Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2015, 01:52 AM

527 posts, read 2,169,343 times

Advertisements

Will be coming to Ohio from India and would be probably staying in Sidney, OH. I will need to get a car soon and initially I would be short of capital. In 2011 when I was in Texas, I had got a 1999 Honda Accord for $4400 and the car served me well for my stay till 2012 end. Sold that for $1K less.
Now Ohio is totally different climate and snow and all. I don't know if this affects anything in terms of car buying. Now I have 2 options.
Wait a month or so and buy a older used car for like $5K or around figure.
Another option is to get a car loan and get a fairly new but used (say 2010 and newer) car from a dealer.

What option should I consider and why ?

I have a perception that Japanese brands will be better so would want to go for a Honda or Toyota or may be Nissan.

Please suggest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 02:06 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,405,151 times
You can get a good used car for under $5,000 almost anywhere in the U.S. Craigslist has listings every single day if you know what you're looking for. If you're not so familiar with cars, then going through a dealer could be your best bet as they will be thoroughly checked out before selling. Make sure the car recently passed state inspections (within the past 3 months) and test drive it before you buy.

$5k can get you a reliable stylish used car... it won't be any more of a problem finding one in Ohio than Texas.

Old 02-19-2015, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G0DDESS View Post
You can get a good used car for under $5,000 almost anywhere in the U.S. Craigslist has listings every single day if you know what you're looking for. If you're not so familiar with cars, then going through a dealer could be your best bet as they will be thoroughly checked out before selling. Make sure the car recently passed state inspections (within the past 3 months) and test drive it before you buy.

$5k can get you a reliable stylish used car... it won't be any more of a problem finding one in Ohio than Texas.

Can you help me with some good used car dealers in dayton / Troy / Piqua area ?
I have been told that some of my colleagues at Sidney office have bought cars from a single dealer at Columbus but all of them bought fairly new cars and paid more than $12K or so. But I cannot buy such a car without taking a car loan.

Old 02-19-2015, 04:33 AM

908 posts, read 1,418,516 times
The people I know who buy used cars from dealers seem to like the various places that are off of exit 69 in Tipp City and Troy, although they haven't bought recently, so I'm not sure if others have become better in the meantime.

Old 02-19-2015, 12:23 PM

2,194 posts, read 3,849,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rak007 View Post
Will be coming to Ohio from India and would be probably staying in Sidney, OH. I will need to get a car soon and initially I would be short of capital. In 2011 when I was in Texas, I had got a 1999 Honda Accord for $4400 and the car served me well for my stay till 2012 end. Sold that for $1K less.
Now Ohio is totally different climate and snow and all. I don't know if this affects anything in terms of car buying. Now I have 2 options.
Another option is to get a car loan and get a fairly new but used (say 2010 and newer) car from a dealer.

I have a perception that Japanese brands will be better so would want to go for a Honda or Toyota or may be Nissan.

Please suggest.
In Ohio and the rest of the "salt belt" states, rust is something you need to be aware of when buying anything more than about 10 years old.

It varies greatly from one car to another - some models are more prone to rust than others, some owners take better care of their cars, etc.

I've bought numerous cars for well under $3,000 in the past year. All but one had varying degrees of rust on them; most of them were fixed and sold to people with the full knowledge that those cars' days were numbered.

That all said, there's nothing that keeps you from buying a car off Craigslist or other online seller. You can always have an independent mechanic check the car out before you buy if you're not mechanically inclined yourself... you'll save a LOT of money buying from a private party because you're better able to haggle with a private seller versus a dealer.

Old 02-19-2015, 01:22 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,160,534 times
OP, you have great advice above!

I know next to nothing about buying cars, but I would highly recommend checking the CarFax. But make the seller do the legwork and buy it/provide it to you before the sale. That way you'll know the vehicle's full reported accident and maintenance history.

Many dealerships, like CarMax, do this right off the bat. As do many honest independent sellers.

Old 02-21-2015, 11:48 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,301,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxdtdemon View Post
The people I know who buy used cars from dealers seem to like the various places that are off of exit 69 in Tipp City and Troy, although they haven't bought recently, so I'm not sure if others have become better in the meantime.
N Dixie between Embury Park and Needmore is a good strip. That "Ken's Kars" over there at 75 and Main seems to have some deals too

Old 02-21-2015, 01:05 PM

2,194 posts, read 3,849,546 times
Quote:

Please suggest.
When will you be moving to the Dayton area? If you're interested, send me a PM - maybe I can point you in the right direction.

Old 02-21-2015, 02:13 PM

1,870 posts, read 1,901,488 times
Quote:
You forgot Subaru. They specialize in all-wheel-drive vehicles and are neck-and-neck reliability-wise with Toyota and Honda.

The Japanese basically turned automobiles into an appliance that you just get into and drive instead of a machine that you expect to break down and have parts fall off.

ObTrivia:
Subaru is the Japanese word for Pleiades ( plea-ah-deeze ) . The badge on the car has the six visible stars of this star cluster nicknamed the Seven Sisters. It's currently visible right after sunset.

Old 02-23-2015, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
When will you be moving to the Dayton area? If you're interested, send me a PM - maybe I can point you in the right direction.
I don't have a date yet. But hopefully it should in next 2 weeks. I will be put up in Sidney as my work location is there. I haven't checked much craiglist yet and won't be able to afford a higher price car too initially due to limited funds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
View detailed profiles of: