Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2016, 01:03 PM

7 posts, read 15,379 times

Advertisements

-Where you are working?
Dayton Children's

-How much you are willing to spend on housing?
Renting for a year, up to $2000 per month

-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate
Up to 60 minutes

-If you have kids: Private school or public school?
n/a

-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight?
Open to any, but as single female, safety is key for me. I've lived in a small "hippy" town, a loft in a major city, a house in a gated community. They all, while different, were enjoyable.
BTW, not sure if there's a rental market there, but how long is the commute from Yellow Springs?

-Community amenities important to you?
Parks, shopping, low crime rate

-Pie or cake?
Cake, lol

Thanks in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2016, 07:00 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,053,915 times
YS is definitely doable to Dayton Children's. Some open country roads in the winter for part of the way, but that should only present a problem a handful times of year. Just drive slow and give extra time and distance.

It may be hard to find a rental remotely, but there will be signs in windows and on lawns. Plus, I'm sure the local paper for Yellow Springs will have a listing of rentals (it is a small community, so classifieds may still have a place). $2000/month should go far enough in YS (or much of Dayton and its suburbs, less you want a 3000+ sqft home in a good school district). It might not be as good as other suburban areas or South Park, St. Anne's Hill and Oregon District in Dayton. That would be due to supply and demand. There is a sore lack of new development in/around YS to accommodate the desire for people to live there.

If YS doesn't work out, I'd check out parts of Kettering around Town and Country Shopping Center or the small multi-units near the Shops at Oakwood (stay west of Shroyer, as the multi-units east are not as nice and are in a more run down part of Kettering).

There are also a large number of young professionals living near the Fairfield Mall. That is in part the university's grad student population and the Air Force Base's workforce. There is also a new hospital over there. Newer apartments would be Lofts at Willow Creek and Ashton Brooke. The Beavercreek side (south side) of I-675 along Pentagon/New-Germany Trebein Roads is going to be nicer. I wouldn't say there are any complexes to avoid due to safety. Some condos back there as well which might show up in rental ads. I would avoid Fairborn/Beavercreek north of I-675 since it has more undergrads in complexes (in part because those are walkable to Wright State). Zink Road will have a lot of complexes, but some are geared towards students exclusively. The rest are probably majority students (grads and undergrads). There have been safety issue that direction, likely from naive students not paying attention to surroundings or locking their apartments up.

Again, $2000/month will go far. I doubt you'll need to spend the whole thing.

Old 06-13-2016, 07:38 PM

14,635 posts, read 14,499,477 times
If not YS (which is insular and difficult to find rentals), you can check central Dayton if you want something urban. There are lofts downtown, as well as historic districts with tight-knit neighborhood associations like South Park, St Anne's Hill and McPhearson.

Old 06-13-2016, 08:11 PM

1,328 posts, read 1,434,396 times
On top of what has already been mentioned, I would check out West Kettering.

Old 06-14-2016, 04:56 AM

909 posts, read 1,407,996 times
There are lots of people in Yellow Springs who want to have someone rent a room or some portion of their house, if you can't find a rental on your own. There are two good ways to get from Yellow Springs to Dayton Children's, taking US 68 north to I 70 west to OH 4 south, and route 4 has an exit right next to the hospital, or taking Dayton-Yellow Springs Rd. west to I 675 south to US 35 west to some Dayton city streets that you'd spend a few minutes on to get to the hospital. The first way is longer is distance, but the faster roads should make it pretty equal to the other. Both should be slightly under a half an hour in good traffic. Because Greene County is faster at salting major roads, the second way is better when it has recently snowed.

Old 06-22-2016, 07:44 AM

274 posts, read 250,535 times
Apartments for Rent in Kettering, OH - 162 Rentals

Been here for four years, renting one of the 3-br homes in the villas.

They're a little drafty in the winter, but we're from upstate NY and own plenty of sweaters and sweatshirts! Nice and clean and quiet, the way the three of us like it!!

They also include appliances, which I found is NOT a "given" when renting in the Dayton Area

Good Luck!! Didn't catch where you are moving from, but I think you're gonna love the Dayton area!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton