Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2024, 02:48 PM

13,642 posts, read 9,698,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I think the 2024 test scores just came out and Xenia did fine in those, for the record. Four schools were in Ohio's Best Schools, including one of the schools in the area I am looking in.
Just out of curiosity, how do those scores compare with those of Centerville, Oakwood, Bellbrook or Yellow Springs? And in contrast, with those of Fairborn, Riverside or Xenia-city?

My point isn't to indulge in cultural condescension, but to raise awareness, that the Dayton metro area is highly variegated. Because there are so many options in relative proximity, prospective homeowners can be choosy about their zip codes. There's a feedback loop, where the more prosperous areas have better schools, which attracts the sort of people who are mindful of education, raising locally the property values, and so on.

I never had kids, and made the mistake of believing that for me, school districts don't matter. They do! They impact not only property values, but are shockingly dispositive in selecting of neighbors. Does one have much in common with one's neighbors? That depends, so strongly, on the schools.

A large difference in experience between myself and my former work-colleagues, is that so many of these, deliberately chose areas like Oakwood, knowing that the tax burden was high (or Washington Township, where oddly enough, the tax burden is much lower). Everything from how neighbors greet each other curbside, to the local restaurants and retail, depend on the local affluence... correlated with the schools. My own experience was decidedly Appalachian, so to speak. A 10 mile drive was like going from Eastern Kentucky, to the northern suburbs of Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2024, 03:23 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Just out of curiosity, how do those scores compare with those of Centerville, Oakwood, Bellbrook or Yellow Springs? And in contrast, with those of Fairborn, Riverside or Xenia-city?

My point isn't to indulge in cultural condescension, but to raise awareness, that the Dayton metro area is highly variegated. Because there are so many options in relative proximity, prospective homeowners can be choosy about their zip codes. There's a feedback loop, where the more prosperous areas have better schools, which attracts the sort of people who are mindful of education, raising locally the property values, and so on.

I never had kids, and made the mistake of believing that for me, school districts don't matter. They do! They impact not only property values, but are shockingly dispositive in selecting of neighbors. Does one have much in common with one's neighbors? That depends, so strongly, on the schools.

A large difference in experience between myself and my former work-colleagues, is that so many of these, deliberately chose areas like Oakwood, knowing that the tax burden was high (or Washington Township, where oddly enough, the tax burden is much lower). Everything from how neighbors greet each other curbside, to the local restaurants and retail, depend on the local affluence... correlated with the schools. My own experience was decidedly Appalachian, so to speak. A 10 mile drive was like going from Eastern Kentucky, to the northern suburbs of Chicago.

I have kids, and also, my background is in real estate. I am not going to look up all those areas though because I frankly don't want to. Yellow Springs is too far from my daughter. Bellbrook and Centerville and Fairborn, had the same price ranges as Beavercreek. I looked at many, many homes and interviewed many, many builders while I was there, and I decided on Xenia. YMMV. And Beavercreek was nearly too far from my daughter for that matter. Not to mention that it was over $100,000 more expensive. Listen, I am paying cash for this home. I don't want to pay too much for it. I don't want to deplete my cash just to say I live in a better school district.

On the one hand, you talk about how high taxes are but on the other hand you talk about knowing that the tax burden is high but still choosing to live in places like Oakbrook. Hey, you know what I know? Besides downsizing in general, and putting more of my money back into the bank or investments, my utilities and property taxes and all that are going to be lower. Like I said, I plan to live here for many, many years. They ARE going to be lower and for that I am grateful. That and being closer to my family which has been a pivotal thing for me from the start.

Xenia city is all over the place, a lot like Xenia Township by the way. I know that because it's all the same school district. Tecumseh Elementary is in the top twenty percent of all schools in Ohio. Oh, Warner Middle School (the one in "my" district) also ranked really high in 2024.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 02-22-2024 at 03:32 PM..

Old 02-24-2024, 01:35 PM

Well, the radon testing may be the death of all this brouhaha but whatever. I like the house but I don't want lung cancer to get it!

I would pay for it myself, but it will be expensive ($3300 and up, close to $10,000) because the house is built over a crawlspace, not a basement, and the crawlspace has to be enclosed. Argh! So I am asking for a certain amount. I will keep the thread posted!

Old 02-24-2024, 02:37 PM

I am learning all sorts of things.

Old 02-25-2024, 09:02 AM

50,336 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Not at this point. I am getting bids on mitigation and will do a counter offer. I am still within the 14 days for inspections.
FYI, ours cost about $850. but that was in 2010, and we had a basement. We were so annoyed to get the radon, “hot potato” after living in Ohio for 40 years, and never heard of it.

Old 02-25-2024, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post

As I told KA earlier, my grandkids went to Centerville and the schools were fantastic and so were the sports programs. The property taxes were killer, though. You get what you pay for.

Old 02-25-2024, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
FYI, ours cost about $850. but that was in 2010, and we had a basement. We were so annoyed to get the radon, “hot potato” after living in Ohio for 40 years, and never heard of it.
Well, it was 14 years ago and a basement, so there's that. Who knows? All I do know is that if it's cancer, I am probably going to get it. I've already had one type, my dad had cancer, and my dad's mom had cancer. So there's just no telling. Apparently there is a lot of radon throughout Ohio.

Old 02-25-2024, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
As I told KA earlier, my grandkids went to Centerville and the schools were fantastic and so were the sports programs. The property taxes were killer, though. You get what you pay for.
True but the homes also tend to be a lot more expensive as well. Who knows. Anyway, I don't even know if the radon thing is going to work out with the home in Xenia Township. At least the schools are improving in that area which is important. Two of the three public schools in that area (elementary and middle school) are already in the top percentile of schools in Ohio for the year 2024.

The sellers asked for time through Thursday to get more quotes and more bids, whatever. I say do it but just send the plans over to me before I agree to anything.

Old 02-25-2024, 03:31 PM

I lived in Ohio for 40+ years, through several houses and NOBODY ever heard of radon. Really, I think somebody found out there was money to be made on it. Your sellers are still alive after 20 years, right? Keep a clear head. You might go through the same thing the next time, and the next time.

Old 02-26-2024, 08:47 AM

Well, all I am saying is that my grandmother wasn't diagnosed with lung cancer (she never smoked) till she was 84 years old, and she died from it. My dad was diagnosed with bladder cancer but died from a stroke. Still, he suffered from it a lot. I was diagnosed with melanoma but surgery took care of it for me. I hate to say it but I feel like a marked woman. I feel like if anyone is going to get cancer it will be me! Lordy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton