Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2010, 12:06 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,372,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by portyhead24 View Post
What tragic event happened in your life that you feel the need to s*** on other people's happiness?

You just sound bitter and jealous really. Not sure if you realize that but that's what it is.
Dallas' progress does seem to bother some people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 12:56 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,269,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout_972 View Post
Dallas' progress does seem to bother some people.
I guess in a way beause Dallas seems to focused on trying to look good rather than actually building a real city. Building a city requires time and allowing the neighborhoods to grow and mature. You have to nuture the neighborhoods to develop the character involved in becoming a city. You don't just throw up fancy bridges and buildings and empty condos and call it progress. When places do things like that, it shows that its screaming for attention, "Notice me! Look what I got!" I guess that's what seems to annoy people.

I think these are good projects and have to admit, they're ultra cool. I think some Dallas people shouldn't take everything so seriously though. All of this money being spent on these projects could be better spent into improving the city (the people), not some artificial stage props. I don't think you guys should get offended when people call that out, because its true.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:05 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,759,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2H (ComingtoHouston) View Post
I guess in a way beause Dallas seems to focused on trying to look good rather than actually building a real city. Building a city requires time and allowing the neighborhoods to grow and mature. You have to nuture the neighborhoods to develop the character involved in becoming a city. You don't just throw up fancy bridges and buildings and empty condos and call it progress. When places do things like that, it shows that its screaming for attention, "Notice me! Look what I got!" I guess that's what seems to annoy people.

I think these are good projects and have to admit, they're ultra cool. I think some Dallas people shouldn't take everything so seriously though. All of this money being spent on these projects could be better spent into improving the city (the people), not some artificial stage props. I don't think you guys should get offended when people call that out, because its true.
Every other city did it so what makes Dallas different.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:16 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,372,669 times
Quote:

I think it's due to envy and fascination of Dallas.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout_972 View Post
I think it's due to envy and fascination with Dallas.
Dallas is a very fascinating city, just like Austin, San Antonio, and Houston. But envy? Hardly.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:37 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,759,681 times
I just want Houstonians to be genuinely happy for Dallas. At least we are trying to make the ugly flood plain look better. I know we could have waited until the economy got better, but this project was planned in 1998. The bridge has been under construction since 2005, way before the economic downturn.

Dallasites have waited for 12 years for this bridge to be built, that's why we are so excited to see this bridge almost complete

Old 06-30-2010, 01:38 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,607,655 times
Quote:
I guess in a way beause Dallas seems to focused on trying to look good rather than actually building a real city. Building a city requires time and allowing the neighborhoods to grow and mature. You have to nuture the neighborhoods to develop the character involved in becoming a city. You don't just throw up fancy bridges and buildings and empty condos and call it progress.
But here's where your argument falters. Dallas doesn't only throw up buildings and call it progress. There are many neighborhoods and initiatives that have been done that have been progressive. For instance the uptown area where Lemmon and McKinney intersect, none of that even existed 10 years ago. Now you've got many apartments, shops, restaurants, a real true and thriving neighborhood that is walkable that has only been growing. Same for Mockingbird Station. Same goes for Oak Lawn, and Oak Cliff especially the Bishop Arts. Now Victory Park, that has initially been a failure, but that can be turned around into something successful. So you can't see sit here and say Dallas is just building and building but nothing is happening. That's totally false. Dallas is growing and building just like Houston, so that's why I say y'all just sound bitter when the city puts forth an ambitious project and y'all just wanna run your mouths. This isn't a Houston vs. Dallas thread, we've got plenty of those so why not have your arguments over there?

Old 06-30-2010, 01:43 PM

Quote:
But here's where your argument falters. Dallas doesn't only throw up buildings and call it progress. There are many neighborhoods and initiatives that have been done that have been progressive. For instance the uptown area where Lemmon and McKinney intersect, none of that even existed 10 years ago. Now you've got many apartments, shops, restaurants, a real true and thriving neighborhood that is walkable that has only been growing. Same for Mockingbird Station. Same goes for Oak Lawn, and Oak Cliff especially the Bishop Arts. Now Victory Park, that has initially been a failure, but that can be turned around into something successful. So you can't see sit here and say Dallas is just building and building but nothing is happening. That's totally false. Dallas is growing and building just like Houston, so that's why I say y'all just sound bitter when the city puts forth an ambitious project and y'all just wanna run your mouths. This isn't a Houston vs. Dallas thread, we've got plenty of those so why not have your arguments over there?
You have no argument from me about Uptown/Lemmon area. That neighborhood has been successful, but the $1million dollar condo market is just not there yet.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:44 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,607,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
At least we are trying to make the ugly flood plain look better.

Exactly, part of what makes a city great and attractive to potential residents is making the appearance of a city pleasant and inviting. Part of the appeal is presentation. When you go to an upscale restaurant a big part of your meal is presentation because the more attractive it looks, the better people think it tastes. Of course the food has to be actually tasty, but Dallas has substance too. So Dallas being ambitious as it is, has initiated these projects knowing that these are a part of what makes a city great and yes maybe even one day world class. You don't get noticed by being plain and practical and I'm in no one insinuating that this is how Houston is, but apparently our progress threatens some of you on here, so you keep trying to say how Dallas is too glitzy and isn't practical. Well, while y'all are over there crying your woes and complaining, we're gonna keep on progressing.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Exactly, part of what makes a city great and attractive to potential residents is making the appearance of a city pleasant and inviting. Part of the appeal is presentation. When you go to an upscale restaurant a big part of your meal is presentation because the more attractive it looks, the better people think it tastes. Of course the food has to be actually tasty, but Dallas has substance too. So Dallas being ambitious as it is, has initiated these projects knowing that these are a part of what makes a city great and yes maybe even one day world class. You don't get noticed by being plain and practical and I'm in no one insinuating that this is how Houston is, but apparently our progress threatens some of you on here, so you keep trying to say how Dallas is too glitzy and isn't practical. Well, while y'all are over there crying your woes and complaining, we're gonna keep on progressing.
And i'm very proud of you. Good job
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas