Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 04:18 PM

965 posts, read 1,884,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
Be that as it may, if drugs are so freely flowing at parties, one should probably rethink where one is partying. Just saying. Iwas responding to this:

Where I've "partied" drugs aren't even on the radar, or even brought up in discussions, except for maybe EPO. ;-)
Well, I've been to many parties in which I didn't partake, but there are other people that do. It happens. I know you've been to a few house parties where some people would go to the back room and get all herbal, if you know what I mean. I guess you hang out with nothing but angels and saints.

I went down to Jazzfest in New Orleans a few years back, and I was having a great time eating my Crawfish Monica and drinking Strawberry Lemonade to cool down. Meanwhile, Lenny Kravitz was high out of his mind, and I saw people in the audience passing around joints and even a few freebasing cocaine. It was a weird scene. Again, I didn't partake in any of that, but there are people who do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 09:59 PM

166 posts, read 611,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
Well, I've been to many parties in which I didn't partake, but there are other people that do. It happens. I know you've been to a few house parties where some people would go to the back room and get all herbal, if you know what I mean. I guess you hang out with nothing but angels and saints.

I went down to Jazzfest in New Orleans a few years back, and I was having a great time eating my Crawfish Monica and drinking Strawberry Lemonade to cool down. Meanwhile, Lenny Kravitz was high out of his mind, and I saw people in the audience passing around joints and even a few freebasing cocaine. It was a weird scene. Again, I didn't partake in any of that, but there are people who do.
Man, I got to go hang out in New Orleans sometime!

Old 06-13-2010, 03:47 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,328,014 times
Quote:
Thanks man.

Also, a poster from Arizona has a lot of nerve trying to call Texas out on it's racism. Pot, meet kettle.

We can stop with the racism crap. There are racists in every single state of this country. It's not a south thing or a north thing or a black thing or a white thing. There are racists everywhere. In fact, I had more racist b.s. slung at me when I lived in So. Cal in 4 years than I have in Texas in 20.

Old 06-13-2010, 01:16 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,812,279 times
Quote:
Nope, never been to a house party like that, the people I party with are more concerned with health and fitness, and are not pot heads. Then there are the parties that are with the saints and angels, and no, it doesn't happen either.

Quote:
That really puts a damper on the evening. I have been to Jazz under the Stars in downtown Dallas, several times, and it is just not acceptable there. I do remember a Kansas concert in Dallas back in the early 80's where you could smell pot wafting through the concert hall. However, at places like House of Blues, not even a hint. Earth Wind and Fire Concert a couple of years ago at fair park, not a hint, either. I suppose if you seek out those types of venues, you will find it, but I don't think it is as prevalent as was suggested. Just saying...

Old 06-13-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Nope, never been to a house party like that, the people I party with are more concerned with health and fitness, and are not pot heads. Then there are the parties that are with the saints and angels, and no, it doesn't happen either.

That really puts a damper on the evening. I have been to Jazz under the Stars in downtown Dallas, several times, and it is just not acceptable there. I do remember a Kansas concert in Dallas back in the early 80's where you could smell pot wafting through the concert hall. However, at places like House of Blues, not even a hint. Earth Wind and Fire Concert a couple of years ago at fair park, not a hint, either. I suppose if you seek out those types of venues, you will find it, but I don't think it is as prevalent as was suggested. Just saying...
I know I wasn't seeking out anything. Like I said, it happens. I'm older and a lot more selective with the people I hang out with, so I really don't see that sort of thing anymore. But in my younger days, particularly back during college, I were more likely to see that sort of partying going on.

I guess you just run in different circles.

Besides, that was New Orleans I was talking about. While it isn't exactly Sodom and Gomorrah as so many want to portray it, they do know how to let their hair down way more than Dallas- a city where it's not too hard to reveal it's uptight, puritanical, and Baptist roots.

Jazzfest in New Orleans and the Jazz Under The Stars in Dallas are NOT the same type of event. Bad comparison. Jazzfest has music from all types of genres. Lenny was on stage performing the last year I went. I'm a huge fan of his and could tell that something was "off" about that performance compared to other ones I've seen him do.

I'd doubt the crowd that was going to see Earth, Wind, and Fire would be "partying" anyhow. They have to get home in time to watch Matlock and get to bed. I'm kidding of course, I grew up listening to them myself.

Old 06-13-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
We can stop with the racism crap. There are racists in every single state of this country. It's not a south thing or a north thing or a black thing or a white thing. There are racists everywhere. In fact, I had more racist b.s. slung at me when I lived in So. Cal in 4 years than I have in Texas in 20.
Agreed I grew up in SoCal too, so Im all too aware that it's not the utopia that so many portray it to be.

Old 06-13-2010, 03:47 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,625,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
5. Isolated both culturally and geographically- Geographically, it's not located near any fun cities that you would aspire to travel to unless you consider Austin and Houston fun cities. Culturally, everyone you meet is from Texas. When I went out, almost everyone either went to some college in Texas or Oklahoma and were members of the same fraternity or sorrority (that's another Texas thing) A lot of people attended the same high school and knew each other from high school. It's very cliquish. It can be difficult to meet people if you are an outsider with no connections to Dallas.
Not gonna criticize or call you a hater, but I will say my experience has not been like that. I moved here from a little town in Mississippi and didn't know anyone except my aunt and uncle when I moved. I have been in the fitness industry and sales industry. It seems like about 1 out of every 5 people I have met has been someone from out of state who moved here for work. Lots of people from California, a good number from the northeast, and also seems like a lot from Ohio and Michigan as well. As for what you said about the people who were born and raised here, you are pretty much dead on about the connections to high schools, colleges, frats/sorority etc. That being said, it doesn't seem to be all that difficult to get to know people with that background, but it depends on where you are in the metroplex. Dallas and Collin counties seem more cliquish than Tarrant IMHO. Just my opinion.

Old 06-13-2010, 04:41 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,812,279 times
Quote:
I know I wasn't seeking out anything. Like I said, it happens. I'm older and a lot more selective with the people I hang out with, so I really don't see that sort of thing anymore.
That's exactly what I was saying in regard to the comment from LAnative10. I am in several different circles, including musicians, that it is just not as prevalent and LAnative10 seems to want to make it out to be. Here is the quote I responded to from LAnative10:

Quote:
But Dallas' culture is pretentious. Most people here are not, but the culture is to a degree. Another con I would say is that the drug culture here is HUGE! Ive never partied in a place where people are so nuts about X and Cocaine. Even in places you wouldnt expect it. Coming from someone from LA, that says alot.
To which I commented that maybe it's time to rethink where to party.

Quote:
But in my younger days, particularly back during college, I were more likely to see that sort of partying going on.
I can understand that, but LAnative10 was talking about present day.

Quote:
I guess you just run in different circles.

Besides, that was New Orleans I was talking about. While it isn't exactly Sodom and Gomorrah as so many want to portray it, they do know how to let their hair down way more than Dallas- a city where it's not too hard to reveal it's uptight, puritanical, and Baptist roots.
And that is where we are really talking about, in Dallas, not New Orleans. In the context of Dallas, LAnative10 was, exagerating. After all, Dallas has such an "uptight, puritanical, and Baptist roots." Right?

Quote:
Jazzfest in New Orleans and the Jazz Under The Stars in Dallas are NOT the same type of event. Bad comparison. Jazzfest has music from all types of genres. Lenny was on stage performing the last year I went. I'm a huge fan of his and could tell that something was "off" about that performance compared to other ones I've seen him do.
Exactly! I was illustrating the disparity of the "jazz" events and the free-flowing of drugs in New Orleans vs. Dallas, inspite of LANative's assessment of Dallas.

Remember, LAnative10 said, "Another con I would say is that the drug culture here is HUGE! Ive never partied in a place where people are so nuts about X and Cocaine. Even in places you wouldnt expect it." The strongest "drug" at Jazz under the stars is wine.

Quote:
I'd doubt the crowd that was going to see Earth, Wind, and Fire would be "partying" anyhow. They have to get home in time to watch Matlock and get to bed. I'm kidding of course, I grew up listening to them myself.
Indeed, there were no kids there, age range was probably 30s and 40s. But you should have seen us in the hospitality room before the concert, we were partying, imbibing, dancing, and generally enjoying ourselves.

Old 06-13-2010, 05:04 PM

Quote:
That's exactly what I was saying in regard to the comment from LAnative10. I am in several different circles, including musicians, that it is just not as prevalent and LAnative10 seems to want to make it out to be. Here is the quote I responded to from LAnative10:

To which I commented that maybe it's time to rethink where to party.

I can understand that, but LAnative10 was talking about present day.

And that is where we are really talking about, in Dallas, not New Orleans. In the context of Dallas, LAnative10 was, exagerating. After all, Dallas has such an "uptight, puritanical, and Baptist roots." Right?

Exactly! I was illustrating the disparity of the "jazz" events and the free-flowing of drugs in New Orleans vs. Dallas, inspite of LANative's assessment of Dallas.

Remember, LAnative10 said, "Another con I would say is that the drug culture here is HUGE! Ive never partied in a place where people are so nuts about X and Cocaine. Even in places you wouldnt expect it." The strongest "drug" at Jazz under the stars is wine.

Indeed, there were no kids there, age range was probably 30s and 40s. But you should have seen us in the hospitality room before the concert, we were partying, imbibing, dancing, and generally enjoying ourselves.
Um, ok. I see you're just using my counterpoints in some sort of an attempt to discredit another poster. You're acting as if Dallas doesn't have a lot of drugs in the party scene here jus because of your personal experiences. Drug culture is pretty prevalent in Dallas. Ecstacy got a huge start in the Dallas party scene way back in the 80's, the high schools in Plano had drug issues that received all kinds of unwanted national attention, etc. But if you insist on continuing to live in your own bubble and pretend that it doesn't exist, that's fine. LANative certainly isn't the first person to notice it.

BTW, I found out the hard way how big the swingers scene is in DFW too. Matter of fact, it contributed to my divorce (you'd think that a man would tell you these sort of things during the courting process), but let me guess, you aren't into that sor of thing, so therefore it isn't that big of a scene to you?

Last edited by Overcooked_Oatmeal; 06-13-2010 at 05:55 PM..

Old 06-13-2010, 05:10 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,726,508 times
Quote:
Um, ok. I see you're just using my counterpoints in some sort of an attempt to discredit another poster. You're acting as if Dallas doesn't hav a lot of drugs in the party scene here jus because of your personal experiences. Drug culture is pretty prevalent in Dallas. Ecstacy got a huge start in the Dallas party scene way back in the 80's, the high schools in Plano had drug issues that received all kinds of unwanted national attention, etc. But if you insist on continuing to live in your own bubble and pretend that it doesn't exist, that's fine. LANative certainly isn't the first person to notice it.
No Im not. I dont do drugs, but at alot of the places I go, they seem to be there. Im a big raver and I dont act shocked that most of the house is rolling, freebasing, or whatever. I expect that there. However, I see alot of the same stuff in places Uptown and Lower Greenville. I wouldnt have expected that there.

Drug culture is big here even if certain people dont want to acknowledge it. Should this surprise us as Dallas is the city that made Ecstacy big, that invented Cheese, and is one of the nations largest Meth producers? Does that mean I think any less of Dallas? Of course not. Drugs are everywhere.

Im not going to party at another club just because there are alot at the one Im at on drugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas