Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 06:58 PM

5 posts, read 6,520 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody-I'm currently in a position to move to Dallas from New Mexico because I received a great job opportunity. I work in the financial industry and work here is getting slower by the day. I applied at an investment firm in Dallas and I just found out that I got the job. I"m really excited but my wife is a little reluctant to move. All of our family and close friends are here and the thought of moving to start all over is a little frightening. I'd like to get your thoughts on something. Should I move to a place where I know financially we'll be stable, or stay here and struggle financially but at least we're happy with where we live. Thanks in advance for your consideration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 07:14 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokerb22 View Post
Hello everybody-I'm currently in a position to move to Dallas from New Mexico because I received a great job opportunity. I work in the financial industry and work here is getting slower by the day. I applied at an investment firm in Dallas and I just found out that I got the job. I"m really excited but my wife is a little reluctant to move. All of our family and close friends are here and the thought of moving to start all over is a little frightening. I'd like to get your thoughts on something. Should I move to a place where I know financially we'll be stable, or stay here and struggle financially but at least we're happy with where we live. Thanks in advance for your consideration.
We did the opposite, we did Dallas to NM and now are in NWA. Dallas area has a lot to offer, but I don't know what part of NM you live in. The worst part of the move will be adjusting to the humidity.

Yes, it will be hard for your wife, I remember the first time we moved (from So Ca to No CA) in those days it was a 9 hour drive from one place to the other and all our friends were in So Ca. as well as all our family. I was home sick at first, wanted to see all my old surroundings, but got involved in the community and never looked back. Especially if you are young, this is a great opportunity and there are a lot of wonderful things about Texas. The drive back and forth isn't all that bad, she will be fine.

Nita

Old 05-31-2010, 07:27 PM

Wow that's pretty funny that you did the opposite. I've lived in southern NM since 1995 and I've always been looking for a way out, but now that i"m married with a kid it's not just about me anymore. You make a good point though about getting involved in the community. This is a great career opportunity for me, I just want to be smart about it. Thanks for the kind words.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:06 AM

225 posts, read 518,753 times
Brokerb22, that is the $20,000 question. I would also add to that, could you see yourself being happy in Dallas? If you can have both here than it could be a good move. I am surrounded by family here in the Dallas area and they add to my life substantially so I can understand the stress involved of possibly leaving that inner circle.

Either way good luck and your decision is not an easy one especially in these tougher times.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:39 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
my questions would be are you sure this is a stable job offer--moving to new area and working in financial market I would be worried that if my salary was based on commission I would be hard pressed to maintain my income...
living in Dallas is not cheap
I think you need to really check your budget with some accurate info/projections
and if your wife is working now is she going to be looking for a job as well?

Old 06-01-2010, 01:09 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
my questions would be are you sure this is a stable job offer--moving to new area and working in financial market I would be worried that if my salary was based on commission I would be hard pressed to maintain my income...
living in Dallas is not cheap
I think you need to really check your budget with some accurate info/projections
and if your wife is working now is she going to be looking for a job as well?
yes, the working wife issue is certainly one to consider, but as for stability, I think he addressed that or in my opinion he did. He said work was getting slower all the time where he is now and the job offer was a great one. I took that as meaning it would be a very positive move, only drawback is wife's reluctance to leave her family.

Nita

Old 06-01-2010, 02:48 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,883,491 times
The plus side... the schools for the most part are much better in this area than in NM.

Old 06-01-2010, 04:42 PM

35 posts, read 81,611 times
I made the same move, New Mexico (Albuquerque) to Dallas. I must say, I loved it in Dallas. Of course, I was much younger and single so Dallas had a lot to offer in terms of nightlife and all that goes with living in the 'big city.' I'm sure you'll be fine. The drive back to NM is relatively easy and it's just a quick hop by plane. Best of luck!

Old 06-01-2010, 10:46 PM

Wow!! Thank you everybody for giving me all of this feed back. To highlight a few areas, yes this is a stable job with a steady base salary plus commission. I know confidently that our basic needs will be met. My wife is a stay at home mom, so remaining here in NM would probably result in her having to go back to work and taking out son to a daycare because things are so bad financially. Moving to Dallas would allow her to stay at home and be with our baby but the draw back is not really knowing anybody. We love it here so much, and have tons of friends. We'd be giving up a lot by moving. I'm torn. Do I stay and struggle financially and have my kid in a daycare, or suck it up and move to an unknown place so my family can be taken care.

Old 06-02-2010, 12:04 AM

15,523 posts, read 10,489,155 times
You sure are in a pickle, lol. I know two people who just left Albuquerque for San Diego. They kept staying and staying hoping eventually to advance and make more money. They finally gave up. Their story is a little different because they were transplants having come to UNM and stayed after graduation. So, while they had tons of friends they had no family there. Family is important especially since you have a baby. What's that saying, if mama isn't happy nobody's happy. Dallas is a great place, but I've seen where it can take people a couple of years to adjust. And, I would also add that while we like to provide the best for our families, sometimes the best isn't money. Perhaps there is a way for you to downsize a tad. An extra room or garage could be made into a rental. Maybe the wife could work part time and have a relative watch the baby. Perhaps she could work from home. I think you guys would end up loving it here, but until then - I dunno.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas