Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 10:41 AM

41,890 posts, read 74,952,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
It's a non-issue for me since I don't have that crushing load of debt but the problem is that a lot of law schools straight-up misrepresented their employment statistics in order to attract more people.
I'm not sure that's confined to law schools, either. But thank you for the explanation.

Quote:
That said, it's difficult for any professional to get properly paid if his or her customer base is also broke.
Tell me about it. My first career was newspaper reporter and editor.

So ... Once again, we're back to "Dayton's REAL problem": decent-paying jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 10:43 AM

4,472 posts, read 6,210,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
So ... Once again, we're back to "Dayton's REAL problem": decent-paying jobs.
Since manufacturing left that has been Dayton's real problem. And w/o jobs people leave.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:08 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,839,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
Since manufacturing left that has been Dayton's real problem. And w/o jobs people leave.
Hi TomJones123--

I'm reminded of Ross Perot warning about the "giant sucking sound" of jobs being sent to Mexico thanks to the free trade pact proposed by Bush I and signed by Clinton.

The Fall of Detroit

Quote:
`The UAW has absolutely no power because the public is against us. They think we prop up our feet and drink beer all day,'' says Trent, 49, who has worked at six factories in 31 years. ``GM tells us every day they've got a plant in Mexico that can build our engines.''

Old 10-24-2012, 08:46 AM

4,243 posts, read 7,157,721 times
Quote:
...it wouldn't have been as bad a hit if there was something else going on here. Dayton never did devleop into a corporate HQ town or signifigant --and growing in terms of both jobs & income---white collar sector that could have taken up the economic slack left by the departure of manufacturing.

This is sort of the big-picture "metro area" look. Narrowing down to the city level the problem is as much sociological as it is economic. There are other cities in the US that have fallen on hard times but they are not as trashed as Dayton is.

Old 10-26-2012, 11:43 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,839,663 times
Hi CarpathianPeasant--

Here's the list of people who just passed the bar exam in Ohio. The results were released this morning.

http://www.supremecourtofohio.gov/At...ts/7252012.pdf

See if any of them would be interested in setting up their first client.

Old 10-26-2012, 12:45 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,745,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
Hi CarpathianPeasant--

Here's the list of people who just passed the bar exam in Ohio. The results were released this morning.

http://www.supremecourtofohio.gov/At...ts/7252012.pdf

See if any of them would be interested in setting up their first client.
Looked (fast) from the first one through the N's.

Didn't see a single one that was clearly "Carpathian." Two remotely possible: one from Cincinnati and the University of Dayton and the other from Bellbrook and the University of Kentucky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton