Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 12:03 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,150,794 times

Advertisements

I retired about 6 months ago and thought I'd have moved by now but its taking longer. Sigh.
So I was thinking I should really get off my backside and see a few things before I do leave, hopefully, some day.

I have the WOHIO news feed on fb and just saw the Cox arborteum tree tower. Maybe a few too many stairs, IDK but it seemed like the sort of thing I would like. (of course it isn't open but I include that as a point of reference for my preferences).

I'm a natural homebody with no children to force me out and in my time here have not seen much. I will probably only do so many things, like maybe 10 even though I could do far more

There are things I just don't gravitate too but am willing to do once. For example I'm not interested in going to every small house or field that a Wright Brother walked in or by, but I am willing to go to the best of the honorary displays or museum.

I like more off beat things, like say a rowing (sculling) race if there ever was one (I haven't found any but that there are scullers here is sort of cool).

So, what's your recommendation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2017, 12:32 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,734,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post

I'm a natural homebody with no children to force me out and in my time here have not seen much. I will probably only do so many things, like maybe 10 even though I could do far more

There are things I just don't gravitate too but am willing to do once. For example I'm not interested in going to every small house or field that a Wright Brother walked in or by, but I am willing to go to the best of the honorary displays or museum.

Not all of the National Landmarks are Wright related. Notably SunWatch isn't.

If you are thinking 10 things to visit, the National Landmarks are a logical choice even though many of them are Wright related.

Call the National Park Service office and ask what and where they all are.

Old 06-17-2017, 07:30 AM

14,635 posts, read 14,494,458 times
Carillon Park with its preserved Dayton history (and 19th century style brewery) is pretty cool.

Dayton Art Museum of course, if you haven't been in awhile.

Clifton Gorge & Mill in Yellow Springs is worth the drive.

The Rock Garden and Frank Lloyd Wright House in Springfield also.

Old 06-17-2017, 07:53 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,282,114 times
Default Huffman Prairie Flying Field

Certainly visit the location where man first conquered the skies, as well as the adjacent native, tall-grass natural area.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huffman_Prairie

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g...The.World.html

Old 06-18-2017, 07:04 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,150,794 times
I walk at Huffman Prairie.

Thanks for the reminder about Clifton Gorge I always tell myself to get out there and then forget.
Planned on the Art Museum.
Carillon Park - is there something there besides a brewery? I can google it, thanks for bringing it up.

Old 06-18-2017, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Carillon Park - is there something there besides a brewery? I can google it, thanks for bringing it up.
The airplane.

Old 06-18-2017, 01:34 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,289,444 times
Quote:
I retired about 6 months ago and thought I'd have moved by now but its taking longer. Sigh.
So I was thinking I should really get off my backside and see a few things before I do leave, hopefully, some day.

I have the WOHIO news feed on fb and just saw the Cox arborteum tree tower. Maybe a few too many stairs, IDK but it seemed like the sort of thing I would like. (of course it isn't open but I include that as a point of reference for my preferences).

I like more off beat things, like say a rowing (sculling) race if there ever was one (I haven't found any but that there are scullers here is sort of cool).

Tower is closed. It's being repaired

Old 06-18-2017, 07:15 PM

12,060 posts, read 23,089,443 times
The air force museum and the art institute should be on your list.

Old 06-18-2017, 07:32 PM

14,635 posts, read 14,494,458 times
Quote:
I walk at Huffman Prairie.

Thanks for the reminder about Clifton Gorge I always tell myself to get out there and then forget.
Planned on the Art Museum.
The first airplane, as Carp stated, the first house in Dayton (Newcom Tavern), plus quite a bit of artifacts from all the major Dayton innovators (not just the Wrights).

Old 06-18-2017, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
The first airplane, as Carp stated, the first house in Dayton (Newcom Tavern), plus quite a bit of artifacts from all the major Dayton innovators (not just the Wrights).
Carp? Oh, Please...! CP or Peasant!

(Off topic, I know.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton