Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 02:13 PM

18 posts, read 43,699 times

Advertisements

Have read that it is a really nice place to live. Is that still true? I am a registered nurse. Is there work for me there, or would I need to go to Dayton? What about schools, crime, etc......All opinions very welcome!

Thanks
Felicia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2012, 03:30 PM

908 posts, read 1,417,714 times
A gigantic hospital just got built in Springfield, so I would be extremely surprised if there weren't a whole bunch of openings there. Springfield has some nice historic neighborhoods, but if you are asking about the schools because you have school-aged children, you should probably live elsewhere since Springfield's school district is the fourth or fifth worst in the Dayton-Springfield MSA. Some of the southern neighborhoods of Springfield are a little more dangerous than normal, but not too much. Is there any particular size of place that you would be looking for?

Old 11-17-2012, 04:31 PM

2,194 posts, read 3,847,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma22boys View Post
Have read that it is a really nice place to live. Is that still true? I am a registered nurse. Is there work for me there, or would I need to go to Dayton? What about schools, crime, etc......All opinions very welcome!

Thanks
Felicia
Hi ma22boys--

If I had to choose between Springfield and Dayton, I'd definitely go for the latter. Premier Health Partners is on the grow in a big way. Miami Valley Hospital just finished construction of a new tower at their main campus near downtown, Miami Valley Hospital South in Centerville is a newer building too. Also, PHP just bought a high-rise building downtown and moved about a thousand workers in. Also there's a new facility opening in Jamestown (about 20 minutes east of Dayton on US-35). Other companies (CareSource comes to mind) are along for the rising tide, too.

That's off the top of my head, at any rate.

As far as schools go, the best in the area are (in no particular order), Beavercreek, Bellbrook, Centerville, Oakwood - all Dayton suburbs of one sort or another. Crime in all of those areas is not a major issue in my experience.

Plus, being in the Dayton area puts you about 45 minutes away from Cincinnati if you have some urge to get away to a big city for awhile.

Old 11-18-2012, 07:04 AM

14,673 posts, read 14,633,857 times
The north side of Springfield is nice; a lot of quiet neighborhoods with single-family homes and condos. I work at SRMC and they're definitely hiring experienced RNs; if you have questions you can message me.

Old 11-18-2012, 12:58 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,082,382 times
If Springfield is not what you are expecting quality of life wise (schools, crime, etc). There are a number of little towns and villages not too far away to consider.

Mechanicsburg, Enon, Yellow Springs, Urbana, Cedarville, etc. If you want state test scores and statistics, try Ohio Department of Education Interactive Local Report Card and search for districts and then by county. Springfield sits pretty well in the middle of Clark County. Yellow Springs and Cedarville are to the south in Greene County. Urbana and Mechanicsburg is Champaign County. Enon sits in Clark.

From my observations, Clark County has one major school district that is semi-urban (Springfield) followed by a number of surrounding, rural districts (like Northwest, Northeast, South Charelston, etc). Some of these seem to be just smatterings of farms and small hamlets with an occasional subdivision. IMO, I feel a district does better when it has a small town to rally around, like the ones I listed.

Finally, Springfield puts you about 1+/- hour from Columbus, especially the western suburbs. Dayton proper and downtown is about 30-35 minutes from Springfield without bad weather or an accident. Best route is following OH-4 via I-70. The hospital systems listed should provide a start. Mercy in Springfield and Premier Health and Kettering Health Networks.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:35 AM

4,479 posts, read 6,231,790 times
I worked in Springfield taking care of foreclosed homes for a short stint and saw all neighborhoods at one time or another. Needless to say, it's a dump for the most part. I thought it was a very depressing place. Apparently, it used to be an excellent place.

Old 11-27-2012, 02:46 PM

134 posts, read 239,187 times
My family lives out in the country a few miles west of downtown. They seem to really enjoy it. They live in a nice subdivision and would not live anywhere else. They were born in Ohio and moved here to Rural Southern Florida for many years. They hated it here and went back to Ohio 16 years ago.

Fairborn is my favorite town in the area. I was born there though so I'm biased. It is much smaller than Springfield but a nice charming town. Most of the economy revolves around WPAFB.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:06 AM

3,678 posts, read 7,212,185 times
I can tell you John Legend was born their

Old 12-07-2012, 03:10 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,751,524 times
To be honest about it, I think it might be worthwhile to post an inquiry in the Columbus room, although I'm not really sure Springfield fits there, either.

I can't think of much in Dayton that would interest anyone in Springfield, and I can't think of anything in Springfield that would interest anyone in Dayton. The two towns have media management and a few government employees in common. Columbus has much more to offer the people in Springfield and it isn't that much farther.

Old 12-07-2012, 03:13 PM

4,479 posts, read 6,231,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathianPeasant View Post
I can't think of much in Dayton that would interest anyone in Springfield, and I can't think of anything in Springfield that would interest anyone in Dayton.
Well, I disagree. Up until a few years ago Springfield was part of Dayton's MSA. For that to be the case, there would have to be significant traffic for one reason or another between the two cities. Personally, I worked there for a short stint and I lived in east Dayton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton