Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2013, 10:11 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,848,091 times

Advertisements

Square One Expanding Downtown, Adding Call Center
Quote:
Square One Salon and Spa is expanding its downtown’s Dayton location. The business, at 506 E. Third St. in The Cannery, is renovating a 2,000-square-foot space adjacent to its current location and plans to open the expansion in March.

The project will create a centralized call center to serve its four locations in downtown, Centerville, New Albany and Columbus. The call center will be built with eight stations where customer service staff will make clients’ appointments, answer questions and let them know about additional services.

The company is hiring a dozen workers for the call center opens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 09:59 AM

New Downtown Restaurant Opens Wednesday
Quote:
The new downtown Dayton restaurant called Serendipity Bistro is scheduled to open Wednesday, Jan. 23 at 25 S. St. Clair St. in the St. Clair Lofts, co-owner James Harris said this morning.

Starting Wednesday through the end of the week, Serendipity Bistro will open at 7 a.m., serving muffins, pastries and coffee, and will serve lunch through 2:30 p.m., Harris said. The lunch menu includes gourmet pizzas (including the signature pizza topped with spinach, feta, olives and sun-dried tomatoes), salads such as chicken-walnut salad, and sandwiches.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:09 AM

4,479 posts, read 6,232,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
I was hoping they would do more than serve breakfast and lunch. Mainly because I was hoping to see a demographic shift away from office workers with more people living downtown.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:57 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,172,886 times
^
No market for after-hours dining downtown, hence no restaurants.

@@@@

Craft beer place opening in a long-closed storefront.

http://mostmetro.com/dayton-dining/t...and-wayne.html

Old 01-22-2013, 11:30 AM

Recap of economic development activity & future direction via an interview, 20 Jan 2013:

Coalitions Mission...

"I would say one of our big projects has been UAVs (Unmanned Aerial Vehicles). You’re aware that the FAA is going to pick six sites around the country where UAVs can be tested, and they’re looking at all the issues — privacy, safety and so on. We expect an RFP (request for proposal) in the next few months that will allow agencies to submit a plan to be one of the six test sites, and we are working hand in hand with the state as their lead agency on this. We started working on this in 2007, ’08, and we’re ready. Regardless of whether we’re chosen, we’re planning a parallel path, working with the Air Force Research Laboratory....

"Q: Is it hard to keep the regional thinking and spirit going with the groups and officials you work with?

"A: Not really, because our areas of focus are very clear, and are areas that affect broad sectors. The four industries we focus our efforts on are: aerospace systems and defense; advanced materials and advanced manufacturing; IT and advanced data management; bio sciences, health care and human sciences."

Old 01-22-2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
^
No market for after-hours dining downtown, hence no restaurants.

@@@@

Craft beer place opening in a long-closed storefront.

The Barrel House – Coming Soon To Third And Wayne | Dayton Most Metro
Cool. I'm thinking this place may do well, since there are a lot of people relative to The Cannery.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:47 AM

^
It's actually a good location...the concept here is more of the 'beer store' vs tavern. Something new to town.

A bit of historical trivia is that that block (not that building, perhaps) was the original location of Larry Flynts Hustler strip club (his first, but I think he relocated to Cols).

Dayton doesn't claim him, but ole Larry was one of those briar transplants and worked at Frigdaire at Moraine, but preferred working in the, er, entertainment & hospitality biz to working on the assembly line.

Back before that even, there was an Italian bakery & gelato place on that block that served the Italian community that was scattered just east of downtown.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:31 PM

Quote:
^
It's actually a good location...the concept here is more of the 'beer store' vs tavern. Something new to town.

A bit of historical trivia is that that block (not that building, perhaps) was the original location of Larry Flynts Hustler strip club (his first, but I think he relocated to Cols).

Dayton doesn't claim him, but ole Larry was one of those briar transplants and worked at Frigdaire at Moraine, but preferred working in the, er, entertainment & hospitality biz to working on the assembly line.

Back before that even, there was an Italian bakery & gelato place on that block that served the Italian community that was scattered just east of downtown.
I had no idea. Appreciate the 411. Got a chuckle out of it.

Old 01-22-2013, 01:16 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,751,750 times
Quote:
^

Mr. Flynt, if I recall correctly, had several establishments before heading to Columbus. ???? Across from McCook Field, out on West Third, up on North Main.... I only have a vague noton of one in the East End. Seems like none of them were hugely successful, but I don't really know.

There is a biography of him in print form (book) that I think he wrote, and also something by his daughter.

Ahem.... It's been many years since I explored the matter, but I'm sort of under the impression his first really estabished place was the one in Old North Dayton, but I could very easily be wrong about that and am not inclined to go look it up (or read the books again).

Old 01-23-2013, 08:48 AM

Law Firm Plans To Expand Downtown, Hiring Five
Quote:
Stephen Herbert, partner in charge of the Dayton office of Coolidge Wall, said the firm has been looking to expand its office for a while, and is hoping to stay downtown, where it has been located since it was founded.

Herbert said the law firm will be leasing about 2,000 square feet of additional space in the building to make room for an expected five new hires this year. The renovations would include expanding meeting and conference rooms, rearranging offices and updating the space. Herbert said the landlord also is planning to some external improvements to the building.

Herbert said staying downtown is a priority for the firm.
Fairborn Company Hiring 150; Growing To 600 Employees
Quote:
A customer call company in Fairborn plans to hire 150 new permanent full-time employees [by March 1] in the coming months to meet increased demand for its services, according to a company manager.

The company is looking for “highly motivated” people to fill the 150 customer service positions, and paid training is available, Lewis said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton