Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2010, 08:46 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas12 View Post
Also, it's great that we have this bridge, especially with a kick-a** design from a world renowned architect.
It is going to be quite a landmark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 08:59 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,377,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2H (ComingtoHouston) View Post
Are you on HAIF? You seem to be getting a little defensive over this. All people are saying is that its unnecessary money spent and its quite evident that Dallas wants to increase its world class status and its clearly not ready. Like someone pointed out on HAIF, The Ritz Carlton, a actual well-known name is only 63% leased and its been already been 4 years. It may be exciting to see a new tower and pretty new arches to look at, but that's not building a city. You can't honestly sit there and say that the overbuilding and vanity projects Dallas has been doing is normal.

But i rest my case. I think most people agree that these are exciting new projects for the city but not great economic ideas. Its just amazing that Dallas is willing to gamble so much just to try to be a hip and cool city. That shows that Dallas will give its blood to prove that it can be on par with the big boys. Balls over brains.
C2H, I'm sure the City of Dallas thanks you for your concerns. Along with all the other concerned Houstonians.

Maybe you should address them to the Dallas city council, instead of on an internet message board.

End the vanity building projects now!!

Old 06-27-2010, 09:11 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout_972 View Post
C2H, I'm sure the City of Dallas thanks you for your concerns. Along with all the other concerned Houstonians.

Maybe you should address them to the Dallas city council, instead of on an internet message board.

End the vanity building projects now!!
Yes Dad!

Old 06-28-2010, 11:03 AM

457 posts, read 905,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2H (ComingtoHouston) View Post
Are you on HAIF? You seem to be getting a little defensive over this. All people are saying is that its unnecessary money spent and its quite evident that Dallas wants to increase its world class status and its clearly not ready. Like someone pointed out on HAIF, The Ritz Carlton, a actual well-known name is only 63% leased and its been already been 4 years. It may be exciting to see a new tower and pretty new arches to look at, but that's not building a city. You can't honestly sit there and say that the overbuilding and vanity projects Dallas has been doing is normal.

But i rest my case. I think most people agree that these are exciting new projects for the city but not great economic ideas. Its just amazing that Dallas is willing to gamble so much just to try to be a hip and cool city. That shows that Dallas will give its blood to prove that it can be on par with the big boys. Balls over brains.
Well, compared to some people, I hardly post at all. But thanks for noticing!

I don't see the problem with Dallas striving to be a world class city - its a long road and they have to start somewhere. Certainly you don't think world class cities are built overnight.

Though I am not a fan of wasteful spending, I "get" the idea behind building the Calatrava-designed bridge. Dallas is mostly flat and void of natural landmarks. For over a hundred years Dallas developers have been building unique structures that serve as man-made landmarks, or beacons on the flat prairie. The bridge simply continues the tradition of landmark building, and I think its going to be a sharp addition to the skyline.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:30 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
Dallas News - Unfair Park - "Trinity River Project" Archives

Old 06-28-2010, 11:42 AM

3,260 posts, read 8,765,323 times
Video | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News (http://www.dallasnews.com/video/index.html?nvid=414683&shu=1 - broken link)

Old 06-28-2010, 12:30 PM

659 posts, read 1,376,922 times
Beautiful bridge (to no where)! The bridge below spans the Houston Ship Channel. Now, that's somewhere!

Last edited by feufoma; 06-28-2010 at 12:39 PM..

Old 06-28-2010, 12:38 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,765,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feufoma View Post
Beautiful bridge (to no where)!
This bridge is going somewhere. This bridge is connecting West Dallas to Downtown Dallas.

Old 06-28-2010, 03:31 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,578,288 times
This p1ssing contest between Dallas posters and Houston posters is getting ridiculous.

Old 06-28-2010, 03:52 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,958,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
This bridge is going somewhere. This bridge is connecting West Dallas to Downtown Dallas.
This bridge doesn't even connect anyroads to each other. It truly is a bridge to nowhere. Those for the bridges have said it'll only cost 150 million. Opponents believe all of this new bridge/levee construction will cost up to 2 billion, and the opponents seem to be right, so far. In Dallas' desperation to eat with the big boys, they gather in hundreds of millions of dollars to connect a bridge with nothing. Not to mention things like mortgaging the retirements of their firemen and police officers over an overpriced condo tower Downtown. Smart. But hey, at least it looks nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas