Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2007, 12:33 PM
gjs gjs started this thread

56 posts, read 178,676 times

Advertisements

I may take a job in the Dayton area, I checked out dayton on the net and found the city not so appealing. I know there are areas around Dayton that have nice communities but could use a little help with finding them.
I'm looking for housing under 150k ( 3 br. 2 ba. ) nice neighborhood with tree lined streets or just nice neighborhood in general, good schools,a few nice parks with kids in mind, biking trails,pool,picnic areas,play ground,etc.... SAFE area, shopping or mall 15 or so minuets away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 01:18 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,479,297 times
Hi GJS! Many of the suburbs of Dayton would probably be to your liking. Take a look at some of the other threads that HIGirl started; she's done a really good job of looking at our area. Just off the top of my head; Tipp City, Huber Heights, Beavercreek, Kettering, Fairborn, Riverside, Centerville/Washington Twp (among others) might be a good fit for you. Ask away with any specific questions.

Old 10-08-2007, 03:51 PM

51 posts, read 174,695 times
Vandalia, Englewood & Troy would also fit in the list above. Dayton for the most part (suburbs that is) is rather low key. Not tons of nightlife or anything like that. But certainly a good place to raise a family.

Most of the mentioned communities have great parks and schools. Best of luck with your search.

Old 10-08-2007, 07:01 PM

1 posts, read 4,466 times
I would suggest Oakwood. They have all the items you are looking for: Excellent schools (204 in the nation according to Newsweek), wooded area near the city, parks and bike paths, 15 mins from "The Greene" which is a new outdoor mall, low-crime but still only 15 mins from downtown. Every thing is within walking distance including schools, shopping, groceries. Downside is higher than average taxes, some people consider it a little snooty. I moved here from out of state and am moving again so I happen to be selling a house like you are looking for (3 bed, 2 ba) in the area for $150k so there's plenty to find in your range in that area.

Most of the stuff here is pretty accurate if you want an idea of what you'd be getting into.

Oakwood, Montgomery County, Ohio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Good Luck!

Old 10-08-2007, 07:53 PM
gjs gjs started this thread

56 posts, read 178,676 times
Thanks for all the replies concerning the Dayton areas, I will check into all the mentioned towns that you all gave me. Also I noticed that the real estate taxes vary from town to town even if they are close in distance to the other, 1.1% to 1.6%
Personally I think anything above 1.0% is high, my Real estate taxes are 0.7% in Virginia. Are there any other taxes that I should be aware of?

Old 10-14-2007, 04:07 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,725,290 times
Not sure about the real estate taxes, but wanted to chime in about Tipp City, Troy, Vandalia are nice areas north of Dayton. We moved here from Michigan and have lived in Tipp City for 14 years now; we love it. Good luck!
I think the overall cost of living here is very reasonable.

Old 10-14-2007, 08:47 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,058,987 times
While I can't give you percentages on the real estate taxes between cities, I can tell you that they can be a little high in the nicer communities. But don't let that be a let down, since most everthing else here in the cost of living category is cheaper than most of Virginia. An obvious example is housing costs.

As far as a community that you described, I'd recommend all the above. But I'll point out Beavercreek in detail. I've lived here 18 years and have enjoyed most of it. While some people (older residents) dislike the growth, most people are welcomed as many are military transfers, some like myself coming from NoVA. There are plenty of 3bd 2ba brick ranches on the market, most in older neighborhoods with mature trees and larger lots. These mainly range in the 140-170K range for the community. One neighborhood that might fit your bill is Woodhaven.

There are numerous parks throughout the city, including a YMCA with indoor pools, a lake, walking trails, playground, shelters, and tennis courts. The schools rank up there in the highest state category. If you push your kids to excell, there are plenty of honors and gifted programs throughtout K-12. Shopping is also another thing Beavercreek is well known for in the area. Both the Fairfield Commons Mall and The Greene reside in Beavercreek making almost any store no more than a 15 minute drive in traffic.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:51 PM

1 posts, read 2,419 times
Default Tax Rates Oakwood .0275, Kettering and others .025

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightflyer View Post
While I can't give you percentages on the real estate taxes between cities, I can tell you that they can be a little high in the nicer communities. But don't let that be a let down, since most everthing else here in the cost of living category is cheaper than most of Virginia. An obvious example is housing costs.

As far as a community that you described, I'd recommend all the above. But I'll point out Beavercreek in detail. I've lived here 18 years and have enjoyed most of it. While some people (older residents) dislike the growth, most people are welcomed as many are military transfers, some like myself coming from NoVA. There are plenty of 3bd 2ba brick ranches on the market, most in older neighborhoods with mature trees and larger lots. These mainly range in the 140-170K range for the community. One neighborhood that might fit your bill is Woodhaven.

There are numerous parks throughout the city, including a YMCA with indoor pools, a lake, walking trails, playground, shelters, and tennis courts. The schools rank up there in the highest state category. If you push your kids to excell, there are plenty of honors and gifted programs throughtout K-12. Shopping is also another thing Beavercreek is well known for in the area. Both the Fairfield Commons Mall and The Greene reside in Beavercreek making almost any store no more than a 15 minute drive in traffic.
Oakwood is the best! Police everywhere and friendly to all. Safe! Trouble stays AWAY from Oakwood! Prop tax here in Oakwood is .0275 and most surrounding cities are at .025. But you get great homes at great prices! I own two places in CA where my property taxes are only .0125, under half they are here. But my places are wayyyy more than double the cost of my places here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton