Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 02:21 PM

294 posts, read 515,878 times

Advertisements

Why is Grafton Ave. closed off to traffic at Deleware by the church ?

Why id Grafton paved with cobbles unlike the surrounding streets ?

Grafton seems just a bit more kept up and the houses seem bigger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2013, 03:50 PM

4,482 posts, read 6,236,176 times
There are a lot of streets blocked off on the west side, due to crime as I understand. That is a very rough part of town.

Old 05-04-2013, 04:10 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,161,281 times
Ah yes, the gates of Five Oaks. Interesting (and bad) idea.

Some streets, like Five Oaks Ave, Grafton Ave, etc. have gates. The reason why is to prevent crime from creeping in from the surrounding area. But what ultimately happened is crime continued outside the gates while also working its way inside the gates too, effectively trapping the people inside the gates. A very bad solution all the way around.

Dayton Sux probably has a lot more insight on the gates than me as well.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:18 AM

I looked at that area because of the discussion on another recent thread about this area. The one about all of the murders in this area over the years.

Generally, gates of this nature are placed for traffic calming strtaegies. I guess in this case it is to redirect crime.

Again, I am surprised when I am told these areas are so rough because they look like decent areas, not the dense, run down housing project type areas one would expect. Some of the houses are big, well kept and have pools. Also, I do see where there have been some tear downs and a slightly Detroit empty lot look is happeneing on a much smaller scale.

Still wondering about the cobblestones .

Dayton Sux , care to educate me further ?

Old 05-05-2013, 06:24 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,645,402 times
I'm not familiar with the area, but since you mentioned Detroit, what has happened there is majestic (former) mansions which would be otherwise desirable home purchases only extend as a nice area for a couple of blocks until they run into those areas with project housing. The few really nice neighborhoods which remain are basically islands within the city and can only connect to each other by areas most people would not travel by foot, or in some cases even by car.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:42 AM

It is such a shame in any of these cities to see these neighbourhoods bear such trauma when so many people would love to buy and live in these old areas.

I do also see gates on both ends of Rockwood and the other end of Grafton, too.

Old 05-06-2013, 05:37 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,175,680 times
The gates where part of a defensible space plan for the Five Oaks neighborhood. They were not intended for traffic calming per se, but as a crime deterrent.

Defensible Space was a theory by Oscar Newman and the name of a book by him. I think they even brought Newman in as a consultant for the Five Oaks plan. You can google for the details on Defensible Space (I think there is a wiki entry on it online).

As has been said there's some question as to how sucessful this theory was in Five Oaks.

Old 05-06-2013, 12:44 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,753,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
The gates where part of a defensible space plan for the Five Oaks neighborhood. They were not intended for traffic calming per se, but as a crime deterrent.

Defensible Space was a theory by Oscar Newman and the name of a book by him. I think they even brought Newman in as a consultant for the Five Oaks plan. You can google for the details on Defensible Space (I think there is a wiki entry on it online).

As has been said there's some question as to how sucessful this theory was in Five Oaks.
Nope. traffic control.

My priority board representative friend in Middle Riverdale -- she lived on Five Oaks in the little stretch between Main and Forest -- was complaining one day about the traffic going down her street. I thought a minute and told her to get the city to move one of the potted trees from downtown to the middle of the street at either end, Main or Forest, Main being the best. There wouldn't be any cars going down her street if there was a tree sitting in the middle of it; it wouldn't cost anything much but the moving and it could easily be removed again if need be. The fact of life was, anyone familiar with the area and going north avoided the traffic light at Helena by using Five Oaks.

Some months later there was a potted tree from downtown blocking one of the streets leading into McPherson Town. A city commissioner lived there then.

Five Oaks simply got fancy about their traffic control. The thing is, if someone simply said "traffic control" the idea would have gone nowhere. You have to say something like "crime control" to sell the idea and, of course, cutting down on the traffic would cut down on some of the random crime. There was a lot of traffic through that neighborhood just from the high school. And, of course, anyone using the Ridge avenue bridge and going to or from southwest of there would likely go through the neighborhood.

Old 05-06-2013, 06:23 PM

This really surprised me as I would have thought there was some constitutional right of citizens to drive down public streets. Do the resident of the closed streets have a key and need to stop each time and open the gate ? Do they keep going if they feel they are followed by undesireables ?

This brings to mind a lot of questions about public spaces, access, etc. Since I know noyhing of Ohio municipal laws and bylaws, I will ask someone else to comment.

Old 05-07-2013, 05:50 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,175,680 times
Quote:

Nope. traffic control.
Nope, it was defensible space, in Oscar Newmans own words.

Quote:
In the Five Oaks community of Dayton, Ohio, during 1991, violent crimes increased by 77 percent, robberies by 77 percent, vandalism by 38 percent, and overall crime by 16 percent. Drug dealers, pimps, and prostitutes had taken over the streets with abandon. Gun shots could be heard at all times of the day and night; racing cars and blaring boom-boxes disturbed everyone's sleep. Children stayed locked up in their homes.

It was then that the city of Dayton invited me to apply the defensible space concept to the Five Oaks Community. Working with the community and city staff, we reorganized Five Oaks into 10 mini neighborhoods: cul-de-sac streets with gates to block the heavy through-traffic that had plagued the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
View detailed profiles of: