Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 12:46 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,157,496 times

Advertisements

An under-the-radar but quite interesting issue coming from Grafton Hill in today's DDN:

Oktoberfest, Greek Festival threatened in effort to save houses | www.mydaytondailynews.com

(sorry it's behind the paywall)

Quick summary:
The Masonic Temple in Grafton Hill would like to build a new kitchen and parking lot facing Grafton Ave. so they could host festivals and other events at the site. In order to do this, two historic houses would have to be demolished (36 and 52 Grafton Ave, to be specific).

Community leaders in Grafton Hill are requesting the Masonic Temple preserve and relocate the historic houses. The Masonic Temple is refusing to do that, citing costs. So now the community is attempting to make Grafton Hill a "dry" precinct, making events like OctoberFest and Grrek Fest at DAI unable to happen, in an attempt to kill the feasibility of the project.

So what do you all think? Should Grafton Hill go dry and sacrifice the festivals to save the houses? This is an issue that puts economic development and prosperity right at odds with historic preservation in the community.

Last edited by SWOH; 07-27-2014 at 01:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2014, 12:58 PM

2,194 posts, read 3,847,824 times
I like how old houses look as much as the next guy, but you won't catch me living in one unless someone already updated it. Cast iron pipes and knob tubing are a royal pain in the butt to deal with. I appreciate the modernity.

Rant over, it's a ridiculously short-sighted move by Grafton Hill if they make the precinct go dry - they'll remove one of the few reasons people actually go there. So they'll have their historic houses all right... and nobody to go over there and enjoy them. Dayton has already lost enough in the past few years (ahem, cityfolk) to lose the Greek festival as well, which I went to last year and really enjoyed.

Old 07-27-2014, 01:04 PM

^I kinda have to agree.... taking these festivals away from the DAI would be a blow to the institute and Grafton Hill.

What I'm wondering is how much it would cost to move these houses? I know it's not cheap, but what is the expected return on this investment for the Masonic Temple? Should they have enough profit to pay for the move?

It is important to consider all the stakeholders, and figure out a way to keep everyone as satisfied with the end result as possible. And right now in this case it looks like both are going to the extremes.

I wish people would have cared this much about 601 W Riverview directly across the street. That was a treasure.

Old 07-27-2014, 01:55 PM

14,669 posts, read 14,633,857 times
I live in a century-old home which was a gut-to-stud remodel subsidized through the NSP. They (supposedly) put well over $100k into the rehab, and sold it for $85k. Even if these houses don't get the full rehab treatment, the Masonic Temple is probably correct they would not be financially feasible to save. The neighborhood group needs to put up or shut up, either with their own money or a nonprofit who would be interested in saving the homes. Otherwise, you can't force an owner to save a building which doesn't have landmark status, especially when none of the parties involved have the resources to do so.

Old 07-27-2014, 03:14 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,082,382 times
This is why historic districts have drawbacks in addition to all the positive hype. But in this case, it isn't the local municipal org (the Landmarks Commission) being a thorn in the side, it is local property owners. Which usually would make me all hunky-dory.

However, when you throw in an overzealous association president that doesn't know the meaning of the word "diplomatic," it could get pretty ugly for all parties involved. What's worse is if the precedent argument actually does hold no merit (IMO, I don't know because I'm not versed in local real estate and government law), this association president could be spreading misinformation. Last thing DAI and these festivals need is to wage a crisis campaign against a bunch of preservationists that don't know what they are talking about. All because of this association president's overzealous and undiplomatic nature of conducting business.

Sure makes me not want to live in Grafton Hill, as pretty (and seemingly petty) as it is.

Old 07-27-2014, 03:25 PM

1,328 posts, read 1,446,655 times
I like the way houses look, but these festivals mean more than 2 houses. If the people in the neighborhood really want to save the houses, they should be the ones to pay for all of this.

Old 07-29-2014, 07:32 AM

Sounds like the cost of moving a house isn't too horrible:

HowStuffWorks "Costs of House Moving"

Seems like the easy solution is the Masonic Home gives the houses away free to anyone willing to pay to move them. I could see someone buying one of these houses to put out on a large lot in the countryside or in a new custom homes development. And the two houses are fairly large, by the time one of these was moved to a site the odds are it would be cheaper than building new.

Makes me wish I had money to throw around haha. I'd move them near Tipp City, and could probably flip them for $300k+ depending on the lot. With a $50k lot, no way it'd cost more than $250k to pour a new slab foundation and get the house put on top of it.

Old 07-29-2014, 04:42 PM

1,870 posts, read 1,900,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHKID View Post
Seems like the easy solution is the Masonic Home gives the houses away free to anyone willing to pay to move them. I could see someone buying one of these houses to put out on a large lot in the countryside ...
Why so far away?

Aren't there open lots right there in the neighborhood?

An alternative would be to deconstruct the houses and preserve the stuff inside that is worth saving and can be used to rehab other old houses.

There certainly appear to be more old houses in Dayton than there are potential buyers.

It just seems a shame to me to just bulldoze all of them when there are parts that can be salvaged like hardwood floors and other fixtures.

Last edited by IDtheftV; 07-29-2014 at 04:51 PM..

Old 07-30-2014, 07:36 AM

^Very good points.

The only reason I'd move them far away is because I don't think the cost of moving the houses could be recouped in Grafton Hill, even with a free lot. Their values, according to Zillow, are $85k and $105k, and I figure if they're going to be put on a truck to be moved anyways, they might as well be moved to an area as an alternative to constructing a new house.

But yeah, I'd rather see them stay there too. I just don't see how the community is going to find the $100k - $200k to make it happen.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:26 AM

3,968 posts, read 8,498,863 times
Drive the route, any route, from Grafton Hill to Tipp City sometime. See if you can find one clear enough without obstructions (trees, wires, overpasses, narrow bridges, etc.) to allow a move of that scale. Wires can be dropped, for a cost, but what about all those other things. It isn't as simple as you might think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
View detailed profiles of: