Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 04:40 PM

82 posts, read 238,743 times

Advertisements

looking for any info on

1. Miamisburg -
2. Springboro -
3. Northern Warren County -

anything you can tell me is appreciated -- Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 06:56 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,174,492 times
All three are interesting places. My take will be more a geographical/historical one.

Miamisburg. This is an old river town, set in a valley. Classic main street Midwest America...sort of like Norman Rockwell or "Bedford Falls" from Its a Wonderful Life....sort of. Some of the older parts and along the river (river rats) are more blue-collar/rougher than others. Miamisburg has annexed south, and the new subdivisions to the south are ok. Seem to be middle America all the way. As come up out of the valley and you approach I-75 there is intensification of retail/service development towards the Dayton Mall, and industrial/warehouse stuff along I-75 itself.

Springboro: Cute-as-a-button country village that's become the hot suburban area for Dayton south. A lot of newer and somewhat (sometimes more than "somewhat") upscale subdivisions. Excellent Schools. A lot of congestion on the SR 73 highway from Springboro to I/75 Franklin, which is now a commercial strip with light industrial at the freeway. The new Austin Blvd intechange is helping intesifying development north of the village. SR741, witch parallels I-75, is the hot new commercial/retail corridor north of the old village.

Northern Warren County: for me this is Sprinboro, Clear Creek Township, and Wayne Township/Waynesville, and I guess Franklin. The SR 73 corridor. Heres an opinioned windshield tour, west to east, starting that the Great Miami River.

Franklin is like Miamisburg, except more blue collar and a bit redneck. Miamisburg has a nicer and more developed old-part-of-town, tho Franklin has a nicer riverfront with the big mansions facing the river. Beyond this the place is sort of depressing. A LOT of freeway development geared to industry, etc. Think 1950s/1960s strip developments and industrial parks. Tho some of this is newer than that.

Then comes Springboro, which I talked about.

Then things open up and you have more of a country feel. Lanscape is scenic as you are paralleleling a broad creek valley..Clear Creek valley...as you drive on SR 73. Westboung on SR 73 long distant views open up across the Great Miami Valley, and you might forget yr in Ohio for a minute.

A lot of minifarms/hobby estates, and scattered subdivision development. A patchwork of farms, woodlots, large lot ribbon development, and subdivisons, but still more farm/open land than suburbia.

Intersection of SR 73 and SR 48 has some minor retail/gas station stuff. This will become a hot location in the coming years as this area builds-out, but thats a long way off. SR 48 has subdivision activity on & off all the way into Lebanon, but not enough yet to alter the rural/open country feel. Lanscape north of this intersection is flat, but south it becomes more rolling as you pass the headwaterrs of Clear Creek.

Continuing east you reach Wayne Twp, which is also getting some subdivision activty, but, again, not enough to alter the feeling that you are in the country...flat to rolling landscape with farm fields and woodlots.

Then SR73 drops into the Little Miami River valley and you are in Waynesville, which is a yet another little country village, larger than Springboro, built on the hills dropping to the river. This is a big antiques/"primitives"/country crafts center, but also a lot of newer subdivisions up out of the valley to the east and south of town.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:03 AM

164 posts, read 381,961 times
We live in Miami Township near the county line - so Miamisburg address/schools, but sandwiched between Springboro, Miamisburg, and Centerville/Washington Township.

Overall, it's a great area. Convenient to both most of Dayton and Cincinnati (northern suburbs like West Chester and Mason, in particular) so that's a huge plus in my book. Although I work in Kettering, it's nice to know I could somewhat easily find a job south if the need arose - much moreso than if we were in Beavercreek, Vandalia, etc. The new Austin Blvd. exit onto I-75 really has helped with this, though all the development is turning it into a bit of a zoo at times traffic-wise.

Both school districts (Miamisburg and Springboro) are rated pretty well. We don't have kids, so I can't comment first-hand. That said, I'd have no issues sending our kids to either - and that's what we'll do eventually unless we have to relocate. There has been a bit more political drama surrounding the school board and administration in Springboro the past couple of years. Don't know how much it's affecting the classroom (if at all) but I figured I should mention that. On a different note, I feel that Miamisburg schools have done a great job financially with renovating existing buildings, keeping costs down, and not having to go as levy-crazy as some others in the area. That said, our property taxes (primarily due to schools) have increased about 20% over the past four years.

Any specific things you're curious about?

Old 03-25-2013, 08:24 AM

^
Agree about the conveniience angle....also, would you say there is less of a traffic hassle coming to/from the Austin interchange from the Miamisburg side?

Old 03-25-2013, 08:34 AM

164 posts, read 381,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
^
Agree about the conveniience angle....also, would you say there is less of a traffic hassle coming to/from the Austin interchange from the Miamisburg side?
I think that would be a fair assessment. Most of the traffic at peak times seems to be headed to/from 741 and the Yankee/Austin area.

Unfortunately, we live on the busy side...

Old 03-25-2013, 08:36 AM

82 posts, read 238,743 times
Thanks so much for the detailed comments......

It seems like Miamisburg and Springboro are pretty nice areas...
were looking to be somewhat more rural..(a couple acres would be nice....not in a development)...but close enough to a decent town for shopping/etc....were thinking maybe somewhere in northern warren county - between Lebanon and the Greene county line - -?? but were really pretty open --??

Is there natural gas available in these areas?
Is it well water...? and if so how are the wells?
anything else you can add is appreciated....

so which county is Miami and Washington Twp in?

We also are looking for the convenience of being able to utilize the nice areas of Southern Dayton as well as Northern Cinci --that is why we thought maybe between Lebanon and Green County line --- but like I said were open -- so any suggestions are appreciated --

We would really like to have a couple of acres with an outbuilding a nice home (nothing spectacular) with well water, (county water would be okay), septic, (really don't want the sewer bills), and natural gas available, schools don't matter...only for resale down the road, employment doesn't matter at this point, but do not want to be too far out from anything -- would like to be in a desirable location --

Old 03-25-2013, 10:16 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiosgreat View Post
Montgomery.

Quote:
that is why we thought maybe between Lebanon and Green County line
Between Lebanon and the Greene County line are Turtlecreek, Wayne and Massie townships, in order of increasing rural-ness.

Dunno about natural gas availability outside of Lebanon, though.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:27 AM

3,513 posts, read 5,159,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiosgreat View Post
Thanks so much for the detailed comments......

It seems like Miamisburg and Springboro are pretty nice areas...
were looking to be somewhat more rural..(a couple acres would be nice....not in a development)...but close enough to a decent town for shopping/etc....were thinking maybe somewhere in northern warren county - between Lebanon and the Greene county line - -?? but were really pretty open --??

Is there natural gas available in these areas?
Is it well water...? and if so how are the wells?
anything else you can add is appreciated....

We also are looking for the convenience of being able to utilize the nice areas of Southern Dayton as well as Northern Cinci --that is why we thought maybe between Lebanon and Green County line --- but like I said were open -- so any suggestions are appreciated --

We would really like to have a couple of acres with an outbuilding a nice home (nothing spectacular) with well water, (county water would be okay), septic, (really don't want the sewer bills), and natural gas available, schools don't matter...only for resale down the road, employment doesn't matter at this point, but do not want to be too far out from anything -- would like to be in a desirable location --
Have you looked into the Germantown area yet? It almost perfectly describes your criteria

Old 03-25-2013, 11:11 AM

Quote:

Yeah, sure, the area around Waynesville and Oregonia would work for the OP too. This area is semi-rural, but also conviently close to the city. Also the Germantown/Farmersville area mentioned upthread.

Actually this is a great area to find that few acres thats still sort of rural & open-feeling...AND be close to city/suburban shopping and employment.

@@@

Cant give you intel on utilties, but pretty sure there is water in the Waynesville area. That's a good question on the utilities. Pretty sure nearly all of North Warren has water.

Use google maps or google earth or bing maps and do seaches for "Roxanna", "Corwin", "Oregonia", "Waynesville" and turn on the satellite or birdseye view, and you'll have a better sense on how open the Little Miami River valley area is. Streetview might help too.

Last edited by Dayton Sux; 03-25-2013 at 11:26 AM..

Old 03-25-2013, 01:25 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,702,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
Cant give you intel on utilties, but pretty sure there is water in the Waynesville area. That's a good question on the utilities. Pretty sure nearly all of North Warren has water.

Use google maps or google earth or bing maps and do seaches for "Roxanna", "Corwin", "Oregonia", "Waynesville" and turn on the satellite or birdseye view, and you'll have a better sense on how open the Little Miami River valley area is. Streetview might help too.
One tip for the OP: to find out the situation for utility services, Google for "Warren County Ohio Auditor". You can freely look up property records in the county, and each of these will indicate public/county, cistern or well water. Also the presence of natural gas (or the house's reliance on oil heat, which is a no-go unless you have a heat pump.)

Waynesville and Corwin right in town (urbanized areas) have city water. I am sure that the newly developed plats around Waynesville have county water.

Years ago I looked at a small 1/2 acre house on Corwin Road (about 2 miles south of Corwin city) and it had well water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton