Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 06:16 PM

79 posts, read 182,361 times

Advertisements

I am a little confused the Lewisville ISD is in Lewisville, Flower Mound and Highland Village. Why would Flower Mound and Highland Village have a rating of 10 on greatschools.org and Lewisville have a rating of 6. and they are all in the same district?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2010, 07:05 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,456,658 times
Yeah, Lewisville ISD covers a big area. Flower Mound has 2 high schools - Flower Mound and Marcus. Highland Village feeds into Flower Mound area schools.

In the city of Lewisville there is Lewisville High School.

The Lewisville ISD (school district) also cover the the town of The Colony and it also has Hebron High School which pulls from several cities including Carrollton, Plano and Frisco.

Unlike other states, the school district boundaries are not related to city boundaries although you may see some of the same names.

The Flower Mound area schools of Lewisville ISD are the best in the district - and they also have the highest % of Caucasians and the lowest free/reduced lunch kids.

Old 05-30-2010, 10:39 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,554,983 times
Very Simple--more "upper-middle" income housing and more $$$. I don't even know if there is an apartment complex that feeds into Flower Mound High School, and they get all of the mansions and chateaus out in west Flower Mound.

Makes for one great high school (but don't be fooled, they still have drug problems like every other high school) but I have to say I think Lewisville High School gets the short of the end of the stick in LISD--and this is coming from an FMHS grad.

I loved my high school and got a great education, but I think the way the borders are drawn are somewhat unfair, and the complete lack of any "lower income" housing makes for a very elitist and entitled high school population, albeit one where most go to college and do well on tests, etc.

Old 05-31-2010, 12:07 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,416,797 times
How is it unfair to put people who live in Lewisville in LHS and people who live in Flowr Mound in FMHS?

Old 05-31-2010, 07:07 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy31700 View Post
I am a little confused the Lewisville ISD is in Lewisville, Flower Mound and Highland Village. Why would Flower Mound and Highland Village have a rating of 10 on greatschools.org and Lewisville have a rating of 6. and they are all in the same district?
demographics and income level. Let's face it, the higher the income level, usually the most successful kids are in school. Lewisville High School has a much higher drop out rate for instance and they don't do as well in state tests. There are some areas of Lewisville, that are very poor or lower middle class at best.

Nita

Old 05-31-2010, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
How is it unfair to put people who live in Lewisville in LHS and people who live in Flowr Mound in FMHS?
I agree, what is unfair about it. I think the days of forced busing ended years ago. Most school districts and the schools within them are devided according to area.

NIta

Old 06-01-2010, 03:52 PM

79 posts, read 182,361 times
So does Lewisville have a poor area, I see the area of 121 business is a little seedy but I have not seen a lower class area of Lewisville?

Old 06-01-2010, 06:19 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,554,983 times
Quote:
I guess "unfair" is a little strong--but look at the map. There are ares of houses less than .5 miles (maybe less) from FMHS that go to Marcus due to the FM 1171 boundary, while mansions miles away are included. And they just happen to be much older and smaller than the surrounding area. I'm just saying it isn't necessarily done by distance from the high school and I highly suspect there are other factors at play. FMHS is the "crown jewel" of the LISD school system--if you don't think so, why the heck did Lewisville High School and Marcus High School have to share a stadium for 20 years while Flower Mound got the ridiculous cream of the crop monstrosity from the get go?

Old 06-01-2010, 06:39 PM

6,800 posts, read 14,018,392 times
Lewisville is the oldest burbs and has residents from all income levels. Highland Village and Flower Mound are much more affluent neighborhoods and the schools reflect this. This is prevalent in most communities. Higher income equates to higher learning. Name me one school that is doing poorly in a affluent neighborhood.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy31700 View Post
So does Lewisville have a poor area, I see the area of 121 business is a little seedy but I have not seen a lower class area of Lewisville?
Probably if you want to clasify according to class, that is one of the areas that would be labled lower middle class. No, there probably aren't many truely poor neighborhoods. The otheside of 35 near 121 is a little bit seedy as well.

nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas