Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 12:06 PM

34 posts, read 39,067 times

Advertisements

Dayton Together said a few days ago that they are suspending there campaign because the City of Dayton bought 28 acres in surrounding Greene county to stop a county merger. I think that the city is trying to destroy itself. A metro government is what Dayton needs to thrive. Dayton has all the potential to grow but with no real leadership it cant. I feel the city has taken are right away to chose to implement a city/county government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2016, 01:27 PM

12,076 posts, read 23,189,033 times
A metro government will take resources paid for by others and suck them into the cosmic black hole of Dayton. Dayton needs to pull its own head out of its ass.

Old 05-20-2016, 03:50 PM

2,194 posts, read 3,839,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
A metro government will take resources paid for by others and suck them into the cosmic black hole of Dayton. Dayton needs to pull its own head out of its ass.
This is the credited response as long as people like Nan are at the helm. See their most recently attempt to turn the traffic cameras back on, as they're a moneymaking machine for the city - by being a predator towards its own citizens.

Old 05-20-2016, 08:54 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,144,820 times
From what I understood of the proposal it essentially eliminated the city of Dayton and its government while merging its jurisdiction into the county. I think it would have been an idea worth exploring had it not been blocked, but the time for it was 1960, like Indy did, not now, for this specific proposal.

That being said there has to be a way to start cutting overlapping services

Last edited by SWOH; 05-20-2016 at 10:14 PM..

Old 05-20-2016, 09:46 PM

7,069 posts, read 16,692,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOH View Post
From what I understood of the proposal it essentially eliminated the city of Dayton and it's government while merging its jurisdiction into the county. I think it would have been an idea worth exploring had it not been blocked, but the time for it was 1960, like Indy did, not now, for this specific proposal.

That being said there has to be a way to start cutting overlapping services
Dayton really really needs to merge. Lots of problems can be solved there this way.

Old 05-21-2016, 10:09 AM

74 posts, read 93,534 times
Dayton in my opinion has a lot of challenges. I used to live there and so that is the reason I am taking an interest. I voted for metro government in Louisville and as Peter1948 alludes in his post has been very successful. I believe metro government for the most part has been successful in Jacksonville, Nashville, Louisville and Indianapolis. A number of places have tried it – where has it failed? Dayton maybe a different case because of its close proximity to Columbus and Cincinnati. I don’t know if metro government would be as successful but it certainly is something to be studied. I do believe Dayton is the "roots" of the area and if you want the plant to grow you better take care of the roots.

Old 05-21-2016, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Dayton really really needs to merge. Lots of problems can be solved there this way.
In order for any merger to work you have to have a proper answer to the following statement (or something along these lines):

"From my cold dead hands... I'll never let a bloviating gasbag like Nan Whaley be my mayor."

Until the regionalism advocates can overcome the toxicity of Dayton City Hall, merger will continue to be a nonstarter.

Old 05-21-2016, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterman71 View Post
Dayton in my opinion has a lot of challenges. I used to live there and so that is the reason I am taking an interest. I voted for metro government in Louisville and as Peter1948 alludes in his post has been very successful. I believe metro government for the most part has been successful in Jacksonville, Nashville, Louisville and Indianapolis. A number of places have tried it – where has it failed? Dayton maybe a different case because of its close proximity to Columbus and Cincinnati. I don’t know if metro government would be as successful but it certainly is something to be studied. I do believe Dayton is the "roots" of the area and if you want the plant to grow you better take care of the roots.
As a counterpoint to metro government, I would be curious to see how much growth Oldham County (or any outlying county) has seen since the merger?

Old 05-21-2016, 11:47 AM

74 posts, read 93,534 times
Yes that may be interesting. But keep in mind there are some pretty interesting things going on in KY - different from Ohio. Before the merger the school system was already merged as Jefferson County Public Schools (JCPS). It was a pretty good school system unlike some of our failing inner city schools. Oldham County had even better schools and that is one reason people wanted to move there. Many people located to Indiana because the taxes and cost of living was a little lower over there. So these are considerations outside the merger. The police force became merged and I assume is operating more efficiently.

There are a lot of efficiencies at work in KY and I find the state more progressive than Ohio. There seems to be a real sense of “we” in Louisville as a community. Is it due to the merged education system? Consequently, it seems like they can do great things like world class development of their riverfront, construction of beautiful cable stay bridges, etc. None of this was the cheapest way to get the job done but what I believe is happening to some degree is we are seeing a community at work that believes in itself and wants the best.

Of course the main reason so many great things are happening in Louisville is they have a secret agenda to acquire an NBA team. I believe it will happen! LOL!

Old 05-21-2016, 11:48 AM

7,069 posts, read 16,692,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
In order for any merger to work you have to have a proper answer to the following statement (or something along these lines):

"From my cold dead hands... I'll never let a bloviating gasbag like Nan Whaley be my mayor."

Until the regionalism advocates can overcome the toxicity of Dayton City Hall, merger will continue to be a nonstarter.
Out of all the big 5 Ohio cities I have spent the least time in Dayton...so this whole political corruption thing intrigues me. I really think Dayton could be a nice mid sized town but has alot of work to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton