Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 10:11 AM

1,539 posts, read 2,304,025 times

Advertisements

With your budget and resale being a valid concern, perhaps consider Oakwood, Centerville or Bellbrook. I grew up in Centerville and personally love the area and the schools. Ask your Realtor to tell you average days on the market for homes in your price range. That will give you an idea of what areas are more sought after. If newer construction is more your thing, Centerville and Bellbrook will have more to choose from with Oakwood having older (yet beautiful!) housing stock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 10:27 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,848,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilMom6 View Post
So I wonder why it looks like Bellbrook houses have slower turnovers/longer days on market?

Anybody have thoughts on best way to find a good realtor? Is there one company that is "known" for the Kettering or Oakwood areas?
I don't have a firm answer as to why that is, but I can make a couple suppositions:

1) Bellbrook is a bit further out of the way if you're making the drive to WPAFB. (It'll be 25-30 minutes, depending on what area of the base you're working in). In Dayton, that's a long commute.

2) The property taxes are higher than other areas in Greene County (but lower than almost anything in Montgomery County).

Old 01-28-2015, 10:59 AM

1,328 posts, read 1,446,655 times
Here are some examples of houses in Kettering.

Kettering OH Real Estate - 463 Homes For Sale - Zillow

Old 01-29-2015, 06:10 AM

2,107 posts, read 5,082,854 times
I think the OP can find older 1970s and 80s and even 90s homes in Centerville and Beavercreek for less than 350-400K. They may need some updates, but they will fit the size requirements. I would look in Washington Township, even though the commute may be 5-10 minutes longer, you avoid the income tax in Centerville.

Not sure where you are hearing of funding issues for Beavercreek because we are current on all levies (meaning there are no "new" levies down the immediate pipeline. Perhaps a renewal or two and those pass rather easily). Also, Beavercreek has two new schools (actually a campus) for Trebein Elementary and Coy Middle Schools.

I would check in Tara Falls, East or West in the area S of Shakertown Road and E of N. Fairfield Road. Also, there are some large tri-level and colonials back in Spicer Heights north of Kemp between Grange Hall and Fairfield.

Centerville has many similar neighborhoods and you should be good to find things closer to 250-300K, though don't expect brand new. That will be the case in either Beavercreek or Centerville. IMO, a resale in Kettering in the 300K+ range would be harder because most housing stock in that range is really older or old custom. Most people can build new in a slightly better school district for the same price. Though that is not a knock on Kettering Schools. They are good. There's just more lower priced housing (think 100-200K) there.

Oakwood doesn't sound like your cup of tea. It will have better resale than Kettering for those prices, but the same as Beavercreek and Centerville.

Keep in mind this time of year, houses aren't selling because it is winter. Most people here hold off to spring and summer to list, buy and sell.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:17 AM

76 posts, read 142,445 times
"Keep in mind this time of year, houses aren't selling because it is winter. Most people here hold off to spring and summer to list, buy and sell."

Wrightflyer, that is a really good point I had forgotten. Possibly that is skewing the DOM numbers (days on market) because that's the only thing left--the stuff that hasn't sold, and there are not many new listings right now.

I appreciate the input. I talked with the spouse about it. The sense I'm getting from reading everyone's comments and checking zillow and such is that we should strongly consider finding a way to move our price point down (such as by buying older housing stock or broadening the areas where we look) OR take a closer look at renting.

Old 01-29-2015, 11:46 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,268,769 times
Oakwood will have the best resale value, followed by West Kettering and Centerville.

Old 01-30-2015, 08:17 AM

2,107 posts, read 5,082,854 times
^But you will have more for your money in Beavercreek. And the resale rate isn't all that different if any different at all.

Here's a couple houses I found via a local real estate website. One is in Centerville and two are in Beavercreek. The Centerville (actually Washington Township, so no Centerville income tax) one is the largest and newest, so it is more expensive (both by price and taxes). Here's a breakdown. Least expensive to most:

1704 Post Dr, Beavercreek, OH 45432 (MLS# 598710)
4bed 3.5bath
$239,750; taxes semi-annually are $1,888.00
SQ FT (approx): 2,888
Wooded lot tri-level built in 1975 but recently renovated and has open floor plan. May be a little smaller than needed.

2477 N Knoll Dr, Beavercreek, OH 45431 (MLS# 596392)
5bed 3.5bath
$244,900; taxes semi-annually are $2,469.00
SQ FT (approx): 3,220
Three-car garage tri-level built in 1989 in desirable neighborhood with private swim club and .5 miles from Shaw Elementary. Two blocks to neighborhood park. Good and well maintained landscaping. Probably fits what you need best and for good price.

9120 Surrey Gate Pl, Centerville, OH 45458 (MLS# 600325)
5bed 3.5bath
$333,00; taxes semi-annually are $4,041.00
SQ FT (approx): 4,182
Ryan home (Zachary Model) built in 2003 on cul-de-sac lot. Close to large Kroger and in desirable area. No income tax due to Washington Township location. Largest and most up-to-date home but also most expensive and high taxes.

If you want to get further details, find any local Realtor website and enter the MLS Number provided.

Hope this helps in some research!

Old 01-30-2015, 09:28 AM

76 posts, read 142,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightflyer View Post
^

Hope this helps in some research!
Yes!! It does--you guys are amazing! It's a huge help to me--I'm a planner and a bit of a worrier so this is just tremendously helpful!

Thanks!

Old 02-03-2015, 08:04 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,214,075 times
My impression is that the military here tend to stick to (1) Centerville, Beavercreek and Springboro, (2) buy in relatively new housing developments. If you want to resell consider who is probably going to buy it. Another military family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton