Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 04:47 PM

4,472 posts, read 6,192,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bam989863 View Post
I don't know what your price range is but I would definitely check out the Patterson Park neighborhood of Dayton. It sits just southeast of the intersection of Shroyer and Patterson on Dayton's south side. Very walkable, beautiful houses, and wonderful people.
Patterson Park is a nice neighborhood. It also has a high concentration of law enforcement living there, which can also translate to lower crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 08:06 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,061,280 times
If the property you are looking at is on either Spaulding, Golf, Red Oak, Tulip, or Leising, among some of their side streets, than it should be Beavercreek schools. They may be incorporated into Dayton, Kettering or Riverside (all three seem to share borders there, with the Montgomery/Greene County Line being the divider with municipal Beavercreek). You would still pay your school taxes (the portion of your overall property tax which is divided towards the district you are in) to Beavercreek and vote on their funding levies.

The biggest downside to that neighborhood is its lack of sidewalks (I think, haven't been back there in some years). Also, be aware you will pay income taxes to the local municipality you live in, as Beavercreek does not have (yet) an income tax.

It's biggest positive is the schools, lot sizes, price, and relative quiet back there. Even though it borders Dayton, it is next to Eastmont. Eastmont is an extension of Belmont, a large neighborhood that is OK to decent to fine, especially around that side of Dayton near Spaulding.

Last edited by wrightflyer; 01-14-2013 at 08:08 PM.. Reason: Wrong Street Name

Old 01-14-2013, 08:31 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,132,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
Patterson Park is a nice neighborhood. It also has a high concentration of law enforcement living there, which can also translate to lower crime.
That is true. Patterson Park would be an excellent choice, as would Kettering (which sits on its border). Also Yellow Springs, with its liberal atmosphere and good schools, would also be a logical choice.

However, after reading through your initial criteria, I think the best and most obvious option for you has been overlooked. That option would be Fairborn.

Why Fairborn?
1. Lower housing costs - you can buy a decent house for less than $100,000 in Fairborn. The house would be in a good neighborhood with lots of ethnic diversity. Here is just one example of such a house, I'm sure many others will come on the market in the near future: 33 S Maple Ave, Fairborn, OH 45324 - Zillow

2. Walkability - downtown Fairborn is walkable. Within walking distance is a town square, which contains the various Foy's attractions as well as a music store, library, eateries, park, etc. However, Fairborn is an old military town (read - It's a little rough around the edges). I'm assuming this old worn industrial style is what you were going for in your search. Street Smart Walk Score of 33 s maple ave fairborn oh 45324 (Beta) & Foys Halloween Store

3. Diversity - due to the close proximity to the base, Fairborn has many good ethnic restaurants, including Giovanni's and lots of good Asian food places (as in not your traditional Chinese food place which sources all of its menu items for Tarrytown, NY). Although I am not sure of this, I assume Fairborn's population reflects the diversity of its business base. https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&i...&ved=0CLYBELYD

4. Decent schools - although Fairborn schools are not as good as Beavercreek or Centerville, they are still solid educational institutions and far better than schools offered in Dayton, Trotwood, or Jefferson Twp. Fairborn schools are on par with the Mad River School District, which covers the city of Riverside and most likely includes the house you are considering. If that does not suffice, one great aspect of Dayton is the availability of affordable, accessible private schools. One of the primary reasons why these schools are affordable is tough competition from excellent public schools and Ohio's low cost of living. So, if "good" is not good enough, excellent schools are within easy reach. Report card ratings for area school districts | www.daytondailynews.com

5. Accessibility to the Base - Traffic to the base can be bad at peak times. After all, it is Ohio's largest single-site employer, with over 29,000 employees. With the recent closure of Ohio 444 through the base, I can't imagine the new traffic pattern (re-route OH 444 traffic onto Kauffman ave) making the situation better. For you, many of the base's gate are right in town, making the commute easy and painless.

6. Lower taxes - Greene county has a lower tax rate than Montgomery county. Not sure where to find solid info, but I bet someone on here can help me out. Regardless, this fact can be proven through Greene County's fewer public services.

Hope this helps!

Old 01-14-2013, 10:06 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,691,700 times
^ Fairborn. That town has to be the single most forgotten and utterly disregarded town around Dayton. It has NO cool factor. Almost by deliberate intent. This appeals strongly to my contrarian nature.

Plus Fairborn is a very quick drive over to Yellow Springs. It is surrounded by great shopping while not being subjected to the high taxes and property prices of Beavercreek. And is an easy drive into downtown Dayton and to points like the 2nd Street Market.

This is the best single idea in the thread for the OP, in my opinion.

(Yellow Springs real estate and anything close to Yellow Springs, including Clifton, is dumpy and overpriced.)

Last edited by Ohioan58; 01-14-2013 at 10:22 PM..

Old 01-15-2013, 12:23 AM

10 posts, read 20,303 times
Wow! Thanks guys! Yeah, i was looking at some properties in the Y.S. area that were very over priced for what they were. Especially one in particular that was $122k and a total shack! We would like to stay around the 100 mark or so. Thank you all for the great insight. It's a very cold night here in PDX brrrr 34, goodnight.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:13 AM

4,243 posts, read 7,145,586 times
Belive it or not the older parts of Fairborn are pretty neat. Though a lot of this stuff is older (WWII era and before) its in pretty good condition and this is fairly walkable low key kind of place.

Yes I know they call it "Fairboring" (or "Squareborn"), but it has its sort of "midwest eccentric" side to it...Foys ghoul shop next to the Christian bookstore....stuff like that. And there are still restaurants and a coffee shop downtown that you could walk to.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:50 AM

2,107 posts, read 5,061,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
Belive it or not the older parts of Fairborn are pretty neat. Though a lot of this stuff is older (WWII era and before) its in pretty good condition and this is fairly walkable low key kind of place.

Yes I know they call it "Fairboring" (or "Squareborn"), but it has its sort of "midwest eccentric" side to it...Foys ghoul shop next to the Christian bookstore....stuff like that. And there are still restaurants and a coffee shop downtown that you could walk to.
I like that part of Fairborn. The part of Fairborn that gets a bad rep is the parcel further down OH-444 and Kaufman Ave, especially near W. Dayton-Yellow Springs. But the areas immediately surrounding downtown and Main St. are nice and often overlooked (probably because the schools, which have been turning around). There actually is new community development a few miles east of downtown Fairborn near the I-675 exits.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:15 AM

4,243 posts, read 7,145,586 times
Quote:
I like that part of Fairborn. The part of Fairborn that gets a bad rep is the parcel further down OH-444 and Kaufman Ave, especially near W. Dayton-Yellow Springs.
Wright View, AKA "Little Kentucky". It used to be a shantytown...a real live third-world style shantytown with no sewers (people used privies) and people living in shacks and abanoned busses & streetcars, but was upgraded (with indoor plumbing and paved streets (and some replacement houses) during the 1950s.

But still pretty briar, from what I heard.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:13 AM

1,086 posts, read 2,691,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
Wright View, AKA "Little Kentucky". It used to be a shantytown...a real live third-world style shantytown with no sewers (people used privies) and people living in shacks and abanoned busses & streetcars, but was upgraded (with indoor plumbing and paved streets (and some replacement houses) during the 1950s.

But still pretty briar, from what I heard.
There was something around Fairborn called "Hebble Homes". I remember driving around there in the late 60s with my older brother and it was a bona fide shanty town. Is this it?

Oh, wait... a web search on Hebble Homes reveals this fine blog piece: http://daytonology.blogspot.com/2008...ome-front.html

This gives some recent history of Fairborn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton