Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 10:57 AM

430 posts, read 593,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzinAround View Post
I've found that this is an issue across the country. I've lived in a few different places, and even though someone tells you some neighborhood or street corner is dangerous, when you look at the crime stats or experience it for yourself, it's not so bad. It really just comes down to different people's levels of comfort with strangers who don't present themselves in the same way as the observer. I'm no stranger to sketchy-looking areas, as Atlanta has a number of them. I think I'll just test ride it out the week before I start and see what I think. Thanks for your honest opinion

No problem at all. If you check out here: http://www.daytonohiopolice.com/CrimeMap/ you'll see that it's not as 'dangerous' as they like to say. Since you're from Atlanta (I'm from the Chicago-land area), you know exactly what I'm talking about. You'll be fine, my friend. Feel free to PM me if you need any more help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 01:35 PM

1,328 posts, read 1,447,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amandarthegreat View Post
It's not. It's just that some Daytonites freak out when black people cluster. Couple that with the classist hatred of public transit riders altogether and it turns into 'Dayton is the most dangerous place of all because of RTA people!' Transportation hubs around the world attract pickpockets and the occasional weirdo (Termini in Rome is especially bad), but here, they lose their everloving minds.

I'm a pale, upper-middle class woman and I've never had an issue when I take the bus--except for the occasional person insinuating that I'm poor because I don't want to pay for meter parking or find a parking spot when I go to the library or the Oregon for the afternoon. However, if you ever feel nervous or need some help, look for the bright green vests (bright blue coats in winter). Those are the Downtown Ambassadors and they are there to help.
You better know exactly what you are talking about if you are going to call someone a racist. I for one may never post on this board again because of this post. I hope you guys enjoy one person ruining it for everyone else.

Old 06-22-2015, 01:43 PM

18 posts, read 22,564 times
I appreciate the link! Also, how often are the bike ways along the river submerged in the water? I was there a few days ago, and although it's apparently been raining for a while, it seems like they were all covered by the water. Does this happen often or just occasionally?

Old 06-22-2015, 02:01 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,159,123 times
^It depends!

Some trails are more susceptible than others. If you ever bike north through Taylorsville Metropark, for instance, the trail approaching I-70 floods frequently. Other trails, like the ones downtown at street level, flood far less frequently.

If you were in town a few days ago, you saw the effects of one of the largest rainstorms in recent memory for downtown. So for the most part the trails won't be submerged in water like that, but for certain areas of certain trails it does happen more frequently. A good example would be the lower trails that run right up next to the river and its water downtown. That's why there are higher trails there too haha.

Old 06-22-2015, 02:01 PM

1,328 posts, read 1,447,674 times
Not very often. We have had a TON of rain recently.

Old 06-22-2015, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzinAround View Post
The apartment complex is actually really close to Shoup Mill, right where Riverside Drive curves to meet Shoup Mill. The drive up Riverside drive there isn't very welcoming though, so I definitely see what you mean. They're renovating it all as people move in, which is great, and apparently Harrison Township police patrol the complex at night when the leasing office is closed. Are the places you mentioned in Grafton Hill perhaps The Riverstone or The Rockwood? I toured those complexes but wasn't overly impressed. It would be nicer, however, since it's closer to the bike lanes down by the river there.
Ah. I know the complex. Great pick!

The owner of the entire complex will be residing in a unit, and renovation will be happening over the next few years. Definitely the best complex in that area of town and one of the best in the city, I would assume, given that there will be an active owner.

And yes, actually I was thinking even lower budget than those complexes. There used to be units for rent that went for as low as $275/mo! Crazy low. But the units hadn't been updated, cleaned, etc. in ages, and if someone had decided to do something dumb like cook meth there, then it would be a really harmful and toxic environment.

Old 06-22-2015, 03:23 PM

2,194 posts, read 3,848,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
You better know exactly what you are talking about if you are going to call someone a racist. I for one may never post on this board again because of this post. I hope you guys enjoy one person ruining it for everyone else.
Based on her post history, I'm starting to wonder if she's Nan, posting behind an alias.

Old 06-22-2015, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
I wasn't calling anyone here a racist; it's a little disconcerting that you think it's about you.

Old 06-22-2015, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
Based on her post history, I'm starting to wonder if she's Nan, posting behind an alias.
Because I called you out on a misogynistic comment, you think I'm someone else? If I were going to post behind an alias, I wouldn't pick someone who actually exists. I hold two elected positions, both of which are easily verified, so that 'theory' is beyond ignorant.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:58 PM

Well this has escalated quickly.

To dispel the Nan's alias theory, Amandarthegreat has posted in the past that she is a community representative in the FROC (Fair Rivers Oaks Council). Therefore, she's not Nan Whaley but she is involved in the community and cares about what happens here. And she certainly has not defended Nan Whaley's policies in the past.

Also, I don't see anywhere where she alluded to race. Nowhere at all.
I think her comments are being read into too much. She is only describing her own experiences riding RTA.
And having walked past the hub numerous times, I can say that I would +1 what she said.

It's fine, but there are "hooligans" that have the potential to cause trouble but normally talk a lot more game then they have. That and police officers, downtown ambassadors, etc. keep them in check so the hub is safe. There are always eyes on the street.

[possible tangent - mods feel free to cut]
I feel as a white person that large groups of other races are intimidating. It's simple human nature to not feel afraid of the unknown. There's a reason why most African Americans do not choose to live in small rural towns - because they would be the only one. It's a simple fear of the unknown, as well as the greater possibility of risk and harm. I certainly understand and do not condemn instinctive fear members of any race would have about being the only person of their kind in a group of other races.

So in this paragraph (which I assume is the one that caused offense):
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amandarthegreat
It's not. It's just that some Daytonites freak out when black people cluster. Couple that with the classist hatred of public transit riders altogether and it turns into 'Dayton is the most dangerous place of all because of RTA people!' Transportation hubs around the world attract pickpockets and the occasional weirdo (Termini in Rome is especially bad), but here, they lose their everloving minds
especially the bolded section, I don't think the seemingly implied "Therefore, all of you posting above me are racist" exists.
It's just a simple statement that we fear the unknown, and Daytonians have the ability to cluster by race so we do. So what doesn't look like us become unknown, and "dangerous". Not a good combo, but it's what we have.

So I suggest that we stop thinking each other is insinuating name calling and we instead recognize we each come with subconscious personal biases that impact our perception of the world, for better or worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
View detailed profiles of: