Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2016, 05:46 PM

214 posts, read 325,496 times

Advertisements

Hi there, I just have a few questions about the area, if you don't mind.

1) Do you know anything about in home ABA services for children with autism? Or where I can find information on this? I have two children with autism that I homeschool, so I would need the services to be in home (or at least in a facility as opposed to a school.)

2) How are the winters? We get 10 feet of snow per year where we live, so I'm looking for something significantly more mild.

3) Do you get "Palmetto bugs" or flying roaches that live outside of your house and wander in 3+ times per month? Most of the other locations we've considered that have "mild winters" also come with these horrendous bugs, which are total deal breakers for me.

4) Generally speaking, is this a good place to raise a family? If you could give any examples of family friendly things to do, that would be helpful.

I might have more questions later, depending on the answers. Thank you in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2016, 07:31 PM

7,077 posts, read 8,937,659 times
I don't know about in home but there is Trumpet behavioral health on Dayton Yellow Springs Rd in Fairborn, Applied Behavioral Services on Technical Dr. in Miamisburg. I believe Key does in home ABA.

Key Behavior Services

I work as a direct support person for someone who is PDD-NOS through Benchmark Human Services, they have an office in Dayton on Poe Ave. but I don't believe we have staff that are board certified in the ABA field.

Winters are not too bad, the worst will be 2 feet of snow total but usually it's less, one snowfall will melt before the next one hits so it does not accumulate the way it does in the northeast. I lived in the area during the blizzard of 1977 and the blizzard of 1978 and we have not had anything that bad since.

We do not have palmetto bugs but we do have Japanese beetles in June but you can treat your lawn with grubex in May, stink bugs in September that are flat enough to make it under the front door of your house they can be kept out with a self stick door sweep and in October some areas get a variant of the ladybug in swarms that were imported to eradicate pests but those are mostly in southeast Ohio.

Areas outside of the city may be better for families, a lot of people will live in a smaller town beyond the suburbs just for the better schools but you should be able to find an area with activities that are suitable for the interests of your kids. If they like the outdoors there is the Germantown Dam Conservancy district, Caesar's Creek is not too far away, then there is the National Museum of the Air Force that has free admission.

Old 11-07-2016, 07:53 PM

1,328 posts, read 1,446,655 times
Also, the Boonshoft Museum of Discovery. There are plenty more if you can give specifics on what you are looking for. I have lived in the area my entire life, but have visited Seattle, San Diego, etc.... where other family has lived. I love this area. It is hard not to find the right place for you and what you are looking for. Is it perfect? Far from it. I just think you have to try hard not to like it here (sadly, plenty do).

Old 11-07-2016, 07:55 PM

1,328 posts, read 1,446,655 times
https://www.autismspeaks.org/resourc...sis%20(ABA)/oh

Applied Behavioral Services - Home

Old 11-08-2016, 03:36 AM

908 posts, read 1,417,714 times
I'm no longer involved with them, but the people at DARN (Dayton Asperger's Resource Network) probably know who the best ABA therapists are for various different price ranges.
Dayton Aspergers Resource Network

Old 11-08-2016, 05:17 PM

214 posts, read 325,496 times
Thank you for the responses! My husband's job has a location here, so that is the main reason we would consider the area. It honestly wasn't even on my radar until someone happened to mention on a forum for children with special needs that there are scholarships for services available for children who are homeschooled.

Wherever we end up moving to, I think that the general plan is to rent for a year, hopefully for $1,500 per month or less, then to purchase a home if we are happy with the move. We might want to spend around $150k. Is that a reasonable plan for the area?

I've only been to Ohio once, when I was in college. I drove through most of the state, down to Cincinnati, but we didn't see much from the highway. The pictures I'm looking at online look nice. I like that a lot of the properties are wooded. We live out in the country right now, and I'm kind of tired of open spaces. I wouldn't mind being within walking distance of something....anything lol. It would be a dream come true to be able to walk to get a cup of coffee. Less property maintenance would also be wonderful.

Thanks again

Old 11-09-2016, 01:50 PM

12,104 posts, read 23,268,769 times
Yes, your price range is vary doable.

Old 11-13-2016, 03:46 PM

13,646 posts, read 9,701,990 times
The Dayton region enjoys a robust reputation for being conducive to raising a family, and justifiably so. Indeed, for those of us on the non-family side, the family-oriented nature of the region tends to be grating and unpleasant. I have found that persons in the stage of life, where they are starting to have children, or are raising children, or are about to send their offspring off to college, and who have moved here from more affluent/cosmopolitan locales, tend to have few qualms or regrets, and adapt sprightly. Singles and the so-called DINKs are less happy here.

Old 05-12-2017, 07:32 PM

76 posts, read 142,445 times
I realize this is an old thread but FWIW, we use Key Behavioral services for my son's ABA therapy and have been very happy. When we lived in CA we had CARD (center for autism and related disorders) but they didn't have a Dayton location. Key currently accepts Tricare, the military health insurance. As near as I can tell, no school district here provides ABA services.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton