Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 05:01 PM

6 posts, read 9,488 times

Advertisements

Im in my first semester studying Imaging Science (Radiology). I thought this would be a good career and after I was done with my degree, I was going to go to Sinclair and get my certification in MRI, Sonography, Etc.... Anyway every where I look, I hear theres too many graduates and not enough jobs. So then I looked at Respiratory Therapy, and same thing. So my last idea was to do police work and get a 2 year degree in that. My father was a police officer for 21 years and said it was the best decision he made in his life. But to me its my third and last option. And i heard thats saturated too! I'm about to just get into CNC and forget trying to do upper middle class work!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2014, 05:07 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,305,667 times
Yes, those careers have been popular for awhile and jobs are tough to come by. I don't know about the police departments, but what about the military? Always hiring

Old 11-13-2014, 05:15 PM

I dont really want to join the military sorry lol I thought about it but no. So whats better a trade or healthcare?

Old 11-13-2014, 05:48 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,162,738 times
Did you complete any of these degrees yet?

If you have, I'd go for a bachelors in one of those areas if possible. See how your current credits transfer in and get some advice on what degree programs you could complete the fastest.

Otherwise, if you're really looking for a change, try software engineering. Job prospects seem to be good around here.

Old 11-13-2014, 05:50 PM

My sister got a masters from Miami in computer science and got a job with UD right out of college. I dont want to deal with computers, I did that for a little in high school and I didnt care for it. Just making sure what I'm doing I can get a job in.

Old 11-13-2014, 06:06 PM

1,328 posts, read 1,449,247 times
My advice would be to find something you like and stick with it. You aren't always going to get a job right when you graduate, but it is worth it. I'd rather take some time and work doing something I like than get a job early doing something I don't. This is going to be something you do for 30+ years. That doesn't mean you don't look at other options, but never quit going for what you want.

Old 11-13-2014, 06:21 PM

Ok OP, there is one other excellent path I can think of that you might like. Just as an FYI, it's the path I completed.

Supply Chain management. There's a lot of demand for good purchasing agents and logistics coordinators out there. Sinclair offers a good bachelors degree in it. Or come to Miami (where I am) and do our program. Job placement is right around 100%, but you will need good stats to get in to the business school.

Downside is pay is not too good. 3PL's hire a lot of people, but they pay only around $35k a year. Purchasing agents make more, but your ability to advance is limited in most organizations since you won't have a ton of knowledge about the actual products or services your organization provides. Unless you want to work in merchandising for a retailer, then you're not in the best possible position you can be if you want to move up the ranks. But for retailing, buyers rule over all. Keep in mind those retail buying jobs don't exist around Dayton - they do have a lot of them in Columbus though. That's why I'm still in school haha - I found to stay in the Dayton area and make a career of it I needed to build a skill set in mechanical engineering.

Otherwise, accountants seem to be in demand. All you need is a bachelors degree in something plus 30 semester hours of accounting courses above and beyond that degree for 150 semester hours total to qualify for the CPA exam. It seems like you should have a decent number of credit hours, so if you go this route it would make logical sense to get the easiest, lowest barrier degree you can (like sociology) and then do the extra hours at Sinclair and sit for the CPA.

Good luck!

Old 11-13-2014, 06:25 PM

I want to do something in healthcare, I want to help people in a direct way. I looked into nursing but it isn't my style (my mom does it). So I was between PTA or Imaging and almost all the jobs I find for PT are part time. I guess I'll just finish this out and stay on track, because if you listen to everyone on these forums, they will say that every job you look at is saturated and there are no jobs. Ignorance is bliss.

Old 11-13-2014, 07:27 PM

^Ah, yeah if you want to stay in healthcare I won't be much of a help.

All I can say is do you follow the job posting Kettering and Premier put up? Match your skills to what they are seeking in their applicants and that should go a long way. That and a good education from a local institution.

Good luck!

Old 11-13-2014, 08:23 PM

1,328 posts, read 1,449,247 times
Yeah, I know there are always a lot of openings, but I couldn't tell you what for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton