Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 09:52 PM

430 posts, read 593,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtheftV View Post
Never move to a new city and sign a lease or buy a house prior to moving.

Always move into a weekly stay place and explore ( for a week ) ( for a month ).

If you move somewhere stupid it's on you for doing that.Heh. Are you prepared for a fight with Amandarthegreat?
She likes a lot of the Northern parts .... ( I wouldn't want to be you right now lest you get smacked-down. )

Hey, I'm not that scary!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2015, 09:54 PM

430 posts, read 593,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Those areas are still like this? I haven't been there in over 10 years, just wondering if there have been any change.
Depends on the immediate neighborhood rather than just a general area. Five Oaks has some great areas, and some not so great areas. A good rule of thumb is the farther "inland" you go from Main and parts of Salem, the nicer it is.

Old 04-13-2015, 04:17 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,158,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amandarthegreat View Post
Depends on the immediate neighborhood rather than just a general area. Five Oaks has some great areas, and some not so great areas. A good rule of thumb is the farther "inland" you go from Main and parts of Salem, the nicer it is.
Great to know, I was never sure whether or not that was the case.

Thanks for the insight!

Old 04-13-2015, 04:38 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,448,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOH View Post
^Aside from house appreciation, yeah for the most part places like Dayton View, Westwood, etc. are still in economic turmoil.

However, housing prices are going back up in all of these neighborhoods. So one good sign. The key will be figuring out how to reduce crime and build off the infrastructure that is already in place and is desirable for most Millennials (walkable, good transit options, small yard/low maintenance, etc.).

Places like South Park and St. Anne's Hill are doing an excellent job of this, and other places like Belmont and Walnut Hills are making strides too. The city that is really winning at it though is Kettering, with a distant second place going to Huber Heights.

The biggest difference over the past 10 years would probably be how much Harrison Twp. and Trotwood have continued to fall while Kettering, downtown, South Park and the areas around UD have become significantly nicer. Other areas have stayed consistent.
Are housing prices going up because of inflation or are they going up because those neighborhoods are better than they used to be in the early 2000s?

Old 04-13-2015, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Are housing prices going up because of inflation or are they going up because those neighborhoods are better than they used to be in the early 2000s?
That depends.

South Park and St. Anne's Hill, housing price appreciations are certainly due to revitalization. McPherson Town and Wright Dunbar would have already come online before you left, but both of those too have experienced 180 degree turnarounds. The same case could be made for Walnut Hills.

Places like Twin Towers have housing values increasing by association, despite the fact that the neighborhood has not made significant improvements.

Places like Dayton View, Santa Clara, etc. are seeing home prices increase due to lower housing supply (less people moving) and a better market with more demand. Maybe inflation is a factor too, but overall you'd think you were looking at the exact same housing market based on prices alone if you got in a time capsule and rocketed yourself back to 2005.

The places that saw lots of housing price deflation were Trotwood and Harrison Twp. Other kinda random places that saw this happen enough to still keep the prices suppressed were random, like West Carrollton, Fairborn, etc. Increased competition from Beavercreek/Kettering, GM Moraine closing, etc. were probably big driving factors here.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:33 AM

17 posts, read 24,250 times
I am coming next week for a week. My husband is already there and has driven around. Middle st. is a huge no for me now.

Huber Heights? Any thoughts on that area?
What are they neighborhoods that are a definite no in the northern part? What parts on the west are ok. and what parts not??
I appreciate all opinions!

Old 05-01-2015, 12:53 PM

I'll send you a PM about specific areas I would avoid. Rather not post publicly just in case I'm wrong and I don't want to disparage places unnecessarily.

As for Huber, it's not a bad place at all. Very average community. Heck, if i were to define an "average suburban community" I'd probably point right to Huber Heights.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:17 PM

2,194 posts, read 3,848,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor222 View Post
I am coming next week for a week. My husband is already there and has driven around. Middle st. is a huge no for me now.

Huber Heights? Any thoughts on that area?
What are they neighborhoods that are a definite no in the northern part? What parts on the west are ok. and what parts not??
I appreciate all opinions!
Huber is hit and miss but as a general rule the further north and east you go away from the city center the better off you are. I'm not the most familiar with the area though, so I'm not 100% qualified to speak on ther.

To me, anything along the Siebenthaler Road area is a definite "no-go", although I'll probably draw the ire of a few fellow posters here for that statement. That area was notable for the Klonda Richey death case last year... a lady was mauled to death by her neighbor's two pit-mastiff mixes, and despite two dozen calls to the county, nothing was ever done until it was too late.

Also avoid Trotwood... "Thotwood" is the new nickname of the high school for a reason, and the retail corridor is dead due to high and continuing crime in the area.

As a general rule, avoid anything west of downtown, including the Wright-Dunbar district. A lot of money has been poured into rehabbing the storefronts along Third Street but the city is really spinning its' wheels trying to revitalize that neighborhood. Sadly, many of the residents here prefer to carry off anything they can lift, and burn the rest.

If you're serious about rehabbing a house, look in the South Park district, which is the next up-and-coming place. It's close to downtown, Miami Valley Hospital, and UD, and also has highway access via US-35.

Old 05-02-2015, 05:54 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,448,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
Huber is hit and miss but as a general rule the further north and east you go away from the city center the better off you are. I'm not the most familiar with the area though, so I'm not 100% qualified to speak on ther.

To me, anything along the Siebenthaler Road area is a definite "no-go", although I'll probably draw the ire of a few fellow posters here for that statement. That area was notable for the Klonda Richey death case last year... a lady was mauled to death by her neighbor's two pit-mastiff mixes, and despite two dozen calls to the county, nothing was ever done until it was too late.

Also avoid Trotwood... "Thotwood" is the new nickname of the high school for a reason, and the retail corridor is dead due to high and continuing crime in the area.

As a general rule, avoid anything west of downtown, including the Wright-Dunbar district. A lot of money has been poured into rehabbing the storefronts along Third Street but the city is really spinning its' wheels trying to revitalize that neighborhood. Sadly, many of the residents here prefer to carry off anything they can lift, and burn the rest.

If you're serious about rehabbing a house, look in the South Park district, which is the next up-and-coming place. It's close to downtown, Miami Valley Hospital, and UD, and also has highway access via US-35.
Trotwood has always been suspect. So the women are loose there I take it.

Old 05-02-2015, 04:48 PM

17 posts, read 24,250 times
Actually found a really no e huse in Linden Heights but suspect that is a no t s great area? Thoughts? Stilllooking!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton