Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2014, 07:08 AM

1 posts, read 972 times

Advertisements

My daughter is 5 and is in Kindergarten and at the same school also attended Pre-k last year.I attended this school along with my 4 siblings who have all went there since K-12 grade. They know our family very well. I have full custody and the best interest of my child is to remain with me.Was never married and father only gets her every other weekend( 4 days/month). He's NEVER been to a parent teacher conference, any school activities-they don't know who he is. At the start of school in August 2012, I explained the situation and gave them a copy of our custody papers to file. In February 2013 he just walked into the office said he was my daughters father and they directed him to her classroom and let him take her out of class to talk to her in hallway. Never called me to say "Hey theres a guy here name SO AND SO and their claiming to be your daughters father and wants to see her" they just let him go on back.Needless to say I had a meeting with school officials and expressed how disappointed and beyond frustrated with them I was. Here we are again February 2014 and he called to ask if she was at school that day and if they could check her for head lice and her body for any bruising. They took his name and number- Pulled my child out of class checked her and then called him back to report NO head lice or body bruising. DURING all of this once again no phone call was made to me. My daughter came home and told me so i called school to find out what happened that day. I feel this is a violation of my child's safety, there's no confidentiality with them and they clearly have papers on file stating I have full custody and I'm the residential parents. Am I right, Is the school wrong for doing this?.... This is in Ohio
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 09:45 AM

3,513 posts, read 5,180,892 times
You would get a better response in the education forum here or the legal forum here.

Both are under "General Forums"

Old 02-10-2014, 08:07 PM

12,114 posts, read 23,375,101 times
Being the custodial parent does not negate the non custodial parent's right' and they do not negate the non custodial parent's federal rights under FERPA, so unless you have a specific court order negating those rights, he has parental rights which your custody agreement can not legally interfere with or negate. The school has no obligation to tell you that a non custodial parent is exercising their parental/FERPA rights.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:15 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,710,260 times
OP: you really better talk to an attorney if you feel your rights were violated substantially.

While you can always trust random, unchecked legal advice offered over the internet , best to be safe.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:47 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,805,517 times
It sounds as if your ex is trying to make you look like a bad parent. Get an attorney now. Document everything that happens. Sit down with the school administrators and express your concern of how things are being handled. Good luck

Old 02-11-2014, 04:55 AM

133 posts, read 196,029 times
Sounds like the bigger issue, is your school letting people take kids of out class without signing in and showing ID. I have no idea the legal side of your child's father being able to pull her out of class. But, even a parent they've known for years should have to sign at the office.

I would question the school and or school board about anyone being able to access the school or a classroom without signing in and showing ID.

Old 02-11-2014, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioan58 View Post
OP: you really better talk to an attorney if you feel your rights were violated substantially.

While you can always trust random, unchecked legal advice offered over the internet , best to be safe.

I agree.

Old 02-11-2014, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyMac1407 View Post
The issue is the fact the school let someone pull a child who they apparently didn't know, out of class. I thought it was pretty uniform across schools, that you had to sign in and show some sort of ID at the front office.
We don't know what happened since we have apparent third hand conjecture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton