Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2021, 09:17 AM

6,514 posts, read 8,395,261 times

Advertisements

For what its worth, Xenia is a town encapsulated in a region, like a lot of towns in the Dayton/Cincinnati area and the Akron/Cleveland area. Small towns in these regions do not need a proper Downtown, because they're always twenty minutes away from some other downtown. And those other downtowns are not necessarily those of Dayton/Cincinnati or Akron/Cleveland. When you have regions with like 50 incorporated areas who cares about downtown.

I enjoyed Xenia. I would never live there again because of the tornadoes, but it had a nice vibe to it. For what its worth I rarely went into Dayton when I lived there.

I enjoyed Dayton as well when I lived there but it was poor af. Despite the nice people and I actually didn't have any issues with the crime there, there was a post-industrial, desolate, "God does not live here anymore" vibe to it. Actually felt like a miniature Detroit, which some days was cool and other days just outright depressing. This was early 2000s.

Ohio does have some super/mega/suburban sprawl areas like Georgia, Virginia, California, etc. but people would never know that unless they lived there. The areas aren't on the same level, but that may be a good thing. Sometimes I miss those short commutes in Dayton. Millions of people is not always a good thing.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2021, 01:18 AM

13,577 posts, read 9,594,825 times
Wow! 8 years after my posting in this thread, and 11 years after the thread began, renewal. Immortality?

Not long ago, I finally left the region. It wasn't a breathtakingly sad departure. The hypothetical "green shoots" of revitalization, new construction, or renewal of whatever sort, that were discussed 6-11 years ago in this thread, have not materialized. Perhaps we're due for another cycle of optimism, but if so, it's going to be from a distance. Well, that's not entirely true... there has been construction near the Wal-Mart/Lowes area where the 35 and branches off from the "business" artery heading into Xenia-proper. Somewhat.

Beyond Xenia itself, large-scale residential construction that was burgeoning in the early 2000s, and which ceased in 2007, never did restart. 20 years ago, there was ample reason to believe that Beavercreek would keep expanding eastward, through Alpha, through Xenia Township and eventually joining Xenia City. In 2010-2013, then wading through the wreckage left by the Great Recession, there was still smattering of belief, that the Ryans and Rylands and Toll Brothers would start hammering again. They have not.

Here's wishing the best, to everyone who's still in the area.

Old 05-07-2021, 07:50 PM

3 posts, read 2,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Wow! 8 years after my posting in this thread, and 11 years after the thread began, renewal. Immortality?

Not long ago, I finally left the region. It wasn't a breathtakingly sad departure. The hypothetical "green shoots" of revitalization, new construction, or renewal of whatever sort, that were discussed 6-11 years ago in this thread, have not materialized. Perhaps we're due for another cycle of optimism, but if so, it's going to be from a distance. Well, that's not entirely true... there has been construction near the Wal-Mart/Lowes area where the 35 and branches off from the "business" artery heading into Xenia-proper. Somewhat.

Beyond Xenia itself, large-scale residential construction that was burgeoning in the early 2000s, and which ceased in 2007, never did restart. 20 years ago, there was ample reason to believe that Beavercreek would keep expanding eastward, through Alpha, through Xenia Township and eventually joining Xenia City. In 2010-2013, then wading through the wreckage left by the Great Recession, there was still smattering of belief, that the Ryans and Rylands and Toll Brothers would start hammering again. They have not.

What's it feel like to be an internet cicada?

I think Xenia was gutted like a fish back in '74. Anything that made it unique and beautiful was blown away. Of course, nobody could have anticipated retail stores moving to virtual storefronts and the like of Amazon coming around. Yet, I still think the tornado was giving the city a huge hint....DO SOMETHING with the property in the middle of the town that will become a gathering place.

As far as the WalMart and Lowes out off of 35...it seems to have become an island away from Xenia. Maybe that was on purpose with WalMart planners?

Anyway, hope to see you in another 8 years!

Old 05-10-2021, 08:57 AM

2,107 posts, read 5,058,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post

Obviously you don't see the real estate crunch that currently has encompassed residential resale and new construction in much of Dayton's eastern and southern suburbs. They cannot seem to get developments and homes built quick enough at the moment. The result is homes worth 300-310K a year ago are now selling at 340-350K. Is there likely a bubble? Probably. But that is a national things and not the same type of bubble as 2008. The market has turned around here, despite your skepticism, over the last 3-5 years. New homes are being built again, even (shock!) in Xenia's city limits. See Ryan's development at Sterling Green.

If anything, the housing crunch and quickly rising prices for new and resale homes in Beavercreek or Bellbrook will ultimately benefit Fairborn and Xenia. New developments off Trebein or Lower Bellbrook are indicative of that supposedly never restarted new construction. Beavercreek is again fighting new development in the township. They are currently building on part of the Siebenthaler property as well as across from the Russ Center on Indian Ripple and want to build new homes between Stonehill Village and the wetlands. Plus new development is set to begin at Shakertown and North Alpha Bellbrook. Why ODOT only bothered with a superstreet design at Factory, Orchard and US 35 beats me. With all the development there and to the east, that road design is going to be obsolete by the time it is completed if not soon after. Beavercreek, Xenia and Fairborn also just passed levy and/or bond issues for operations and/or new buildings. So obviously people see a need for educational changes and investments as well. Got to update those buildings and put the new kids somewhere I guess?

I know you have never been a fan of the area, and I wish you the best in finding your happy home, wherever that may be. But don't come here spouting half-truths. Yes, the recession hit the area hard; no it has turned a corner and is working through recovery the last 3-5 years. That's true of both Dayton itself, such as downtown and the Water Street District, as well as its suburbs.

Old 05-10-2021, 09:49 AM

19,924 posts, read 8,819,714 times
I remember the day after the tornado in Xenia in 74 seeing train cars loaded with coal turned upside down. Also a gas station that was totally gone except for the concrete step up to enter the station.

Old 05-11-2021, 12:54 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,291,258 times
The peasant never was pleasant. Glad to see a dead forum back in business nevertheless

Old 05-11-2021, 11:00 PM

7,050 posts, read 8,870,257 times
I remember going through Xenia after the tornado and the one thing that stood out was the Adair furniture store being totally wrecked. It was definitely an event that changed the town with most people not old enough to remember what things used to look like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton