Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 10:30 AM

3 posts, read 13,594 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to the Dayton area and am a professional single african american female in my 30s. I am interested in housing in Miamisburg, Springboro, Centerville and possibly West Carrollton. I have read some of the other postings about intolerance of other races in these surburbs and I want to know if people really feel I will have issues. I attended Wright State University for a year back in 1993 before transferring to a college closer to home which is Cleveland, OH. While there was not a lot of diversity at WSU during that time I don't ever recall feeling discrimination, so I was surprised to read about the segregation preferences.

What I am looking for is a quiet neighborhood where I can feel safe and people who care about their property. While I don't necessarily care if my neighbors are extremely friendly where we have weekend parties, I don't want the other extreme of them being hostile. Can anyone shed any light on this subject?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 10:36 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,574,687 times
Wow, I spent a whole lot of years in Dayton and am very familiar with the areas you mentioned. It would be news to me if there are racial tensions going on there. I would certainly hope it hasn't changed for the worse since I was last there. I still have friends there and have never heard of anything like that going on.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:12 AM

2,107 posts, read 5,052,888 times
As someone who lives in a large Dayton suburb, I'd say you would be hard pressed to find any racial tensions whatsoever. I actually think it is worse in parts of the city proper where you have a "white working-class" East Dayton and a "predominetly African American West Dayton". That's the vibe I get from Dayton anyway. But again, that seems to apply to the city, NOT the suburbs.

Of the three you listed, West Carrollton would be the cheapest, while Centerville is by far the most expensive. Care of property and keeping up with the Jones is also probably bigger in Centerville and Springboro (as it sometimes is here in my suburb), but all four will have nice neighborhoods. If you are working in downtown, I'd recommend the suburbs in this order based on commute, quality of life, and affordability: 1. Centerville 2. Springboro 3. Miamisburg 4. West Carrolton. Again, that's what I'd recommend and is only my opinion. Also, Spingboro and Centerville may flip-flop when the Austin Road interchange is completed, making commutting from parts of Springboro easier.

Old 08-28-2008, 02:58 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,430,812 times
The area roughly around the Dayton Mall and Lexis- Nexis, heading east into Centerville, is one of the more culturally and racially diverse in the Dayton area.

Old 08-28-2008, 04:39 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,870,644 times
I always thought highly of Miamisburg, and I have noticed in a lot of Dayton's suburbs that it has great diversity all about.

Old 08-28-2008, 07:27 PM

33 posts, read 146,454 times
Miamisburg is pretty diverse; I think you'd be happy there. But I'm in Springboro, and while there aren't so many minority type folks here, I've never heard of anybody feeling unwelcome because of their race or heritage.

Old 08-28-2008, 07:30 PM

Talking Thanks!

Thank you for all of your input. It never occurred to me to ask the question until I was looking at some of the threads concerning Springboro and Miamisburg and several people brought up segregation and that I might have trouble with my neighbors. I am glad to hear that is not the case.

Old 08-28-2008, 07:32 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,870,644 times
I hope we could help you in some way or another.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:42 AM

1 posts, read 4,108 times
I am writing a Doctoral Project paper on the issues of diversity in my context. I am a pastor of Miamisburg First Church of God. Did you move into the area and could you give me some feedback on what you have experienced so far?

Old 05-19-2009, 07:12 AM

Default Did not move

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrmax View Post
I am writing a Doctoral Project paper on the issues of diversity in my context. I am a pastor of Miamisburg First Church of God. Did you move into the area and could you give me some feedback on what you have experienced so far?
Sorry but I did not chose that position so I am still in the Cleveland Area, unfortunately I won't be able to answer anything about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton