Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 06:57 AM

108 posts, read 198,845 times

Advertisements

I am going to be moving to Dallas to get treatment at the VA medical center there, and need to know what regions to look at online as far as apartments in that neck of the woods. I also need to know if there are any right off the lightrail system that runs by the VA medical center. And I would also like to know which neighborhoods to avoid. Any help is much appreciated...I should be moving to Dallas within the next few months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 09:06 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,614,065 times
I'd avoid pretty much ALL of the neighborhoods around the VA. Truly a first class facility but not in a good part of town. Google DART and study their light rail maps. There are plenty of decent apartment complexes near their rail lines, but I'd stay away from the southern sector for the most part. Not saying there aren't decent apartments in cities like DeSoto, Duncanville, Lancaster, etc.. But I think you'll have better luck north of downtown Dallas. Pricier but that's the price you'll have to pay to insure a safe neighborhood.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:19 AM

I looked at Dart...they have a blue line that goes to the VA...how would I find apartments directly on the blue line?

Old 05-20-2010, 09:25 AM

What about Garland, which is at the other end of the blue line from the VA on dart? Or what about Plano, which is at the end of the red line? Would it be easy to switch from blue to red line? And how close to apartments would be the Garland and Plano stops?

Old 05-20-2010, 11:28 AM

I'm looking on rent.com and these are how they break down the neighborhoods..which would be good for me and directly on a dart line?

Casa Linda
Deep Ellum
Downtown
East Dallas
Frankford
Greenville
Kessler Park
Knox Walk
Lake Highlands
Lakewood
Love Field
North Dallas
Northeast Dallas
Northwest Dallas
Oak Cliff
Oak Lawn
Park Cities Area
Pleasant Grove
Red Bird
South Dallas
Southeast Dallas
Southwest Dallas
Stevens Park
The Village
Uptown
Vickery Meadows
White Rock

Old 05-20-2010, 05:39 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,462,012 times
Casa Linda - don't know where this is
Deep Ellum - is on a different rail line and you would have to go downtown and transfer trains
Downtown - this is an option
East Dallas - not on blue line
Frankford - In Far North Dallas - far far away
Greenville - Avenue? town? The red line runs along Greenville Ave.
Kessler Park (North Oak Cliff) - not on a train route that I am aware of, if it is it's the red line
Knox Walk - no clue what this is
Lake Highlands - yeah, I think some of Lake Highlands is on the blue line
Lakewood - not on the blue line
Love Field - no train
North Dallas - closest rail line is red
Northeast Dallas - sortof the same area as Lake Highlands
Northwest Dallas - no rail
Oak Cliff - if there is a rail line, it would be red line and you'd have to go to downtown to change trains
Oak Lawn - no rail
Park Cities Area - no rail in Highland Park or University Park - expensive area - closest train station for blue line would be Mockingbird Station
Pleasant Grove - no
Red Bird - no
South Dallas - no
Southeast Dallas - no
Southwest Dallas - not sure
Stevens Park - don't know this
The Village - it's on the red line and a 2-4 block walk to a rail station
Uptown - you would have to take the Trolley to the train
Vickery Meadows - if this is the scary neighborhood near 5 points - no
White Rock - don't know this area

really just go to the DART website and get a map of the train line that goes by the VA - the blue one apparently - and only look along that line

Old 05-20-2010, 06:09 PM

6,819 posts, read 14,029,650 times
The VA is in a bad neighborhood. The hospital is safe and secure but the immediate area around it is not. DART rail does run right in front of the hospital. If you want a direct route to the hospital look at the units near downtown (Cedars area) or The Village (apartments) on Greenville ave. Both of these offer nice units and you can catch the rail to the VA without transferring.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:27 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,462,012 times
Here's a link to a map that includes the Blue Line to the VA:
DART.org - DART Rail System Map

Old 05-20-2010, 07:44 PM

424 posts, read 1,816,971 times
In December of 2010, you will have more options. The rail will be opening to Carrollton, Farmer's Branch and heading on down south. There will be one transfer at Market Center (I believe that's the stop) and you will have to switch to blue line. I am pumped for this to happen so I can quit driving my car and enjoy a relaxing commute Also, the VA offers local Dart passes for weekdays the first part of every year. An added bonus for working there. I'm not sure if there is a waiting list; but just know that is an option.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:18 PM

922 posts, read 1,697,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Casa Linda - don't know where this is
Garland Rd. Buckner Blvd. Area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas