Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 11:57 PM

5 posts, read 18,730 times

Advertisements

We'll be moving to the area in a few weeks and two of the rental homes we're considering are in Springboro/Miamisburg near the Dayton Wright Brothers Airport. From looking at Google maps the neighborhoods seem pretty darn close to the runway. Based on the pictures of the homes the neighborhoods look fairly new.

I know all homes near airports get noise, but since this isn't the main commercial airport I'm hoping it's not so bad. My husband will be visiting the area to househunt tomorrow and I asked him to pay attention to the noise. But he's a pilot so I don't think he'll be able to offer an objective assessment. It's all just background noise to him. lol!

Does anyone know if noise complains are common from the newer neighborhoods surrounding that airport?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 06:01 AM

93 posts, read 226,106 times
I looked at a few homes in Settler's Walk (the Springboro neighborhood next to the airport) before we moved here, a few backing up to the airport property. The air traffic at the airport is the smaller aircraft, and I didn't think the noise was significant. When looking at one house, the lawn mower next door was louder than the plane that was landing. But I've also lived on several Air Force Bases, around all types of aircraft, so everything's relative!

Old 03-24-2009, 09:21 AM

9 posts, read 22,020 times
We have a house right off of Spring Valley Pk and Washington Church Rd before we moved to NC a few months ago. The planes would fly over our house to land. They are not to bad, you just kinda have to get use to them. Most are smaller planes, but there are some private jets that land there that are louder. Sitting in our backyard they would fly right over us. The good thing is it happens during the day and evening. Considering the way the planes land, if the house is between Spring Valley Pk and Austin Pk the noise would be worse then living past the airport in Settlers Walk.
I always enjoying driving down Austin Pk when a plane was landing.

Let me know if you have any questions about that area. We lived there in our house there for 6 years and I was born and raised in that area.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:51 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,544,179 times
MaryGCD, I'm a former aircraft maintainer, so my objectivity is questionable, as well... But I believe BeckyVII and PerkyandPunctual said it well; the airport is general aviation only, so it's not really that busy anyway. And, yes, a few jets use it. But I believe it's only a matter of getting used to it. Wright-Patterson AFB is about 30 min drive North of Wright Brothers and we occasionally will see one of their assigned C-5s in a pattern above us. But that's fairly well infrequent. And, no Wright Brothers isn't an alternate for emergencies at Wright-Patt!

Old 03-24-2009, 04:19 PM

5 posts, read 18,730 times
Thanks Everyone! As I was reading your replies I heard two aircraft fly over our house here in San Diego... and we're seven miles from the closest airport. I don't mind aircraft noise but I want to avoid that window-rattling, wake-the-baby level of noise. Thanks for your help!

Old 03-30-2009, 01:46 AM

28 posts, read 90,888 times
The Wright Brothers traffic isn't too bad. We live at a fly path where Dayton Wright, WPAFB, and the strip in West Carrollton all intersect from time to time and the loudest planes are of course the C-5s from WPAFB. Wright Brothers occasionally has fly ins where there may be a few louder aircraft like old WW II planes (a B-17 was there last year) but those are few and far between and besides its neat to see those in flight.

Old 05-14-2009, 01:22 PM

390 posts, read 1,048,910 times
I live about thirty seconds away from the Dayton International Airport in Vandalia which is easily five times as big and you really get used to it. It's not even that bad at first and now after being here I don't even notice the noise. It's sort of cool to live near an airport though, you get to see alot. The sky always looks pretty in the evening, too with all of the airplane's smoke marks whitelined against the orange and purple sunset.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:37 AM

164 posts, read 382,322 times
I'm a bit late to reply here, but wanted to chime in. I recently moved into a house that's about one mile due North of the end of the runway at Wright Bros (MGY) Airport. Honestly, the sound is very minimal and you do get used to it. Nearly all the traffic is small (mostly single-engine, occasionally twins) airplanes so it's definitely not the jet noise you'd think of as "living next to an airport" in most cases. There's one or two jets that use the airport on a relatively infrequent basis so it's pretty rare to hear any jets flying over at all. As was mentioned above, the C-5s from Wright-Patt flying over at 3,000 feet are louder than anything out of Wright Bros and no matter where you live in Dayton they'll be flying over your house sooner or later.

Full disclosure, I'm a pilot (of small private planes like fly out of Wright Bros) so I know I appreciate the noise more than the average person... when I hear one my reaction is to run out and look at it. But that said, the noise really is minimal and I doubt anyone would have an issue living anywhere near the airport.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:07 PM

104 posts, read 314,128 times
Just to add a different perspective here. With the addition of the Austin Road interchange, and the inevitable development that will result, I thought one of the goals was to increase traffic at the Wright Brothers airport? I may be wrong, but that might be something to consider for down the line a bit.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:16 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,544,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgasper View Post
Just to add a different perspective here. With the addition of the Austin Road interchange, and the inevitable development that will result, I thought one of the goals was to increase traffic at the Wright Brothers airport? I may be wrong, but that might be something to consider for down the line a bit.
Hmmm...hadn't thought of that! Yes, traffic may increase at the airport. But I can't imagine that it'll be anywhere near the amount Dayton has. Noise and congestion from trucks that access the industrial areas off Austin Pike might be more of an issue...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton