several million in property damage but only one injury if memory serves me correctly.
That's the one I'm thinking of, too. I know it took a few roofs pretty near me, within blocks, and didn't it take down a church or some other building?
Where is the bent antenna you mentioned? I'd like to get a look while I'm on my errands today.

Old 05-25-2010, 05:30 PM

15,472 posts, read 10,396,446 times
I think it did knock down some walls of a church, but I can't remember which one. The antenna is where Dodd's Nusery used to be. Today I noticed it was leaning over really bad, I hope I didn't jinx it after all these years - lol.

Old 05-26-2010, 01:17 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,437,282 times
There have been a couple of tornadoes in Mesquite over the years. I had always been told tornadoes haven't hit in the Dallas urban area for years by most everyone I've ever met, but last week I met a woman at work who was gazing fearfully out the window at the ominous sky. I said to her "you seem to worry quite a bit about tornadoes..." She went on to tell me how a she was at her home in Mesquite when a tornado hit her house and tore the roof off. It blew down the brick houses too. Mesquite has had several over the recent decades. Just Google Mesquite tornado.

Old 05-26-2010, 07:48 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,585,380 times
we rode out the big tornado/storm that came through FTW during that Friday at Mayfest 1995--
my husband, high-school senior daughter, and I were in Everman for what was supposed to be first game of a select softball tounament that weekend--
we could see the cloud on the horizon as we came west on 820 and by the time we got off the freeway and were at the field we knew the game was cancelled...
we did not think we could drive back home to Bedford in time before the storm arrived--
my husband said the one thing he did not want to do was be caught on the freeway...
we tried to find some covered parking but that part of S FTW area has no parking garages or anything--people had already parked in the drive-through lanes at some banks and were pulled up under overpasses to the side...

we found a Dairy Queen that had a metal awning cover for parking--better than being exposed to the hail, my husband said...and went in...
of course--looking back--a store front that has ONLY plates of sheet glass with metal stripping is not the greatest place to be if you think a tornado is coming...

we waited there--saw the divided street outside become filled to over the sidewalks with rain--and there were cars/trucks driving down it periodically ALL the time of the storm
there were other people there as well who came in to wait it out--
we could see the glass flex with the force of the rain that was pouring out like from 20 fire hoses ...the water was seeping down where the metal stripping held the glass together...

at about the worst part, the manager told everyone to come into the kitchen area (no windows/all cinderblock walls)--felt pretty safe there but the root could have lifted off and the windows blown out

we were pretty lucky--no hail damage to the car because the metal roofing held--
our college son was home in Bedford--he pulled mattress off his bed and was under it in the hall--
felt really sorry for him that he was there alone...we did not have any bad damage with our big trees at home either--

driving home we had to take kind of round-about route because of down trees and abandoned cars...
on the freeway we saw plenty of cars that had their windshields and windows blown out by hail and were just abandoned sometimes in the lanes of the freeway...
I can only imagine how bad that was---some people just stopped their cars UNDER the overpasses IN the lanes--so they totally blocked anyone else from coming past...

we drove past a huge mfg plant for Bell helicopter or General Dynamics--the lights inside were all visible from pretty far away because one side of the bldg and part of the roof were just peeled away--
like an opened shoe-box on its side...

that was probably the worst experience although we have been in areas where tornados have gone past before...felt very vulnerable sitting in that Dairy Queen...
but could not get over how people were still driving down the street even in the worst of the storm...

Old 06-04-2010, 08:42 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,435,206 times
how often do you hear the sirens?

Old 06-05-2010, 08:27 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,433,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
how often do you hear the sirens?
Where I am we haven't heard them at all this year. I think last year maybe once, but maybe not at all that year either. The year before (or the year before that, not sure) it was 2 or 3 times, so it varies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas