Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 01:51 PM

915 posts, read 1,504,049 times

Advertisements

My husband is planning to take my son to the Air Force Museum for a day at the end of the August.

I've already been to the museum and I think the idea of a father/son outing is great.

We are planning on staying in downtown because (presumably) I won't need a car to get around (he'd take it and park at the museum) and public transit will be available, if needed.

As a result, I'd like to know what are the things that I absolutely should try to do/see, given that I only have a day to spend in the area.

Any good museums? Outdoor events/parks? Restaurants? Spas? Something off-the-beaten track/a hidden gem that someone from outside Dayton must see? What would be the quintessential "I can only do this in Dayton" experience?

Thanks for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 07:29 PM

14,668 posts, read 14,629,286 times
The Wright-Dunbar area is interesting; it's a historical district just west of downtown across the Miami River where you can visit the Wright Brothers' original bicycle shop and Paul Dunbar's boyhood home in the same general neighborhood off W.3rd St. Otherwise there's the Oregon District on E.5th which has nice bars & restaurants, and the area around Brown Street which features the U of Dayton and Woodland Cemetery (Wright Bros, Dunbar, Erma Bombeck, et al). The Dayton Art Institute is also above average for a city its size.

Old 07-20-2013, 07:41 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,081,326 times
Depending on what day of the week you are staying through, there is the 2nd Street Market at the corner of Webster and 2nd.

It is a bit of a walk, but certainly doable. And as you said, you can always jump on an RTA bus if needed.

Old 07-20-2013, 09:39 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,156,309 times
Adding to the other suggestions...

The Oregon District has a lot of interesting sights and shops. It's only a couple blocks from the Crowne Plaza, and not much further from the Dayton Grand. Interesting sites there include the Neon independent theatre, a very large record shop, an awesome used book store (at least I think, but I'm a book nerd). Also has some adult shop, which get raves from some and rants from others. I kinda think it adds to the funky culture of the neighborhood, but maybe that's just me.

Once you are done there, take a walk up Patterson (the "canal walk" they just built). every block has a signpost detailing some history of the area, life along the canal, etc. even if you aren't much for history, it's a nice, well landscaped walk to Riverscape, which I would consider to be a must-see. especially since you specifically mentioned outdoor recreation. It's beautifully landscaped, provides great views of the city, has an "inventors walk" which tells about the many things invented here (I guarantee some will surprise you!) also Riverscape offers bike rentals, and there are a lot of great bike paths which you can go on. You might be able to bike all the way to the Air Force museum, but I'm not sure...

Before you get there though, Mendelsons is worth a stop if you have some time to kill. You might not want anything from there, but is a very unique (and very large) shop that sells just about everything, it seems. Except clothes and books haha. If you like baseball, the Dayton Dragons (our minor-league team) is always a good time. Just be prepared to sit on the lawn because all the games are sold out!

If you are downtown at lunch time, check out courthouse square. Food trucks will park there, and it's a festival atmosphere. Definitely worth it.

As far as museums go, the Dayton Institute of Art, the Peace Museum, and the Packard museum are within relatively easy walking distance of the downtown hotels. Carrion Park, the Boonshoft childrens museum, and Wright/Dunbar are all along the bike trails and would make good destinations if you rent a bike at Riverscape. If you have kids, I would consider both the art institute and the Boonshoft must-sees. Carrion Park has some cool Wright Bros stuff if you want to cheč that out and it's the launchpoint to Hawthorne Hill, the Wright Bros' mansion.

There's also a lot more specific sites scattered throughout the valley you might want to see depending on your interests. Like Waco airplanes by Troy, hippie culture in Yellow Springs, Native American stuff at Sunwatch, Foy'a and Scene 75 are great for kids, mountain biking and kayaking east of town, etc. I guarantee you won't be bored haha.

Anyways, I hope you enjoy your time in Dayton!

Old 07-20-2013, 09:41 PM

Re-reading, I should probably emphasize that Foys is a quinessential "you can only see this in Dayton" experience.....

Old 07-21-2013, 05:04 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,750,870 times
Best make that Carillon Park

Park page: Dayton History

Main page: http://www.daytonhistory.org/

although at times I suppose they do carri-on some.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:58 AM

^My bad, CP. Most of my city-data posts I do from my Iphone, so either autocorrect changed it to that or I just missed a few letters when I was pecking away at that impossibly small keyboard.

Anyways, thanks for posting links! OP, here are links to the other activities I mentioned earlier:

Downtown Dayton Partnership
Also a handy tool for finding everything in downtown: Downtown Dayton Partnership

Dayton Art Institute |
Home :: RiverScape MetroPark
Mendelson Electronics Company Inc. / Mendelsons Liquidation Outlet
https://www.facebook.com/DaytonFoodTrucks
Dayton International Peace Museum

Foys Halloween Store (it's actually not as creepy as the website makes it look....)

MoMBA :: Huffman MetroPark
Scene 75
The Neon in Dayton, Ohio
The Official Site of The Dayton Dragons | daytondragons.com Homepage

Also forgot to mention the arts scene. Dayton has many performance venues, far more than a town this size has on average. So if that's your thing, Futurefest is coming to town soon, and there's always something at the 2-3 main theaters downtown. We also have some smaller companies scattered throughout town, so they might be worth checking out.

Unfortunately, though, I don't know that much about the arts. Those that I know don't like to go to plays/musicals/operas/orchestras/etc., so I don't go either haha.

Old 07-22-2013, 06:00 AM

What the name of the awesome used book store (I'm a book nerd too!)......

Old 07-22-2013, 06:03 AM

I agree, the last time we were in Dayton, I took my kid to the children's museum and it was really cool. This trip - he'll be hanging out w/dad at the airplane museum.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopygirlmi View Post
What the name of the awesome used book store (I'm a book nerd too!)......
I drove by it on my way in to Sinclair today... it is called Bonnett's!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
View detailed profiles of: