Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 05:45 PM

430 posts, read 593,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv my dayton View Post
Best place for it right now is where it is. Central location and police presence 24-7. Anywhere else would offer too much privacy for the criminal element to hassel the law abiding.
I think that area needs a few more shops to really spur the police into pushing the 'no loitering' policy. If the City Centre building is converted into housing, a doorman would really help move some people along. The people taking the bus aren't the problem; it's the group of young men that seem to have nothing better to do than to cluster there and be obnoxious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 04:33 PM

1,870 posts, read 1,900,253 times
Quote:
You will have access to the entire website you just wont be able to submit any postings. Thanks to the hundreds of spammers Curt found it difficult to handle it all. There is no longer a need for donations.
Why is there no longer a need? Isn't there some cost just to having the site up? Won't there be any expansion of pictures or is this just going to be a static site from now on?

Old 05-27-2015, 05:25 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,299,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving to RDriesenUD again"

It's absolutely on topic because the constant presence of troublemakers at the hub has a profound effect on the viability of businesses in the area. Case in point... Cold Beer and Cheeseburgers got tired of all the trouble and riffraff causing fights out front that they moved several blocks away. I bet their business is doing better now that the police aren't being called three or four times a day.

For better or worse, the hub needs to be in a central location, but contained and out of the way enough that the trouble doesn't spill over onto neighboring businesses or residences. Those terms are often mutually exclusive... I can imagine having the hub as a covered building would have helped though?
As for the posters wanting a relocation, they are already have hubs in Trotwood, Miami Twp, W Dayton and Eastown. So why would they wanna build in those areas?

Old 05-28-2015, 08:46 PM

I think this video needs to be in this thread:

Our Ohio - The Arcade
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMlXdi4-dKY

Sad that this video was published in 2008.

Early 2013: ( Apr 25, 2013 )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhgaNnt9ktQ

The following update comes from mid 2013: ( Jun 13, 2013 )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA_aFKQ3cQ8

Now, from 2014: ( Mar 11, 2014 )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM2dd-po3fc

Historic Dayton Arcade Part 1 ( August 18, 2014 )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfJTAkkmVr4

Dayton Arcade Task Force Meets for First Time ( Aug 19, 2014 )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=by02nN3Bi-0

I kept finding stuff ...

Last edited by IDtheftV; 05-28-2015 at 08:59 PM..

Old 05-29-2015, 03:07 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,847,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherphotographer View Post
As for the posters wanting a relocation, they are already have hubs in Trotwood, Miami Twp, W Dayton and Eastown. So why would they wanna build in those areas?
I haven't been to all the hubs but I can speak for some of them:

"Thotwood" needs no explanation.

Miami Township's hub is located right next to the township's police department. That hasn't stopped the troublemakers from making their way up Kingsridge Drive towards the Wal-Mart, however.

West and East Dayton hubs I am generally unfamiliar with but I can only assume they also have similarly negative effects on the nearby business districts. IIRC the Eastown shopping center is anchored by a Village Discounters and a few other low-end shops with some used car lots on the other side of Linden?

In a twisted way, it's the NIMBY that few would ever care to admit.

Old 05-31-2015, 04:47 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,639,923 times
Default arcade

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOH View Post
Besides Arcade Seafoods, I have always wondered about the shops and offices and residences in the Arcade in times past.

Can anyone help me out?
Have tried this several times and think the post about the arcade went over the rainbo with dorothy and toto. Dayton historybooks has a thread called videos and pic. It list the decades and one is called arcade. Shows some of what was in there. Milinary shops,shoe repair, plenty of fresh food and what we now call fast food. The 50s shows how dayton looked and you will notice all that is no longer. Think the first pic shows Sears. Across the street today is Riverscape.

Old 06-01-2015, 09:44 AM

19 posts, read 21,071 times
Quote:
Have tried this several times and think the post about the arcade went over the rainbo with dorothy and toto. Dayton historybooks has a thread called videos and pic. It list the decades and one is called arcade. Shows some of what was in there. Milinary shops,shoe repair, plenty of fresh food and what we now call fast food. The 50s shows how dayton looked and you will notice all that is no longer. Think the first pic shows Sears. Across the street today is Riverscape.
Yes, it notes that all of the photos in that Arcade link were taken in 1969- which was still a relatively bustling time.

And yes, I loooove those photos from the '50s- it helps that there are so many of them. I wish the '60s and '70s links were equally well-represented.

I have a few things to send to Curt which may end up in the images section there...I still have to get those all together and send them to him.

Sorry for the thread hijack, here. I'll stop now.

Old 06-01-2015, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue j View Post
Sorry for the thread hijack, here. I'll stop now.
I don't know where you get the idea you are hijacking. Your post is spot on topic and helpful. I'm glad you're here.

Old 06-01-2015, 11:37 AM

19 posts, read 21,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtheftV View Post
I don't know where you get the idea you are hijacking. Your post is spot on topic and helpful. I'm glad you're here.
Well, thank you.

I had thought I was straying off-topic a little too much, talking about the DHBO site, but yeah, it is all relevant.

Old 06-11-2015, 12:41 PM

Quote:
You will have access to the entire website you just wont be able to submit any postings. Thanks to the hundreds of spammers Curt found it difficult to handle it all. There is no longer a need for donations.
I just got a letter from Mr Dalton and he said that there definitely IS a need for donations.

I don't know if we are on the same page on this, so I'm not trying to be a putz here. I am just making sure that this site is supported.

I really like http://www.daytonhistorybooks.com/ and use it a lot to review pictures and read stories that were written decades ago about times in Dayton decades before the writing. I made sure to donate enough to be in the top tier ( guess my name ... ) and will do so again this year.

When I download "shareware" - if the software is useful and I want to keep it, I always support that. I consider daytonhistorybooks to be like shareware. I use it. Someone spent time to provide it to me. I compensate them for their time. If you go there frequently or just pretty much and don't donate then you should feel guilty. Even $10 ( drink and a scone at ¶bucks ) helps pay to keep the lights on.

If you haven't checked out the site, please do so. I really thought that the reminiscences of being children playing among the beautiful houses on 1st, 2nd, 3rd, ... street back "in the day" - when they were neighborhoods - was fascinating. Now these places are barren parking lots or empty barren office buildings that are located there now .

What a sad transformation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton