Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2014, 01:45 PM

133 posts, read 195,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
I guess I didn't make my point clear. Run the exact same thing they are proposing, just not all of the time. You don't need to run it at hours where it is proven it won't be needed. Also, why have them running the entire time? Have them parked in spots around the downtown area where they can go pick people up within a minute or two. Or have a few parked and a few running. I don't see how that would cost the same as running them all of the time. I guess I just don't see the purpose of running them all of the time when they will barely be used most of the hours they are in service.
I understand your point. What you are purposing is everyone having personal drivers. If you have someone sitting in a car waiting to pick someone up, you are paying that person to sit there. It is for all intensive purposes running all the time. You would have to have a fleet of cars devoted to driving people around picking them up and dropping them off at set destinations for free? I'm not saying it wouldn't be popular, it would be wildly popular, but, it is completely impractical. Heck I would use it to go pick pizza up instead of paying for a delivery charge.

No one has any idea the hours it would be needed. The city isn't thinking small with this idea (finally). It would be a true asset or business and residents. Thinking it is only going to be used so people can go party on the weekend is short sighted.

Example - Someone who works for Premier Health Downtown and lives in South Park. Hop on at 7 for work at 7:30, catch it for a meeting at MVH at 10:30, back on it for lunch at Cocos at 1, back on after lunch at 2:15, at 5 take it to Water Street and grab a drink at Proto Build Bar, back on it at 6 to head home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2014, 02:00 PM

1,328 posts, read 1,446,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyMac1407 View Post
I understand your point. What you are purposing is everyone having personal drivers. If you have someone sitting in a car waiting to pick someone up, you are paying that person to sit there. It is for all intensive purposes running all the time. You would have to have a fleet of cars devoted to driving people around picking them up and dropping them off at set destinations for free? I'm not saying it wouldn't be popular, it would be wildly popular, but, it is completely impractical. Heck I would use it to go pick pizza up instead of paying for a delivery charge.

No one has any idea the hours it would be needed. The city isn't thinking small with this idea (finally). It would be a true asset or business and residents. Thinking it is only going to be used so people can go party on the weekend is short sighted.

Example - Someone who works for Premier Health Downtown and lives in South Park. Hop on at 7 for work at 7:30, catch it for a meeting at MVH at 10:30, back on it for lunch at Cocos at 1, back on after lunch at 2:15, at 5 take it to Water Street and grab a drink at Proto Build Bar, back on it at 6 to head home.
No, that isn't what I am saying at all. You use the SAME vehicles you would use in their proposed system. You just don't have them RUNNING (wasting gas) all of the time. That is just stupid. All they would be doing is driving around and not picking anyone up for hours. You have them run during the right hours and then have a few sitting around the downtown area all of the time available if someone wants a ride somewhere.

What you are proposing would work if we had a big downtown or more people who worked downtown lived near downtown. I just don't think this is true and don't think it would work. At least not for another 10 or so years.

Let's just say you and I disagree on how it should be implemented and how people would use it.

Old 12-02-2014, 04:04 PM

BTW, I am not saying it isn't a good idea. I just don't think it will work. At least not at first. Maybe that is something they should go to if something smaller works first.

Old 12-02-2014, 05:10 PM

133 posts, read 195,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
No, that isn't what I am saying at all. You use the SAME vehicles you would use in their proposed system. You just don't have them RUNNING (wasting gas) all of the time. That is just stupid. All they would be doing is driving around and not picking anyone up for hours. You have them run during the right hours and then have a few sitting around the downtown area all of the time available if someone wants a ride somewhere.

What you are proposing would work if we had a big downtown or more people who worked downtown lived near downtown. I just don't think this is true and don't think it would work. At least not for another 10 or so years.

Let's just say you and I disagree on how it should be implemented and how people would use it.
So you would have cars running loops or buses making individual pickups?

I understand you don't think it would work. It's a bold idea. Something this city has lacked for years. People and businesses don't just move on a whim and for no reason. You have to give them a reason to. Bold big ideas are a good start. The city should be done with small half cocked ideas.

Either do it or don't. Don't go half way.

Old 12-02-2014, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyMac1407 View Post
So you would have cars running loops or buses making individual pickups?

I understand you don't think it would work. It's a bold idea. Something this city has lacked for years. People and businesses don't just move on a whim and for no reason. You have to give them a reason to. Bold big ideas are a good start. The city should be done with small half cocked ideas.

Either do it or don't. Don't go half way.
No to both. I would do EXACTLY what they are proposing, but only during certain hours of the day. Then, I would have those same vehicles available to pick people/groups of people up at the other times. I just wouldn't have them driving around wasting gas when they are going to be picking up very few people. You have them out doing their routes before and after work, at lunch, etc.... You don't have them doing their routes at 10 AM. I mean, who is going to be taking advantage of that then? If someone wants to use the service to go to specific places (not to go pick up a pizza), then they can call and get taken there.

Last edited by RDriesenUD; 12-02-2014 at 07:45 PM..

Old 12-02-2014, 07:35 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,158,013 times
^Interesting debate, you guys!

I definitely see both sides here, and am more tempted to think Dayton is taking the right approach rather than the wrong one. A frequent shuttle system would be very useful to have in town, and although it may have low ridership to start I imagine it would grow as people became more aware of its presence. The big downside is the cost.

Regardless, it's not a giant, expensive streetcar system so I'm happy. Admittedly, I'd like a streetcar haha, but this seems like a realistic way to provide transportation for a relatively low sunk cost.

Old 12-02-2014, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtheftV View Post
What would be great is if they tied into the existing network of tunnels at WSU. A tunnel the whole length of the corridor with a connecting tunnel to WSU at a couple locations would make it really walkable and accessible. Stations at intervals would make it convenient to everything.

It might even be possible to get businesses to pay for some of the tunnels if they were to get an opening that they could keep open during business hours. I can see a couple ( maybe ) restaurants wanting to pay for the easy access for customers.
That would be awesome, ID! But here's what they got in the meantime:

$3.1M pedestrian bridge to link Beavercreek, Fairborn | www.mydaytondailynews.com

Looks to me like an excellent route to walk. Why? If you walk from the Boonshoft Med school straight south along the rad to Col. Glenn and cross there at the light, then there is a short boulevard which runs straight through the business park to the pedestrian bridge. From there, the path will be along the western edge of Sam's club and route caddy-corner to the mall. Overall should only be a 20-minute walk from the center of campus to the mall, according to what I could gather from Google.

Who's excited? I know I am haha.

Last edited by SWOH; 12-02-2014 at 11:12 PM..

Old 12-02-2014, 11:11 PM

908 posts, read 1,417,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHKID View Post
That would be awesome, ID! But here's what they got in the meantime:

$3.1M pedestrian bridge to link Beavercreek, Fairborn | www.mydaytondailynews.com

Looks to me like an excellent route to walk. Why? If you walk from the Boonshoft Med school straight south along the rad to Col. Glenn and cross there at the light, then there is a short boulevard which runs straight through the business park to the pedestrian bridge. From there, the path will be along the western edge of Sam's club and route caddy-corner to the mall. Overall should only be a 20-minute walk from the center of campus, according to Google.

Who's excited? I know I am haha.
This project was supposed to happen a few years ago, but somehow the funding got cut. Since it was known that it was going to happen eventually, that was why I thought the RTA into Beavercreek was unnescessary because there wasn't going to be enough demand for both.

Old 12-03-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxdtdemon View Post
This project was supposed to happen a few years ago, but somehow the funding got cut. Since it was known that it was going to happen eventually, that was why I thought the RTA into Beavercreek was unnescessary because there wasn't going to be enough demand for both.
RTA's line into Beavercreek, as far as I am aware, doesn't connect with the WSU line. I think it's separate.

And this project's goal seems to be oriented toward providing WSU students more options (like restaurants, stores, entertainment, etc) within walking distance. So now a WSU student can go enjoy a few drinks and some entertainment at the Fox and Hound for instance and safely get back home by walking. Right now that trip would require a designated driver, Uber, or bad decisions whichendanger the lives of others.

Old 12-05-2014, 01:41 PM

Caterpillar boosts Clayton site with millions in additional investments - Dayton Business Journal

Kettering Health Network buys hotel for $4.2M - Dayton Business Journal

Montgomery County to give $1M to create 524 jobs with nine projects - Dayton Business Journal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton