Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 10:33 AM

62 posts, read 62,734 times

Advertisements

Looking to move to Dayton area, for work. Is city known to be wheelchair friendly? Daughter uses wheelchair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 01:14 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,160,534 times
As far as the entire city is concerned, I'm not sure. When it comes to public schools, there are a few places I'd certainly advise against relocating simply because they don't have the facilities (Oakwood, Germantown, Bethel, Arcanum, Franklin Monroe, and Yellow Springs all come to mind because of older school buildings).

So probably Kettering, Beavercreek, Vandalia, Northmont, Centerville, etc would all be good. As for differentiation between each I honestly don't know. Probably would want to go with the districts with the newest buildings. Which would put you in Dayton public or Trotwood haha. But either of those can work too.

The big advantage the region would have for your daughter is higher education. WSU is 100% handicap accessible, the only 4-year or more college in the State of Ohio that is. Because of this, a number of disabled students go to school here and live independently. Or commute. So this would probably be the biggest advantage.

Good luck! Others can hopefully help more. Again I'm not the most knowledgable about how to live with disabilities.

Old 05-01-2015, 01:29 PM

I don't know the area AT ALL so I can use all the info I can get!

Old 05-01-2015, 01:48 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,160,534 times
Sure! I completely understand.

The best thing you could do to help point us in the right direction is answer these questions:

-Where you are working?
-How much you are willing to spend on housing?
-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate
-If you have kids: Private school or public school?
-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight?
-Community amenities important to you?
-Pie or cake?

Also if you could provide any more detail about the specific accommodations your daughter / family would need as a result of her disability would be excellent.

I have a rough idea of what people in wheelchairs are able to do and what they aren't but I'm sure there is a lot I don't know too.

Old 05-01-2015, 02:19 PM

Sure, here are some more details:

I'll be working at UD
Our budget is 500k-1m, max commute 1 hour
Francesca, age 11, has Spina Bifida (congenital paralysis) pushes a manual chair
Public school is better due to likely hood of accessibility
Need suburban ranch style house, if possible
Apple pie please

Old 05-01-2015, 02:29 PM

Another complication, perhaps:

Fran will need doctors in the following fields:

Orthopedist
Urologist
Neurologist

those doctors needs to be centrally located. But the basic type of healthcare providers can be decentralized if necessary.

Old 05-01-2015, 04:51 PM

1,328 posts, read 1,448,454 times
I'd recommend Kettering or Centerville based on what you are looking for

Old 05-04-2015, 08:53 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,278,346 times
I would call the schools in Oakwood, Kettering and C'ville and ask about handicapped accessability. Don't forget that you need to ask about middle school and HS, although Oakwood is a 7-12 school. Oakwood and parts of Kettering are closest to UD, but Oakwood does have a more limited number of ranch style homes. Beavercreek might be worth a look as well.

When we needed a neurologist for my ex-wife, we had a very poor experience in Dayton. We ended up with a responsive neurologist in Cincinnati who was great, and who did a lot of work with MS patients, which is what we needed.

Old 05-04-2015, 10:14 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,849,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erictelevision View Post
Looking to move to Dayton area, for work. Is city known to be wheelchair friendly? Daughter uses wheelchair.
Depending on the age of the child (especially if younger) I would recommend the southern suburbs such as Centerville and Springboro.

You'll have the added benefit of being about 35 minutes away from Cincinnati Children's, which is routinely ranked in the top 5 nationwide for children's hospitals... even though Dayton Children's is far closer I would only send a child there if I didn't have any other choice.

Old 05-04-2015, 01:07 PM

Thanks hens!! Fran is 11, so she's getting the crossroads, age-wise. Thanks for the note about Cincy Children's. Of course we need to consider middle/High schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton