Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Dayton's city council pass a resolution correcting Trump's first flight in NC claim?
Yes, Dayton's City Council should grasp this opportunity to explain Dayton's claim to first flight. 8 40.00%
No, the common belief is that first flight took place in NC and Dayton should forget it 6 30.00%
I don't care 6 30.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 12:22 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,943,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by merewenc View Post
The point of the post was derailed by post #3. I did read all the posts. Most people seem to care more about who gets the credit than whether Trump made another ill-informed public statement. This isn't shocking anyone anymore. Kind of like when Bush Jr. would fumble through a speech. We kind of got used to it.

And I know that, sadly, very few people in the world care about the actual events in history. It's much easier to go along with what everyone else thinks--again, something Trump is ever so good at doing. This won't be the first nor the last time that this particular failing of his is pointed out. It just happened to have something to do with Dayton this time, which is why anyone bothered to post about it in the first place. Since catching Trump and Co out in falsehoods is a very easy thing to do right now, OP's question was whether or not the Dayton community should use the momentum of Trump's notoriety to push knowledge of TRUE history to the public on something that OP apparently has an opinion on. OP also asked if other people have any feelings on the subject:

Thus, explaining that yes, the claim by NC is annoying to some of us from Ohio is still on topic as posted by the OP. What isn't on topic, and does derail the discussion somewhat, is pointless questions asking why everyone has to hate on Donald Trump.

Taking this tone shows that you don't understand the point of the OP at all. You're just assuming that it's a mindless hate on Trump. Maybe not. Maybe OP thinks that taking advantage of the situation could at least bring something good for Dayton, i.e. getting out the message that OP thinks is important. It wouldn't be the first time that a politician's faults were used to the advantage of other people, from their friends to their adversaries, and I very much doubt that it would be the last.

Furthermore,

All I did was give anecdotal evidence that yes, there are people who have been annoyed for a while. Usually the people who live near Wright-Patt or who are native Ohioans who live near a military base with lots of NC servicemembers. It gets talked about/complained about/discussed. No, no one has been able or willing to front a movement to educate the general public as to why NC is, in the end, wrong, but that is why OP asked their question. Again, using Donald Trump's notoriety could get out the desired message in a way that the general public would remember. The idea actually has some merit, although I doubt it would be taken seriously unless a national news outlet picked up the headline.

Now continually harping on this and how everyone should leave poor Donald Trump alone when the man publicizes his failings at every turn? That's derailing the topic.
Umm, the topic of the thread is ''Trump bestows first flight label on North Carolina'' coupled with a voting poll entitled ''Should Dayton's City Council pass a resolution correcting Trump's first in flight in NC claim?".

No one said that everyone should leave poor DT alone but on this topic, yes, give it a rest. This is reaching for straws and is embarrassing to Dayton to only now have a ''resolution'' correcting this whole topic only because it's Trump. Why no resolution against NC when it started the whole ''First In Flight'' slogan? So, the topic, the poll, and thread related to Trump only.

Sounds like some Ohioans are just ticked off that their state went red in 2016....lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2017, 01:27 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,452,032 times
Any American should try telling a Brazilian the Wright brothers invented the airplane.

Old 02-26-2017, 06:27 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,161,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtheftV View Post
It won't do any good.

This is largely a US forum, but in any comments to any article about American achievements, inevitably, someone from Brazil will say that the first flight came from the mind of Santos Dumont and before that ( or just after that ), someone from France will say that it was Clément Ader.

I think that the idea that anyone gets all puffed-up with pride over some invention that happened over 100 years ago in the same general area is nuts.

My house was a 10 minute walk away from Hawthorn Hill. I love the tale of the Wright Brothers and their achievement. I never derived any pride from that tale. I derive intellectual stimulation from great achievements, no matter who did it or where.

Every time I visit Dayton, I get real tired of the over-sell and all the W-F replicas all over ... of course, I'm a consummate curmudgeon. I might just have a bad attitude. I'm pretty sure I do.
Good point, everybody's got their story, that's for sure.

At the very least it's impossible to argue against the fact that the Wright Bros manufactured the first commercially viable plane and flew it here, right here at Huffman Prairie.

As for the wright flyer replicas, it looks like there is still a capital campaign going for the big statue one at I--70 and I-75... and I'm still not sure how I feel about it haha.

Old 02-27-2017, 05:07 PM

4,241 posts, read 7,176,546 times
Quote:
"Good point, everybody's got their story, that's for sure."
I think it was a Frenchman..Bleriot?.... who has a good claim for the first viable airplane since his could take off under its own power. The Wright Brothers used a launcher at first, and I think this French guy beat them to actually taking off under-power.

And it was Glenn Curtis who came up with the standard design of propellers in front vs that pusher concept the Wrights used

Santos Dumont invented the airship, which was quite an achievement in it's own right, but not the same as an airplane.

But I think what you can see that around that time in history a lot of people where on the track on how to fly, and it was only a matter of time before someone actually lifted-off. It just so happens it was the Wrights....and they lifted off in North Carolina. And when it happened you had this flurry of other people flying and pushing the technology forward.

The time was ripe.....

As for Trump (different subject), this is Trump Country. Of all the larger urban counties in Ohio, or the mid-Ohio valley for that matter, Trump carried just one...Montgomery. In the primaries Trump did well in the surrounding countryside (like, say, Preble and Darke Counties) and I bet he came in 2nd to Kasich in Greene and Montgomery.

Old 02-27-2017, 08:32 PM

1,870 posts, read 1,901,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
But I think what you can see that around that time in history a lot of people where on the track on how to fly, and it was only a matter of time before someone actually lifted-off. It just so happens it was the Wrights....and they lifted off in North Carolina.
Yup. They didn't just lift-off, but flew many times - Wilber then Orville then ..... and so on.

The thing that made their achievement "flight" was the ability to do figure-eights at any altitude they wanted. They landed and took off in the same "contraption" over and over.

Unfortunately for Dayton, the next decade was spent defending patents rather than further innovating. It's a shame since their innovations at the start were "awesome" and the sum of their innovations made their contraption fly.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:33 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,435,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtheftV View Post
Yup. They didn't just lift-off, but flew many times - Wilber then Orville then ..... and so on.

The thing that made their achievement "flight" was the ability to do figure-eights at any altitude they wanted. They landed and took off in the same "contraption" over and over.

Unfortunately for Dayton, the next decade was spent defending patents rather than further innovating. It's a shame since their innovations at the start were "awesome" and the sum of their innovations made their contraption fly.
The problem was that Wilbur Wright likely was the aeronautical genius and driving force behind the development of the Wright Flyers and he died in 1912.

Old 03-01-2017, 03:28 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,301,680 times
If it's not on Wikpedia, it's probably not true

Old 04-02-2019, 07:16 AM

My point in originally starting this thread was that Trump's comments would have given Dayton's leaders a perfect opportunity to promote both historical reality and Dayton's tourism industry. It bothered me, and still bothers me, that Ohioans and Daytonians especially don't defend Dayton as the birthplace of aviation.

What became obvious in this thread is that many posters failed to understand that the Wrights were considered charlatans, even by Dayton's leaders of the time, until they perfected the Wright Flyer III in 1905, patented it, and then shocked the world and became national and Dayton heroes with their demonstration flights in 1908. If anybody else had perfected the airplane, they never demonstrated their invention to the satisfaction of the entire world before the Wright demonstration flights.

The Wright Flyer I did not lift off and land, and definitely never flew figure 8s!!! The Wright Flyer I never flew more than 900 feet, with the aid of Kitty Hawk's substantial head winds!!! Nobody today, or then, would instantly recognize the Wright Flyer I as an airplane.

1903 Wright Flyer I

Although it seems obvious today, one of the big innovations of the Wright Flyer III, perfected at Huffman Prairie Flying Field, is that the Wrights for the first time provided a separate rudder control. Imagine trying to fly a plane where the roll and yaw controls were interconnected!

From August to October, 1905, is when the first airplane, recognizable as such by anyone, took to the air, and these first flights took place at Dayton's Huffman Prairie Flying Field.

https://www.asme.org/about-asme/who-...ight-flyer-iii

https://airandspace.si.edu/exhibitio...908/europe.cfm

He Flies!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MysW0vRwO08

A recent thread on C-D reinforces my contention that Dayton has badly managed and capitalized on the tourism potential of its aviation history attractions. Note the exclusion (post 1) of Dayton from a list of Midwest cities as tourism destinations that includes Ann Arbor, Duluth, Des Moines, Grand Rapid and Fargo! See post 35.

//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...rism-rank.html

It continues to sadden me that Huffman Prairie Flying Field is poorly visited, and that visitors (based on reading tripadvisor.com reviews) to the Wright National Museum at Carillon Historical Park doesn't understand the significance of the Wright Flyer III.

Last edited by WRnative; 04-02-2019 at 08:19 AM..

Old 04-02-2019, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
The problem was that Wilbur Wright likely was the aeronautical genius and driving force behind the development of the Wright Flyers and he died in 1912.
A new book, "Wright Brothers, Wrong Story," explains how Wilbur Wright was the driven genius behind the invention of the first airplane.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smith...ght-180970714/

Old 04-07-2019, 10:05 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,753,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
My point in originally starting this thread was that Trump's comments would have given Dayton's leaders a perfect opportunity to promote both historical reality and Dayton's tourism industry. It bothered me, and still bothers me, that Ohioans and Daytonians especially don't defend Dayton as the birthplace of aviation.
Most never comprehended the significance and more. Further, after the Wright home and the 1903 bicycle shop were hauled up to Michigan, many people thought there was nothing left in Dayton.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton