Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 12:25 AM

32 posts, read 81,160 times

Advertisements

I've seen some pretty reasonable apartments in the following parts of Dayton, but don't know if they're okay places (clean, safe) or not good. Overall, Dayton seems pretty affordable, so I might just have to hang out there for a day or two and talk to several rental companies, but I am curious about these areas because the pricing is great for me.

Gramont Ave Dayton, OH. 45417

Kalida Ave Dayton, OH 45424

Hampshire Rd, Dayton, OH

Rockford Ave.Dayton, Ohio 45405

Old Orchard Ave.Dayton, Ohio 45405

W. Grand Ave., Dayton, OH 45426

W.Grand Ave. Dayton, OH 45406
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 12:37 AM

1,086 posts, read 2,702,997 times
The best neighborhood in terms of crime statistics, congestion and general livability is probably the Hampshire Road Apartments, as well as the apartments nearby along Patterson Road, and the fourplexes along Shroyer Road and Shadowlawn. All of these apartments are embedded in a decent residential neighborhood near Patterson Park, close to Kettering and Oakwood, and with nothing really scary nearby.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:03 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,175,680 times
^
Agree. This is a fairly stable/safe area. I go through there quite a bit by bus.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:03 AM

Hmm. Thank you. That definitely does help me. Do you guys know anything about the following areas? Even if one is better than others, please tell me what you know about the ones that aren't so good. The properties are all cute and affordable I'm wondering if they could work and even if they're not in the absolute best areas, if they have at least some positives.

Helena Ave, Dayton, OH 45405

Greeley Avenue, Dayton, OH 45424

Alpine Way, Dayton, OH 45406

Old 04-30-2013, 08:34 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,753,089 times
Rockford, Old Orchard, Grand and Helena are all Five Oaks or nearby. Some people hope it's okay. Some, including the police, may not agree. Gramont, if you are near the church-school (about 100 block), may be okay especially if you are black.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:22 AM

1,086 posts, read 2,702,997 times
I'll repeat the recommendation for the Patterson Road area. It's the most stable, crime free part of Dayton. That area is almost suburban, since it borders Oakwood and Kettering. Five Oaks puts you in the middle of a generally declining area and you would have much more legitimate concern for your personal safety than in Patterson Park.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:41 AM

430 posts, read 594,139 times
As someone who actually lives in Five Oaks, there's a few bad parts (mainly the border of Santa Clara and near Neal Ave), but to say that the whole neighborhood is on the way out is a bit insulting. I'm always out and about in the neighborhood and no one's ever bothered me, and I'm a woman walking a dachshund--so not intimidating at all. Houses are selling in the neighborhood (according to my realtor, these houses are being bought by city workers) and three have sold on my block alone in the last 6 months. Heck, there was a bidding war on a home near Homewood a few months ago, not to mention five offers on my house. Maybe it's because I grew up in and around Chicago and Lake County, IN, but Five Oaks is a lot nicer than let's say Hammond, East Chicago, Lake Station, or Gary.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:50 AM

Default This Was so Helpful

Thank you all for this information. It's incredibly helpful. You've really helped me plan out my trip to potential properties. God Bless You All.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:24 PM

55 posts, read 102,404 times
Amandarthegreat, way to keep it real! I don't live in Five Oaks, so it's hard for me to comment on what it may like to be a resident there, and what I do know of Dayton is that a lot can change quite demonstratively *within* a neighborhood (or the 10 or so blocks, really, of these "sub-neighborhoods," or whatever). Thank you for commenting on Five Oaks as a resident; that's useful information to me as well.

To the OP: the Dayton area is much larger, in a way, than I thought upon moving here. It feels like, and also functions as, different cities/towns to a very specific level, it seems. It is definitely a place you must visit in order to properly assess were you feel comfortable (and what's practical, job/leisure wise). To say I live in East Dayton would be vague to most; I think to say I live between Keowee and Linden (or even Findley) is how I've seen the neighborhood mostly described...but there are neighborhood groups, and if they're active in where you live, it does make a difference.

Some are very active, such as the St. Anne's Hill, South Park, and Huffman District Societies. Those are three neighborhoods I'd recommend, and in that order (so long as public school isn't an issue). I prefer to live in downtown Dayton, but I have friends in Belmont, West Carrollton, and Kettering too, which are more suburban. (Belmont has nice cape cod housing with great yards, and is close, depending on where, to a shopping area. If I lived in a less populated area, that would be my first choice).

I am unsure about the areas in on the west side, but would definitely defer to someone who lives there, and again, recommend you check it out. McPherson Town is rather small, but nearby, and is pretty sweet from what residents have said, but I haven't lived there myself. One of the addresses you mentioned is in a "new-everything-is-the-same" cul-de-sacs in Huber Heights. I do know that area just a bit, and it is not like that in the majority of the neighborhood, some of which is fairly rural. I'm sure it would be a decent place to live, depending upon what you're looking for. My partner's mother taught at Huber Heights High School for decades, and from what I know, it is working class with some "newer" housing. Such is a lot of Dayton.

What are you looking for in a neighborhood? At the risk of sounding foolish, what "vibe," you know? What are your needs/desires/bottom lines either positive or negative?

I hope this helps at all. And again, thanks for the information in this conversation!

Cheers,
L

Old 05-03-2013, 07:49 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,645,402 times
The near-west side on the other side of downtown off of West Third is really nice...I think they call it Five Points. It's the historical district which includes the Wright Brothers and Dunbar houses. Beyond that though, it starts to look pretty seedy once you get around James H McGee Blvd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton