Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 06:53 PM

115 posts, read 248,222 times

Advertisements

Hello to all! I am still in Michigan and I will be relocating to Dallas in July. I am currently at work up here in Michigan and I was conversing with a doctor in regards to my relocation. I informed him that I was moving to Dallas. He asked what part and I stated ,well im going south of dallas to Cedar Hill. He went on this long 30 minute rant about how I want to stay away from anything south, southwest, and southeast of Dallas, oh yeah and yes stay away from Oakcliff. He stated I am from Arlington and you want to move north anything north is good and everything south is bad!! This is becoming a popular statement....Why is that???

Old 05-26-2010, 07:08 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,210,937 times
Listen to your Doctor. It's not hard to figure out, really.

Old 05-26-2010, 07:13 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,455,230 times
Did you tell him your plan was to live in Cedar Hill and work in Garland?

Old 05-26-2010, 08:17 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,210,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Yeah that commute day after day is just ridiculous. If you're going to move to Dallas do it right.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:28 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,263,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Cedar Hill to Garland is a ridiculous commute. However Cedar Hill is a lovely suburb and not at all a bad place to live. Certainly no worse than Plano IMHO.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:45 PM

681 posts, read 2,358,595 times
I don't think I'd mind living there if I WORKED in the area. From your other posts, it seems you have a shot at working in Garland. If you do get a job there, it makes no sense to accept rent on a place in Cedar Hill. There are too many good neighborhoods near Garland to warrant that horrible commute.

You describe yourself as a single mom of several children. As much as Cedar Hill and the southern burbs sound appealing to you, please consider living near where you work so you can be near your kids. Commuting from Cedar Hill, your life will be spent at work and in the car - not with your family. What are you going to do if there's an emergency at day care or at school? It'll take forever, literally forever, to get there mid-day. When will you allow time to help with homework? Participate in after-school activities? It's just too far.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:49 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,263,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittySkyfish View Post
I don't think I'd mind living there if I WORKED in the area. From your other posts, it seems you have a shot at working in Garland. If you do get a job there, it makes no sense to accept rent on a place in Cedar Hill. There are too many good neighborhoods near Garland to warrant that horrible commute.

You describe yourself as a single mom of several children. As much as Cedar Hill and the southern burbs sound appealing to you, please consider living near where you work so you can be near your kids. Commuting from Cedar Hill, your life will be spent at work and in the car - not with your family. What are you going to do if there's an emergency at day care or at school? It'll take forever, literally forever, to get there mid-day. When will you allow time to help with homework? Participate in after-school activities? It's just too far.
All great points. I think this is the main reason why the southern suburbs are not as desirable or growing as fast as the northern ones...most big employers are located north of the Trinity River. People want to live nearish to where they work, so they dutifully settle in Plano, Richardson, Allen, etc. I am guilty of that too; one of the factors about my home that influenced my decision to buy it was its proximity to 75. I'm also just north of the high five so that is a bonus.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:07 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,677,759 times
I think the comment about the southern parts of Dallas and Oak Cliff are simply racist and I am offended by that mentality. There are some absolutely drop dead gorgeous neighborhoods in Oak Cliff, Cedar Hill, DeSoto, Red Oak, Midlothian, Mansfield, etd. However, with a few exceptions (one being HPISD) the vast majority of highly rated school districts are north of Hwy 183 on the west side and north of 635 on the east side. So that's a consideration.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:11 PM

681 posts, read 2,358,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
All great points. I think this is the main reason why the southern suburbs are not as desirable or growing as fast as the northern ones...most big employers are located north of the Trinity River. People want to live nearish to where they work, so they dutifully settle in Plano, Richardson, Allen, etc. I am guilty of that too; one of the factors about my home that influenced my decision to buy it was its proximity to 75. I'm also just north of the high five so that is a bonus.
True! Many of the northern towns aren't simply bedroom communities - there are quite a few major headquarters up this way. Spring Creek & 75 was my DH's former job site, now it's in McKinney. Our home in Allen near 75 worked out well for us! I was originally pushing to live in Richardson but we ended up here, which makes his new McKinney commute easy as well. It takes him about 18 minutes to/from work. That'sa vurry nice.

If his job originally took us near downtown, we surely wouldn't be living out here as we prefer to live near work.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:54 AM

115 posts, read 248,222 times
I appreciate everyones comments and I too believe that alot of comments in regards to northern burbs and southern burbs on all of the post on city data are racial to some extent. Yes, I do have an interview at baylor garland, along with the VA, methodist as well. I like what I have seen via the web and read in regards to Cedar Hill. I do not believe that a 40 minute commute to and from work is unbearable, I have done local travel here in MI where I commuted 1 hr and 10 minutes each way. I appreciate the concerns in regards to my family but I have that part under control. When I come to town in a couple of weeks. I will drive the routes that I have been told of from Cedar Hill to Garland, the shift is from 7a-7p three days a week , so I will drive that route a couple of times while im there during those times to see what it is like. I will also drive it in the after noon as well to see what is and what works best for me.

Thanks again,
I really appreciate every ones point of view on the matter, it helps to see things from various angles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas