Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Dayton's city council pass a resolution correcting Trump's first flight in NC claim?
Yes, Dayton's City Council should grasp this opportunity to explain Dayton's claim to first flight. 8 40.00%
No, the common belief is that first flight took place in NC and Dayton should forget it 6 30.00%
I don't care 6 30.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 04:06 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,301,391 times

Advertisements

Notice the "no" is at 0 right now. LOL. Another nonsensical move by 45
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 06:04 PM

7,081 posts, read 8,943,199 times
Trump said something stupid? Color me shocked

Old 02-22-2017, 06:22 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,943,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
I wonder if the Dayton media and politicians, let alone Ohio politicians, will pick up on Trump's comments today that the first airplane was flown in North Carolina.

See especially posts 15 and 18:

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ers-may-4.html

Does North Carolina's claim to first flight offend Dayton residents?

I often wondered how southeast Ohio, let alone Ohio in general, would have Thomas Edison represent Ohio in the Capitol's Statuary Hall rather than the Wright brothers. Edison was merely born in Ohio and didn't even grow up here. James Garfield himself would probably recognize the preeminence of the Wright brothers' accomplishments, as each state is limited to two representatives. And 7 Ohioans have served as President, and, due to his assassination, Garfield likely does not rank among the most important, even though he may have bee the most admirable of the lot.

https://www.aoc.gov/capitol-hill/nat...n/nsh-location
Why is it only now that this is an issue? Oh, because it's Donald Trump.

No one seemed to have a problem with NC's ''First in Flight'' license plates all these past several years. Why haven't the Dayton media and politicians, let alone Ohio politicians pick up on the NC's license plates?

NC's license plate logo has done more to have people think the first flight was there=the battle for 1st flight claim is over. What's next, Trump said it's partly cloudy when it's actually partly sunny?

Give it a rest.

Last edited by Kamms; 02-22-2017 at 06:36 PM..

Old 02-22-2017, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Of all the BS he's mandated so far, this is probably ladt in my list. I'm a little more concerned about toxic waste being dumped in the Ohio River.
Seriously, now First in Flight statement scandal....lol.

Old 02-22-2017, 06:50 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,753,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Why is it only now that this is an issue? Oh, because it's Donald Trump.

No one seemed to have a problem with NC's ''First in Flight'' license plates all these past several years. Why haven't the Dayton media and politicians, let alone Ohio politicians pick up on the NC's license plates?

NC's license plate logo has done more to have people think the first flight was there=the battle for 1st flight claim is over. What's next, Trump said it's partly cloudy when it's actually partly sunny?

Give it a rest.

Hope you see this, friend.

In 1936 Henry Ford hauled the 1903 bicycle shop and the Wright family home up to Michigan. People didn't think very clearly and thought everything of importance was gone except maybe Orville's home.

It takes an Act of Congress to do something like create a U.S. national park.

Old 02-22-2017, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathianPeasant View Post
Hope you see this, friend.

In 1936 Henry Ford hauled the 1903 bicycle shop and the Wright family home up to Michigan. People didn't think very clearly and thought everything of importance was gone except maybe Orville's home.

It takes an Act of Congress to do something like create a U.S. national park.
Don't know what you're talking about here. Sorry.

Again, why didn't anyone complain about NC's license plates?

Old 02-22-2017, 08:10 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,753,089 times
Quote:
Don't know what you're talking about here. Sorry.

Again, why didn't anyone complain about NC's license plates?
1. To Whom? And, why? Dayton's motto for decades was "Birthplace of Aviation."

Old 02-22-2017, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathianPeasant View Post
1. To Whom? And, why? Dayton's motto for decades was "Birthplace of Aviation."
Nobody knows that Dayton motto. NC's license plates ''trumped'' it on this point with its First In Flight slogan. First in Flight way catchier than Birthplace of Aviation. Dayton should have moved on NC about it but now that Trump is involved everyone is harping about it.

Snooze you lose, Dayton.

Old 02-23-2017, 03:34 AM

3,513 posts, read 5,160,534 times
Quote:
First in Flight way catchier than Birthplace of Aviation.
That's debatable.

Also, Birthplace of Aviation was on Ohio license plates for ages.
I'd be a fan of bringing it back, in larger font.

Old 02-23-2017, 03:59 AM

247 posts, read 363,814 times
Quote:
Nobody knows that Dayton motto. NC's license plates ''trumped'' it on this point with its First In Flight slogan. First in Flight way catchier than Birthplace of Aviation. Dayton should have moved on NC about it but now that Trump is involved everyone is harping about it.

Snooze you lose, Dayton.
I grew up in NE Ohio and knew that motto as a kid. We had to learn that, and the history behind it, in Ohio History in 7th grade. Are you even from Ohio?

Also, you could ask my husband whether "no one complains" about the stupid NC license plates. He only has to hear me mutter and give a five minute lecture on it every time I see one, and we don't even live inOhio right now. It's so inaccurate it's not even funny. There is absolutely no significance to a flight lasting less than the time it takes me to chew a piece of double mint gum into tastelessness. Having a piece of geography where ONE test was made, even the first, is nothing. The significance is in the invention itself, the place where it was created, and the place where not only that model but later, actually successful models were tested. And the phrase "First in Flight" isn't even accurate. It should be "First in Powered Flight", since the Wright brother performed other flight experiments in other places. And once they had their good test flight, they never went back. Tell me how that makes NC a significant place for aviation. The motto might as well be "We Have Great Wind!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton