Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2010, 07:05 PM

34 posts, read 98,835 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am new to the Dallas area (live in Las Colinas) and my mom and sister are coming to visit from out of state. I want to make this a fun girl's weekend. I was wondering what food places that are unique to Dallas would be go to- Mexican restaurants, brunch, steakhouse, seafood--we eat anything! Also we want to get a nice hotel for one or two nights,have a spa day,and see the aquarium and the 6th floor museum. I want to stay at a hotel close to nice restaurants and somewhere with live music. We may go to the stockyards, but what are other neat things to see or do around Dallas or fort worth? They will be here June 17-22. Thanks! It's overwhelming
to search all over the Internet, and I'm still learning my
way around here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 07:55 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,280,416 times
Don't know your budget, but stay at the Hotel Crescent Court, Mansion on Turtle Creek, or the Ritz Carlton and you won't be disappointed. The Stoneleigh is also a gorgeous old Art Deco hotel that is very luxe.

Crescent & Ritz both have very nice spas. Ritz is offering 50% of body treatments (massage, scrubs, etc) every Thursday in June.

My favorite steakhouse is Nick & Sam's. Great bar scene, great martinis, and delicious- albeit expensive-food.

Mi Cocina in Highland Park Village is good Tex-Mex and scene. Be sure to check out the Monkey Bar on the third floor for a tree-top view of the Village. Window shopping is safer at night when the stores (Harry Winston, Jimmy Choo, Carolina Herrera, Hermes) are closed and you won't be tempted!

For brunch, try La Duni Latin Kitchen (Oak Lawn or McKinney Avenue locations). Breadwinner's is also a Dallas brunch institution.

For shopping, there are cute girly boutiques on Lovers Lane just east of the Tollroad (between tollroad & Douglas), in Snider Plaza by SMU, and a few sprinkled in old houses throughout Uptown.

For a fun night out, get dinner on Henderson Ave. The Porch is great casual, as is Neighborhood Services Tavern. Tei Tei is pretty good sushi/ Japanese. Park is the hottest restaurant there, but it can be a long wait. I'd recommend eating dinner somewhere else and then hitting Bar Celine (in the back) at Park afterwards.

I think this should get you going!

Old 06-03-2010, 08:50 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,677,759 times
Great food at Via Real right in Las Colinas, by the way.

Also catch a nice meal at Avanti's on McKinney Ave.; they have live music weekends after 9pm so make your dinner reservation for at least 8:30 pm

The 4 Seasons has a very nice spa (Las Colinas)

It will be hot; might want to go to Northpark mall for a stroll

Try to get tickets to a performance at the Winspear Opera House and eat at The Screen Door before the performance (park at the performance center & walk)

Old 06-03-2010, 09:47 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,280,416 times
Ooh, also just thought if you like musicals, Wicked is at the Fair Park Music Hall this month. It is fantastic!

Avenue Q is currently at the Winspear, but may be done by the 17th?

Old 06-04-2010, 09:45 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,145,727 times
Screen Door: If Mama Cooked This Good, We'd A-Stayed Home - Page 1 - Dining - Dallas - Dallas Observer

"Do get dessert. "A little pillow of heaven" is how my eatin' pal described the lemon pudding souffle. Sweet and tart, it's a puffy yellow cloud of wonderful that must have come either from a generation before or several after the traditional lemon meringue icebox pie. I've never had anything like it, and it's something altogether more wonderful than pie or banana puddin'. For days after our lunch, I get e-mails from my friend that just say "lemon pudding." We want lots more of it. And soon".

Old 06-04-2010, 02:46 PM

Thanks for all the help! I'm going to look into those suggestions!

Old 06-04-2010, 02:53 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,461,741 times
if your into sushi and a nice atmosphere go to Steel

STEEL Restaurant & Lounge

I love the zebra rolls. The calamari is pretty tasty too.

Old 06-04-2010, 04:38 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,145,727 times
Better get Wicked tickets soon, they are going fast.

Old 06-04-2010, 06:05 PM

12,818 posts, read 21,988,267 times
I probably can't add much more to what others have mentioned, but I just stayed for 5 days at the Crescent... beautiful hotel and well located. We had a blast.

We had some pretty serious suggestions about Mexican food, but our favorite was actually Fuel City's tacos. If you're looking for an elegant sit-down place, it's not Fuel City. However, if you want an interesting experience and great food, give it a shot. It's literally a window in a gas station (right near downtown)... well, actually two windows in a gas station (one inside and one out). The tacos are $1.40 each but they're small (I put down 4 easily with room for more). The Picadillo was by far my favorite. Grab a tallboy at the gas station, park in the shade and enjoy your lunch and watch the longhorn cattle graze. I'm sure the person who recommended it to me is here (I want to say Lakewooder) and I owe then a big thank you. It was one of the trip's highlights.

Eno's on North Bishop Avenue was a great flatbread pizza joint we found too. I don't know if you're into beer, but their selection was great. The neighborhood around Eno's (Bishop Art District) is pretty cool as well.

For sit-down Mexican, we liked the food, service and atmosphere of Ojeda's on Maple. It's not high-end, but it's not dumpy either. The building was warm and inviting and the staff was friendly. I couldn't help but notice all of the "hole-in-the-wall" style places nearby that looked like they may have some great food too, but we didn't have enough time.

We took an afternoon trip to the Stockyards Historic District in Fort Worth which was a nice way to spend a day. A little too kitsch for my tastes, but there's a lot to see and do right around there.

hotwire.com and priceline generally work well for great hotels at decent prices.

Old 06-04-2010, 06:36 PM

Thanks everybody!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas